Vinyl releases on pre order

Hi @Dreadatthecontrols also read it somewhere. over here it costs 120 EUR, no bad price but i suppose that it will be similiar quality to the sampler “Great Women Of Song”, which is ok, but not really good. did you order it?

1 Like

Greetings @krautnaimie 120eu sounds very good, are you sure its the same 7LP set? No I havent ordered yet, I might be interested but I already have Pastel Blues, I Put A Spell On You and soon Wild Is The Wind from the Acoustic Sounds Series, so I will already have half of whats in the box and I’m not a completist.

I listened to one of The Great Woman Of Song series recently, I think it was the Dinah Washington and it sounded awful like a cheap CD.

This box set is claimed to be newly remastered and cut from the original analog tapes

1 Like

Yes, it`s the same set in the decca shop, I am not sure about the remaster, I am totally happy with AS “I put a spell on you”, wanted to buy “Wild is the Wind” but I could hear it at my friend’s and compared it with the new one from Billy Holiday “Distingue Lovers”, which was a class better for my ears. I am fortunately not a completist, too :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Wild is the Wind was originally taken from different recording sessions and so the source quality is variable. Did you listen all the way through? Some tracks are definitely a cut or two above the others. Side 2 is the gem - It’s worth it just for the title track and Black is The Color of my True Love’s Hair, which were live recordings and sound great IMHO

3 Likes

We listened to both albums and we both voted for Billie Holiday, IMO “I Put A Spell On You” sounds better

Oh yes, I put a Spell On You is fab!

2 Likes

It is, although I prefer the substance of Pastel Blues

3 Likes

A collaboration with my ‘90s

3 Likes

I bought this after you posted, sounds absolutely amazing. It’s made me order Pastel Blues as already have “I put a spell on you”.

1 Like

McCoy Tyner - Today & Tomorrow, Impulse/Verve by Request (2023)

These Third Man Verve by Request titles are getting more expensive with each release. Fantastic recording though.

4 Likes

The Ramsey Lewes Trio - I’m in With the In Crowd, Argo/Verve by Request (2023)

71zzoBrMT3L.AC_SX679

5 Likes

@Bobthebuilder thanks for the heads up on Ramsey Lewis and McCoy Tyner. I was waiting for those preorders on Amazon.

My copy of Tone Poet Extensions is on its way for Sunday delivery. This is one of my most anticipated Tone Poet titles, and I have heard the sound is stellar.

2 Likes

That’s a terrific album. I’ve got the original '65 Cadet Label pressing and sounds surprisingly good!

2 Likes

Kokoroko - Could We Be More (remixes), Brownswood (2023)

Remix project of the brilliant Kokoroko’s debut Long Player. Just sad I have to wait until next February to get my hands on it.

Bud Powell - Amazing Bud Powell Vol.1, BN/Classic Series (2024)

1 Like

Clifford Brown - Memorial Album, BN/Classic Series (2024)

1 Like

Mal Waldron & Terumasa Hino - Reminicent Suite , Bbe J Jazz Masterclass (2024)

Looking forward to this.

@Richard.Dane @krautnaimie

Is this Nina - I Put A Spell On You, the best pressing of it?

Acoustic Sounds Series - Philips PHS 600-172 - 180 Gram Virgin Vinyl. AAA 100% Analogue - Mastered by Ryan K. Smith*

1 Like

I don’t know whether it’s the best but it’s definitely extremely good indeed. Pastel Blues also from the same Acoustic Sounds series is similarly superb.

1 Like

This is a nice album. I have the MMJ45 version from years ago. And with a mono cartridge it sounds really awesome.

1 Like