Vinyl releases on pre order

Yes, the AS Version is fantastic, one of the best of this series but I don’t know other versions of that record.

1 Like

Neil Young - Before and After, Warner (2023)

A mostly acoustic journey through his musical history the 13 tracks are all blended together to for a 48 minute non stop piece of music should be very interesting.

2 Likes

I thought Kokoroko’s debut promised a lot, was a long time coming and didnt really deliver imo. Not sure that remixing it will add much, will have to see.

…in the meantime though we can be satisfied listening to the greatest living Jazzman, right?

1 Like

Abdullah Ibrahim - 3, Gearbox Records (2024)

As early as January we could possibly have one of the releases of 2024 across three vinyls this boxset contains two recordings one without an audience prior to Abdullah’s concert at The Barbican recorded direct to tape by Kristina Rhodes & Charlie Rikard the second was a digital recording of the concert itself remastered by Caspar Sutton -Jones at Gearbox.

releases January 26, 2024

Abdullah Ibrahim; Fazioli F278 concert grand piano
Cleave Guyton Jr.; flute, piccolo
Noah Jackson; double bass, cello

Recorded at the Barbican Hall, July 15th 2023

Volume 1 was recorded directly to reel-to-reel tape without an audience

Volume 2 is a digital recording of the live concert performance later that evening

Volume 1 - Direct to Tape
Recording engineers: Kristina Rhodes, Charlie Rickard

Microphones: Western Electric RA-1142 (piano); RCA KU3A (flute); Neuman U87 (double bass/cello); 3 x Schoeps Mikrofone Mk2 (Decca Tree)
Microphone Preamplifiers: Telefunken V72 & V76, EAB V65c
Recorded onto a Scully 280B 1-inch 8-track tape machine
Mixed down 1/2-inch stereo tape by Caspar Sutton-Jones and Darrel Sheinman at Studio 13, West London, assisted by Isaac Boehm
Mastered by Caspar Sutton-Jones at Gearbox Records using Studer H37 tape machine, Decca valve equalisation and Telefunken U73B limiters

Volume 2 - Live at the Barbican
High-resolution digital recording by David Strange using Barbican’s in-house microphones and Digico SD10 recording desk
Digital files mixed onto Studer C37 1/4-inch stereo tape machine
Mastered from tape using Maselec MEA-2 and Decca equalisation, Maselec MLA-2 compressor and Telefunken U73B limiters
Mixed and mastered by Caspar Sutton-Jones at Gearbox Records

Lacquers cut on a Haeco Scully lathe with Westrex RA1700 series amps, Westrex 3DIIA cutting head; monitored on Audio Note equipment

3 Likes

Ben Webster - Soulville, Verve/Acoustic Sounds (2024)

It’s going to be am expensive January.

3 Likes

Bill Evans Trio - Moon Beams, OJC/Craft (2024)

5 Likes

Listening to this now, lovely. Next on the list to add to my BE collection.

This release is from Crafts Essential Jazz collection I can’t find any info on remastering and pressing but I’ve pre ordered a copy on the strength of all of their previous Riverside and Prestige releases which are almost always excellent.

1 Like

May I ask who from please Bob?

RIP Denny

Release date: 2 February, 2024

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Band On The Run, this special 2LP vinyl edition features the original album cut at half speed using a high-resolution transfer of the original master tapes from 1973 by Miles Showell at the legendary Abbey Road Studios, London, and a second LP of previously unreleased “underdubbed” mixes of the songs, housed in a premium slipcase. LP1 mirrors the US release which includes the song “Helen Wheels”. The set also includes two Linda McCartney Polaroid posters.

Tracklist:
LP1 - Band on the Run
Side A

1. Band on the Run
  2. Jet
  3. Bluebird
  4. Mrs. Vandebilt
  5. Let Me Roll It

Side B

1. Mamunia
  2. No Words
  3. Helen Wheels
  4. Picasso’s Last Words (Drink to Me)
  5. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five

LP2 - Band on the Run (Underdubbed Mixes)
Side C

1. Band on the Run
  2. Mamunia
  3. No Words
  4. Jet
  5. Bluebird

Side D

1. Mrs. Vandebilt
  2. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five
  3. Picasso’s Last Words (Drink to Me)
  4. Let Me Roll It

Formats:
Vinyl LP

Label:
Capitol

3 Likes

Juno but I think Rough Trade also have it on Pre Order.

1 Like

Johnny Cash - Man in Black, Columbia/Music on Vinyl (2024)

3 Likes

William DeVaughn - Be Thankful For What You Got, Demon Records (2024)

50th Anniversary reissue of this Soul Classic I actually have a Chelsea original without a cover and a reissue from a couple of years back but I’d still be interested on what the reviews have to say.

2 Likes

Joel Ross - Nublues, Blue Note (2024)

Ese often does a fantastic version of the title track of that in her concerts Dread, as @steviebee will attest.

If the verdict that the mastering/SQ is good, I’m in!

1 Like

I so attest! So help me gawd…

1 Like

Not Dread Kev I’m middle aged and slightly balding no dreadlocks at all.

1 Like

Sorry Bob! Many apologies - not getting any younger meslf!

1 Like

Linval Thompson - I Love Marijuana, MOV (2024)

If you don’t have a copy of this wonderful record then this Music on Vinyl reissue is well worth getting I have the MOV reissue from a few years ago and I presume it’s cut from the same plates.

3 Likes

Blue Mitchell - Down With It, BN/.Tone Poet (2024)

4 Likes