Vocal Jazz Music thread

And the tax man gets his share a win - win :sunglasses:

2 Likes

preferably the taxman than some big tech multinational :grinning:

1 Like

I think the Annette Peacock is a bootleg? or at least unauthorized release?

It was released on the Aura label which put out X-dreams and the Perfect Release mainly including tracks from those two albums. Sound quality is mediocre. I included in the selection not for the recording but because it’s a lovely pic of AP.

1 Like

Can we assume that you’re already familiar with themes famous ones? eg on the female side, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Carmen McRae, Shirley Horn, Anita O’Day, Betty Carter, Helen Merill, Peggy Lee, Dinah Washington, Chris Connor, Sheila Jordan etc…
On the male side, I’d put Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Jimmy Scott, Johnny Hartman, Mark Murphy, Joe Williams, Tony Bennet

for more contemporary ones, Patricia Barber, Claire Martin, Karin Allyson, Cecile Mc Laurin Salvant, Tierney Sutton, Cyrille Aimee, Dianne Reeves, Carmen Lundy etc… to name but a few.

A bit harder on the male side, but Andy Bey, Mose Allison, Georgie Fame, Kurt Elling, Kevin Mahogany, Ben Sidran, Gregory Porter … come to mind

1 Like

Thanks. I do have both x-dreams and the perfect release, but seem to have missed the live one at the time.

1 Like

You’re not missing much. X-dreams and Perfect Release are essential though. So lucky to have seen her live twice when she lived in the UK.

2 Likes

I only saw her once with Bruford when they were touring Feels Good to Me. Fantastic band and great music.

2 Likes

Oh wow great stuff - the albums she did with Bill are brilliant.

1 Like

Had heard of AP, but never heard anything of her’s. Listening now, beautiful voice…think she will be my tidal playlist today

1 Like

@David nice one - AP is an interesting person married to Gary Peacock then Paul Bley huge influence on David Bowie & Mick Ronson. One of the first people to own and play a Moog Synth.

If you can track down an album called X-Dreams it is well worth a listen with the track ‘This Feel Within’ an all time favourite for me.

1 Like

I’ve see Sarah Dowling two or three times at local jazz clubs.
Brilliant voice and wonderful stage presence.

2 Likes

I didn’t know this one. and I’m a huge fan of Wes and cannonball
Thanks!

1 Like

Billie Holiday-All or nothing at all. Tony Bennett with the Count Basie Orchestra. Frank Sinatra-In the wee small hours. Mel Torme-In a soulful mood.

2 Likes

His first album under his name. Available on Tidal too.

Great new jazz album with Denise Jannah back in top form;
https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/596-embrace-me-gidon-nunes-vaz-quartet

"There’s a lot of quality musicianship on this recording; it’s very clear. So very rare to hear a group of young people pick up on the vibes (of these standards) and be true to the music. God bless you……Keep doin what you’re doin.”
- Don Sebesky Jazz is a living tradition. This recording shows yet again how the younger generation gets inspired by what came before them and the older generation gets revitalized by the energy and fire of the younger generation.
Gidon has handpicked a band of seasoned young musicians. These young men are among the top talents of the european scene. In Spite of their relative young age they already have an impressive track record: Jazz Orchestra of the Concertgebouw, Phillip Harper, Frank McComb, Cory Henry, Ignacio Berroa, Jesse van Ruller, Ellis Marsalis, Herlin Riley, Ack van Rooyen, Randy Brecker, Steve Masakowski, Wess ‘Warmdaddy’ Anderson, Gregory Porter, Johnny Vidacovich, Nicholas Payton, Peter Bernstein …… are a few of the masters where they have done their apprenticeship.

And talking about masters, Gidon hit the jackpot when he found Blue Note recording star Denise Jannah willing to add her magic to the date. Denise is in top form here, clearly inspired by her young colleagues, she delivers a pointed yet relaxed rendition of these classic songs.

This recording of Don Sebesky’s ‘Yesterday’s Dreams’ is in a sense a premiere. It is the first time the composition is being heard with lyrics. Joan Gannij wrote the lyrics and Mr. Sebesky gave her his blessing for telling a good story.

2 Likes

Anjani: Her album Blue Alert is one of my favorites.

3 Likes

She has a couple more that are worth checking out.

1 Like

Another great album for this list
Kenny Rankin - A Song for You

That is a bit too smooth for me…
Denise Jannah or Sarah Dowling sounds more like real music to me. But she has a good voice.

1 Like