Vtuner down

There seems to be a strong case for a software update to allow some form of direct URL entry without going through any third party address server. Given the APP, it should not be difficult to create a locally generated station list.

Not having this feature is likely a choice than Naim has made to simplify the user interface and minimise user queries. However, for many of us, an address designation method under our control would be a real plus.

2 Likes

The service Naim uses to resolve the radio internet address has been down since Christmas eve. All parties are aware of the problem, but it is talking ages to fix.

The BBC and many others do not have a direct url to connect to any longer.

This could also be an otpion, but for an ‘off the shelve device’ convenience is crucial. For FM / DAB+ finding broadcasts and setting these as presets is limited by the amount of available broadcast on the FM band. However with internet radio, in view of the world wide reach, there is a place for something like a local/global repository. However if you buy a 1000 EUR/DLR + equipement, and then elying on a small private owned company is nto a wise decision. vTUner is/will be tomorrow still available for Naim devices, however it is not more (free) for users of e.g. Denon or other brands. The (commercial) alternatives, are not necessarily better, such as TuniIn, as they have sometimes blocked stations. Naim should push with other OEM that this becomes a government owned service or own the vTuner company together with other brands…

I assume that Naim could globally email all those that have registered streamers, to inform them of the situation if they wished.
Pau

I think they do.
I’m using minimserver and have set up a playlist which contains the urls to a few stations I listen to. The method I’m sure would work with other media servers(Asset etc)
I got the info on how to set it up on this forum somewhere, I’ll have a look for the info and post it here.

Update: found my source:-

The really useful post is at around #203

1 Like

It seems that BBC made substantial changes to their streaming delivery in October. The site referenced below provides more information and a link to current Akamai served BBC radio URLs. I don’t know why Vtuner hasn’t been updated.

Search Garfnet BBC.

Those using the minimstreamer transcoding license workaround will still be able to stream radio. As well as those using Kurt’s cloud solution I think.

Thanks. They are not BBC supported url’s. They also do not work here in France.
The BBC have changed their access to their internet services and a token to access is required. I don’t believe that individuals can get such a token. The aggregators apparently can.

Edit. Before Oct the BBC url’s worked directly. They no longer do as the BBC switched them off.
I use vtuner but since it has gone down I am using tunein ( an Auralic device). If Bubbleupnp can work on Naim devices that could be an option as Bubble use the tunein connection.

iRadio and vTuner is just a middle path routing the connection to the actual radio channels. If you have the direct link you should be able to connect to your favorite channel with Audirvana or Roon or such software and don’t care about vTuner anymore. It’s an outdated platform which is clear now and time to move on for Naim and others.

I use Audirvana Studio and listen mostly to The Jazz groove but I can listen to radio paradise and such too if I want to. If you have a computer you just install Audirvana Studio (free for 2 weeks), search for say “jazz radio” or browse in the radio list and get loads of channels listed and press play and your naim streamer will be brought back to life. If you enjoy radio there are far better solutions than vTuner out there.

1 Like

Exactly as Auralic do. Vtuner, or Tunein, or direct url when they are available.

what I find so amazing about this fuss, is that so many people still listen to the (internet) radio!!

I listen to The Jazz Groove (flac) like 12h per day :smiley:

1 Like

I get it - I listen to a US classical station in the background almost all day

2 Likes

Presets not connecting on my NDX2; but if I go into the internet radio tab the stations connect. Odd.

Do you connect your naim kit to audirvana on PC via upnp?

KBAQ is my local classical station and I stream them when I’m working. It’s one of the better stations too, I wish they’d go hires though.

Yes it’s connected through UPnP and requires no skills to get going. You also have a free app for android or iphone to control it and if you use M1 macbook (or later) you can use their smartphone app on your macbook (found in app store under iPad/iPhone apps just like the naim app)

I use an old Macmini as the server so it’s always on. I have found even Qobuz sounds better via Audirvana than native Naim implementation.

Glad I found this thread after being unable to listen to R4 or R6M today although I can get Classic FM. Which I don’t want :roll_eyes:

Will give it a go, cheers

1 Like