Vinyl releases on pre order

I hope you get that album you want. It’s worth the effort. :slight_smile:

You would think so. I don’t understand why these Mravinsky DGG Tchaikovsky LPs are so difficult to find. They are performed with a furious passion unlike any other Tchaikovsky symphony recordings that I have ever heard.

I completely agree about those recordings. They are the benchmark. It would be nice if DG Classics did another round of releases for the 3-LP box set.

I hope you get it so we can gush over it like children at XMas together in this forum. :slight_smile:

Yes, I suppose that it would be too much to hope that they would appear in DGG’s new ‘Original Source’ series.

I have Carlos Kleiber’s Beethoven Seventh, the Gilels/Amadeus Trout Quintet, and a few others.

Utterly brilliant recordings, wonderful remastering and DGG’s very best silent German LP pressings.

2 Likes

It’s an absolute guarantee they won’t be reissued in DG The Original Source Series, ever. They don’t meet the criteria for it.

Which criteria don’t they meet?

Well, the Mravinsky were recorded about 10 years too early.

The entire premise of The Original Source Series is on what DG thought would be the coming of quadrophonic sound. Starting in the early 70s, they recorded to 1/2" four-track tape, anticipating quad would be a thing. For the regular releases we all know they made 1/4" two-track copy tapes and mastered from those. They never mastered the original tapes for release. So now, The Original Source Series has gone back to those original four track tapes. Emil Berliner Studios built custom mixing and mastering console, so they can directly master from the four-track tapes to the cutting lathe, without an intermediate two-track copy tape. That is what this series is all about.

The Mravinsky recordings will never be reissued in The Original Source series for the very simple reason that they were never recorded to 1/2" four-track tape to begin with: they predate that by a decade.

In fact, the original Karajan Maher 5 included Kindertotenlieder on side four. For this series they omitted that because it was never recorded on four-track to begin with, so not a candidate for the series.

Read about it all here: https://www.the-original-source.com

2 Likes

Thanks for that very detailed explanation.

I have bought the Karajan Mahler Fifth, and it contains a liner note, which explains that the ‘Kindertotenlieder’ was excluded ‘because it was not taped in 4-track’.

The Gilels/Amadeus Schubert ‘Trout’ Quintet LP in the same series excludes the Quartettsatz for the same reason. Which is a great shame, as it is a great performance of that powerful intense piece.

2 Likes

Hank Mobley - No Room For Squares, BN Classic Series (2023)

A Price hike for the Blue Note Classic Series but one of the best thus far in the series so even though it’s gone up I’ll still pay the asking price. Although if you’re prepared to sit it out cheaper coppies will start to appear.

4 Likes

Leon Phal - Stress Killer, Heavenly Sweetness (2023)

Excellent new Jazz music and excellent value…

David Gordon Trio - Pachyderm, Mister Sam Records (2023)

Originally released on CD and Digital File back in 2022 and now with a reduced track listing to fit onto vinyl this excellent LP is well worth the price.

1 Like

The latest in the Craft Small Batch series.

Press release below:

Craft Recordings’ acclaimed Small Batch vinyl series returns with an audiophile pressing of Thelonious Monk’s Brilliant Corners . A landmark title in the pianist’s celebrated catalog, the 1957 album not only introduces several Monk originals, but also features an all-star line-up of talent, including Sonny Rollins, Max Roach, and Paul Chambers. Shipping September 8th and limited to just 4,000 copies worldwide, Brilliant Corners can be pre-ordered today exclusively at CraftRecordings.com/SmallBatch .

As with previous “Small Batch” releases, Brilliant Corners features lacquers cut from the original tapes (AAA) by Bernie Grundman and pressed on 180-gram vinyl atRTI using Neotech’s VR900 compound. This one-step lacquer process (as opposed to the standard three-step process) allows for the utmost level of musical detail, clarity, and dynamics while reducing the amount of surface noise on the record. The limited nature of these pressings guarantees that each record is a true representation of the original lacquer and is as close as the listener can get to the original recording.

Each copy is individually numbered and encased in a foil-stamped, linen-wrapped slipcase featuring an acrylic inset of the original artwork. The vinyl disc ­– extractable through a unique, frictionless ribbon pull tab – is housed in a reproduction of the album’s original tip-on jacket from Riverside Records and protected by an archival-quality, anti-static, non-scratching inner sleeve. New liner notes from the GRAMMY Award-winning music historian, journalist, and producer, Ashley Kahn complete the package.

3 Likes

Looking forward to listening to the new material. Never bought Blues&Lonesome because it was an album made up of covers. This one though should be interesting.:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I had the pre order email for this excellent release but think I’ll hold back for a used releases I noted that they are offering copies of the excellent Relaxin’by The Miles Davis Quintet at a reduced rate if you buy both so the SBS aren’t selling in as larger numbers as Craft thought so holding on might be prudent.

Eivind Aarset & Jan Bang - Last Two Inches of Sky, Jazzland (2023)

More excellent electronic modern Jazz from Norway.

2 Likes

No need for me to worry about the price – my copy’s free because the folk at Craft give preferential treatment to West Ham fans, as you well know.

5 Likes

Another marketing gag of the world’s most famous Bluesrock Coverband :wink:

Just listening to the first single on Radio at the moment. Well, not as bad as the latest Springsteen cr*p, but who needs it? Well, it’s a matter of taste anyway

Who?

1 Like

Mr Springsteen doesn’t need me to defend him, but not many songwriters or performers are in his class.

I do wonder about this, if it isn’t mining too deeply into her catalogue , after all she isn’t here .

For the sake of clarity my favourite is Eva -Acoustic which mines some outtakes /rehearsals

I hope my comment causes no offence

1 Like