Vinyl releases on pre order

I am watching Amazon too, but I do have a pending order for all four at Elusive Disc.

One of my most anticipated new releases is in the hands of the Z-man for delivery shortly: Tone Poet reissue of Wayne Shorter’s Schizophrenia. This is one of my favorite Wayne Shorter albums.

4 Likes

Rafael Kubelik made a great recording for DGG of Dvorak’s New World Symphony with Karajan’s Berliner PO, (probably) in the mid-70s. The cover photo had Kubelik standing with New York’s MetLife skyscraper behind him. In its day, it was regarded as one of the very best recordings of that symphony, more highly praised than Karajan’s own recording.

Kubelik’s recording is pretty much a performance benchmark for the work, as are his recordings of Nos. 7 and 8. This would make a really nice 3-LP box set.

I have the Clearaudio reissue, mastered AAA at Emil Berliner, but a new remaster from the four track would be icing on the cake.

I have a DG box of the complete cycle.

Thanks @anon70766008 and @JosquinDesPrez. I have ordered the Clearaudio 180g vinyl from a Discogs seller, new.

Well done, sir!

I have never owned, or even heard, a Clearaudio LP. Are they an improvement on a’standard’ (180g) release from DGG? Do Clearaudio have a licensing arrangement to use the original DGG master tapes?

I believe that Mravinsky’s savagely brilliant DGG stereo recordings of Tchaikovsky’s Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Symphonies with his Leningrad PO were reissued by Clearaudio. Has anyone been able to compare those LPs with the original DGG releases?

I have tried yet again, just now, to get onto the Discogs site to buy a set of those Mravinsky Tchaikovsky LPs, which are supposedly for sale.

Once again, I find it completely impenetrable. The site seems to operate a sort of digital chastity belt - utterly maddening!

Clearaudio never reissued the Mravinsky Tchaikovsky’s symphonies. That was Analogphonic, the South Korean reissue label. DG Classics subsequently released them as well, pressed from the same plates.

Clearaudio reissues are on par with Speakers Corner, but they have a small catalog.

I use Discogs all the time and find it mostly pretty easy and straightforward to use. What issues are you having?

1 Like

It’s a very non-logically laid out process to navigate the Discogs “Marketplace”

The “search marketplace” function does work and you can narrow down to media type, etc., but it frequently brings up what looks like duplicate releases that you have to browse separately. And no matter what, when you’ve drilled own to the specific item you think you want, triple-check by reading the item description and not just relying on the search to have turned up what you were looking for.

All this said I’ve had great luck buying on Discogs; never a problem.

2 Likes

When a search shows those multiple duplicates, just bring up one of them. Where it show the list of releases there is usually a link like “Other Versions View All”. Then you can scroll through all of them instead of trying to sort out those duplicates. At least that works for me with classical.

It took me just a few seconds to bring up the listings page for the Analogphonic Mravinsky Tchaikovsky: Evgeny Mravinsky - Tchaikovsky Symphonies no.4,5 & 6 (Vinyl, Germany, 2017) For Sale | Discogs

What Bart says about double-checking a listing and the sellers claims is sage advice. I have had issues with Discogs sellers getting it wrong (like selling me U.S.-pressed ECM albums, when listings claimed German pressed, and I commented to seller to make sure that’s true).

1 Like

I find it impossible to physically order records which I see as listed for sale on the Dicogs site. I have been trying to get hold of the Mravinsky/Leningrad PO Tchaikovsky reissues for years, without success.

I suppose this is just the 2013 pressing repackaged with extra bonus tracks.
• 180g Vinyl
• Re-Mastered From Original 1973 1/4" Stereo Analog Tape Master
• Re-Mastered By Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering
• Pressed at Pallas in Germany
• Gatefold Jacket

Have you registered an account? You can’t order anything without being logged in.

1 Like

I don’t know, Clive. I get so cross that I never go near the site!

Was it already in 2X 45 pm in 2013?
Have you it? And if yes, do you know how it compares vs a 1973 good pressing ?
( I don’t know if it’s the same 2013 BG mastering)

Not it’s not 45 and it’s the 2015 (apologies I did state 2013) pressing. I don’t have an original to compare to but I wouldn’t bet on being too much sq difference on the new one. As for the 2x coloured vinyl, it’s just a gimmick for me to attract gullible people.

1 Like

Just create an account and login. It’s really not that difficult. My wife is computer illiterate and she deals with that stuff all the time. Or get someone to help. There’s no good reason you shouldn’t be able to get that album if you want it. It’s worth the trouble. :slight_smile:

I have tried a number of times, believe me!

The site isn’t broken. I’m really sorry you’re frustrated and annoyed by it, but I think this has to be a case of user error. Get someone to help you. I promise you I have bought many records on Discogs over the years, and while I have issue with sellers I have never had an issue with the Discogs website itself. It works just fine for buying once you pick something (assuming you are logged into an account). It ends up being no harder than ordering records on Amazon in the end.

Thanks, JDP, I shall see if someone can help.