Vinyl releases on pre order

Joe has been working with Charles on his albums since at least the 90s if not before.

And yes, this is a Kevin Gray master.

1 Like

Sale records, all great sounding.

The Bowie ā€œWelcome to the Blackoutā€ that I posted last week is exceptional, canā€™t understand why it took 40 years to release. You can really crank up the volume with Bowieā€™s vocals pushed forward in the mix and the band sounding like they having a great time.

IMG_0667
IMG_0666

2 Likes

Iā€™d be more concerned about the half speed process than whether it had been mixed and mastered digitally. Iā€™ve not been particularly impressed by any of the half speed efforts Iā€™ve purchased to date.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback on this, and to Bobthebuilder too. I was expecting/fearing that. I have caved in and ordered a copy at c.10% discount. I am now excited to get this and hear it. It was my intro to Jarrett back in my early 20ā€™s so I am looking forward to hearing it in best possible quality.

1 Like

I got to briefly meet Charles L. at the London Blue Note pop up store late last year and he is a wonderful chap.

2 Likes

Just came in via email. It seems to be the same as their earlier box set. Remastering is done by BG and a friend who owns the box set says itā€™s a good sounding record.

Hi @kuma ā€“ I have the box set you mention, and yes, Bernieā€™s cut sounds excellent!

Sahib SHIHAB - Sahib Shihab & THE DANISH RADIO JAZZ GROUP, Sam Records (2024)

4 Likes

Neil Ardley, Ian Carr, Don Rendell - Greek Variations, Endless Happiness (2024)

Not sure about Endless Happiness Records so might have to wait for some reviews before buying.

Hey Kev.
Thatā€™s good to hear! :+1:
You just never know.

Their last one-stop Mingus reissue was delivered warped and completely outdone by the original pressing! ( we could even hear it something was off without a direct AB )

2 Likes

Beth Hart Band ā€“ Immortal, from MoV, on 180g vinyl. Due early March. Iā€™m tempted but the CD I have is so full of dynamics which I donā€™t think vinyl can match.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll bet that one is a straight vinyl transfer taken from a previous CD issue (Universal UK?).

I have been waiting for this to come as part of the Decca jazz reissues - one track was on the compilation cd - Journeys in Modern Jazz. Is there any news of the series?

According to the Hoffmann Board I believe that the ā€˜British Jazz Explosionā€™ series has been mooted as extinguished (although there is a comment on there that there might be further piecemeal releases). Project organiser Tony Higgins doesnā€™t seem to have commented either way. Too bad, if it turns out that the series is discontinued.

Thanks - that would be a shame. Iā€™m not sure why their pricing is not nearer the classic Blue Note reissues, rather than the Tone Poet.

The earlier ones seem to have been around the Ā£20-25 mark, which is in ā€˜Classicsā€™ territory. Iā€™ve found them to be fair value at that price.

Iā€™m looking forward to this. I pre-ordered it a while ago and it finally shipped this weekend.

All the Sam Records reissues tend to be top notch.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve probably misremembered but I thought I had paid Ā£30 plus for the ones I got. Anyhow I had a look again at the Hoffman thread and there certainly doesnā€™t seem to be any optimism.

I tempted to pick them up at a certain behemoth site when they were discounted. Yes, usual price around the Ā£30 mark.

Maybe but without real evidence Iā€™ll reserve judgment until the reviews come out.