Vinyl sibilance - your advice

Try putting the TT further away from the speakers.

Phil

1 Like

Naim gray interconnect cables are now more expensive than aftermarket cables?
naim_RCA_DIN3
These are def. not overkill with your table. My dealer always use Naim inteconnects from the source end to a Naim amp. DIN input sounds better too.

Never had a good luck with Audioquest.

It’s the cartridge, arm or antiskate setting. The only way to figure out which is to spend some time with your dealer. Put your cartridge in a known good turntable or put a known good cartridge in your turntable. If the problem is not the cartridge then its the arm (probably bad bearings or bad antiskate mech). Shouldn’t be too difficult to troubleshoot - drop you turntable off at the dealer’s doorstep and let him figure it out!

The P6 is a mid level TT not a formula 1 race car and I’ve no doubt the odd one sneaks past quality control with a few minor issues.
If your still under warranty or have a good dealer as you have as getting one to come to your house is pretty good service then this is obviously the route to go down.
If that’s not possible then take it to a good TT repair/set up technician.
Alternatively roll up your sleeves and have a go yourself as I said a Rega P6 isn’t a formula one car because if you ever want to use a cartridge from another manufacturer you will almost certainly have to address VTA to a greater or lesser degree. You could of course use Rega carts forever but from what I’ve read and hear the budget and mid level ones can be bettered for equal price your Ania for instance their top of the range carts I can’t comment on but from what I have read they sound very nice.

1 Like

A very interesting video about the P6 from Upscale Audio the biggest seller of TT’s in the U.S.

I dont believe that is correct. I actually recall Ivor Tiefenbrun saying the opposite.
I started a discussion on this some time back if interested

2 Likes

@Kryptos
Having followed this thread from the start with interest I was under the impression that you had this issue from day 1 and wasnt getting much joy from the dealer. Hence my advice to escalate a complaint using your consumer rights. Another poster has pointed out that the protocol for contacting Rega is via the dealer, the purpose of my advising to write a letter is twofold, I am confident that this would lead to a more determined approach to resolving your dissatisfaction and secondly can be used as evidence if all else failed and you wanted to raise a claim through your credit card.
Perhaps I’ve misunderstood as you now appear to be backtracking a little…anyway hope you get it sorted, good luck
:+1:

1 Like

Oh I actually appreciate your support here.

It is just that when I bought the deck I had investigated turntables in the price range and came out with the Planar6. Then I found a dealer that stocked it. I listened to it for hours without any pressure from them. And now I am pretty sure that how it functions and that there is not a manufacturing fault.

This makes it hard for me to come down hard on the dealer as I don’t feel they deserve that.

In terms of backing off, only because we went into harsher lockdown measures so I’ll probably wait a while before going to listen further.

:grin:

This question has been raised again in other places, I recall being told play it closed when I bought my LP12. Someone pointed out that generally in a dealers lids are left off for aesthetics and to avoid damage.

I was told either closed or off for LP12s. I prefer off.

As a P8 owner, I have little option.

1 Like

You do sound to me like someone who is trying to talk themself into accepting the unacceptable. Presumably when you listened to it for hours, the issue didnt manifest otherwise you wouldnt have bought it.
In any case, from everything you’ve said on this thread it sounds like there is definitely an issue and ultimately and most importantly you are not happy.
Sadly, unless your prepared to take a more robust approach I think your going to be stuck with it.
Best of luck

I guess from this that you didn’t have a home audition. You listened for hours in the dealer’s listening room - and presumably sibilance wasn’t an issue. When you got it home, was the sibilance immediately apparent, ditto any noticeable left-right difference? If yes, then is the system at home identical to the system you heard at the dealer’s? If not, then maybe the other system components are helping emphasise then any sibilance. If yes then maybe look to the room: yours may be emphasising any sibilance relative to tge dealer’s room.

And if it at first sounded fine at home, and the sibilance developed after, did you change anything with system or room? If you did change anything in tge system or room, can you try reverting? If nothing changed with either, then it would seem that either your ears or your brain became more sensitive to sibilance: in which case if you struggle to find a vinyl source that is better, you may have to either learn to live with it or find some way of toning it down, perhaps high frequency treatment ov the room, or even different speakers.

That’s a large assumption.

If your dealer is willing there could be a simple test to establish if it is a characteristic of the cart. Could the dealer supply you with a demo of a different cart? Perhaps the Ania pro.

I demoed it on pretty much what I have now. Naim Star, Rega P6 with Ania, Moon phono. Only difference was that it was a set of Boenicke floorstanders. I took my own headphones with, but they are a lower spec Sennheiser than I now have. It was actually because of this demo that I got acquainted with Naim as a brand and the Star and a little while after I bought the Star.

As for the sibilance. At the time of demo I was just starting with vinyl so I had a limited collection. And as I said above it does not do it on all records. And as luck would have it, the records I took with me do not exhibit sibilance, even now.

So with everything I found out from the dealer, the helpful folks on this forum and then also on two other vinyl forums I can currently summarise it as follows:

• The sibilance is perfectly reproducible on another Rega RP6 deck with another Ania.
  • The sibilance is perfectly reproducible with another Moon phono stage.
  • It happens under all conditions that I can set on my deck as well as phono.
  • Most records that do show it shows it left heavy. A few shows it balanced between left and right and two thirds of my record collection does not show it significantly.
  • Some people who have heard it say not to be bothered by the sound some do.
  • It is known that the Ania’s elliptical stylus emphasizes sibilance and IGD.
  • With my Moon phono I can only approximate the recommended Rega load on the cart. The main difference being the capacitance which I can do less than half.

All this points me in a specific direction. I need another cart or phono or both.

1 Like

Yeah they said they will try and source one to demo.

I also want to demo the Rega Aria which is built for the Rega cartridges.

It isn’t when reviewing your comments…
Anyway, like I said best of luck
:+1:

Because I am not sending letters in triplicate and contacting my payment authority? There is a point where I think one has to accept the consequences of a purchase. If the item was faulty or I was willfully misled during the sale it would have been a completely different matter.

I had an issue many years ago … when Rega Planar 3 …K9 cartridge had sibilence…I found that cartridge bolts had worked loose…I tightened them bingo…solved…just a thought…