Volume bug in latest Naim control app?

Obviously I’ll raise this with Naim support but just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this.

The volume scale for a digital input source seems to based on the volume last set for a streaming source such as UPnP. This won’t affect analogue preamps using system automation.

For example:

1. Start listening to UPnP at volume 30.
  2. Switch input to optical in.
  3. The volume slider moves to max (yikes!)
  4. But max volume is now 30. So the slider’s entire scale is now 0-30, not 0-100 (or whatever you set your max to in the settings.

In 11 years, this is really the first major bug I’ve experienced with the app.

The workaround I found is unacceptable. If I want reasonable volume travel on digital in, I have to go to UPnP and play (not merely set) a brief bit of music at a volume significantly louder than I might want and then switch back to digital input to get more realistic control from the volume slider.

This problem started immediately after the last major app update.

Anyone seen similar?

I dont have this setup, so cant comment, but a few questions spring to mind

1. Is this Android or IOS?
  2. Have you tried it on more than one device?
  3. Is it solid or intermittent?
  4. Does restarting the app work as a workaround?
  5. Does going outside the house, closing the door, turn around 3 times, then come back in work as a workaround?

@GadgetMan all logical questions.

• Is this Android or IOS?
    Android 14. I moved away from using iOS for the Naim app 4 years ago. First issue, I’ve had. My old iOS devices have long developed problems and are bricked so not anything I can test.
  • Have you tried it on more than one device?
    Good question, No. This is on a UQ2. I can always borrow a Qb2 from one of the kid’s bedrooms and see if this glitch is confined to controlling old platform Uniti’s. Might have to wait a day.
  • Is it solid or intermittent?
    Persistent
  • Does restarting the app work as a workaround?
    Nope
  • Does going outside the house, closing the door, turn around 3 times, then come back in work as a workaround?
    Well it makes me feel better.

Sorry, no 2, I meant another android device - although your answer works well

Ahhh this is why even seasoned engineers bounce ideas off other people.

Yes my other Android device works fine … because it is so old it is not able to install the latest version of the app. It is running Android 7.1 and a pretty old version of the Naim app. Works perfectly fine - as long as the new Naim app on my usual device is closed.

1 Like

I believe I have the same issue and posted the day of the new apps release. I get around the issue by enabling hardware volume on my phone which allows me to ramp up the volume in the app without using the slider.

Not ideal.

1 Like

I’ve got a support case open now so we’ll see what happens. I’d not thought about phone buttons. After using the slider for 11 years I forgot they existed. Currently, I’ve just put an old phone with old app back in service as a workaround.

It’s okay, but when I first had the problem I switched over to digital input to go on a Zoom for work and missed the first 10 mins trying to get it loud enough to hear anyone before I realised it was an app bug and swiched over to a USB headset.

Hopefully they’ll add source switching volume verification to their app’s QA test plan for the next release.

1 Like

Update from Naim Support.

The new app wasn’t tested on any legacy stteamers like the UQ2 because they don’t have any left to test with. :thinking:

1 Like

An interesting development……

For the record:

• Affects all non UPnP sources.
  • Works correctly on my Muso Qb2 so almost certainly an issue with old platform Unitis.

I’ve only just sent them a video showing the issue to help them understand. So give it a week or so for a reply.

1 Like

A worrying development…

Can you downgrade to an older version of the app to retain correct operation?

1 Like

You can use an old EOS Android phone that doesn’t support the latest app.

I’m sure they’ll fix it. Software has bugs. It happens.

2 Likes

I think @HiFiman may be interested in this per his recent thread?

My SL2s have died! - Hi-Fi Corner - Naim Audio - Community

Although he has a current streamer, not a legacy one…:thinking:

Yes, though it’s a technically unrelated problem. Apart from the fact it involves how volume works, the two issues have nothing in common at all.

I don’t believe that issue with the SL2s was even accurately root caused and determined to be an app issue necessarily.

Just to clarify…this is occurring with Android, any evidence it might be present on iOS. I could try with my UQ2 with iOS of a couple of different vintages if that would help.

You can try. It might help clarify the scope of the issue. I’m not even sure if is all Android devices either. Though affecting only old streamer control and only on Android seems unlikely I’m sure it’s not impossible.

Just open the app and select any source on a UQ2. If the master volume slider shows it is set to max, then you’ve reproduced it… Assuming you don’t actually have your UQ2 set to max :sweat_smile:

Sorry. The implications go well beyond a software bug.

Are you absolutely sure that’s what has been communicated? The new app has not been tested on legacy streamers?

What’s the best case scenario here, 30-50% (or more) of installed/sold streamers have not been tested with a major rewrite of the primary control app?

If that’s true I’m frankly astounded. How will any future iterations be tested for Apple or Andriod if they don’t have a single legacy streamer?

I’ve got a Core, Uniti Atom and a 272 living fairly happily together, how long before that won’t be the case?

I have it in writing, yes.

While that’s not great, bugs happen. Exact words were,

We no longer have legacy Naim products for testing, as they are discontinued.

But I’m confident a solution will emerge. I’m not losing sleep over it.

Fine, don’t support older products.

But hey, do us a favour and don’t break them.

1 Like