Vtuner down

vTuner doesn’t give a damn about the SLA with Naim and updates, he’s now off and on vacation

1 Like

It’s probably not even vtuner’s fault. I’d expect the service runs on paid for hosting somewhere with 99.9% uptime, it won’t be on vtuner’s own hardware. So Naim can chase vtuner can chase xyz hosting dot com who had a server outage with zero redundancy.

Looking at their 1985 design web page, vtuner UI and being a one mans show and reading about his history I wouldn’t be surprised he has the server park under his bed. If the data base had a fall back being their own issue it would be a quick fix. Given the time this takes, the lack of communication and the size of the issue I’m sure they are hacked and asked for ransom to unlock.

1 Like

I noticed on my Uniti Star there was no Internet radio on Christmas Day. Tried it on Boxing Day and everything seemed to be fine, although I only tried BBC radio channels. Since then, I don’t seem to be able to get any UK based radio stations with the exception of classic FM. No BBC Radio at all! I can stream and access Spotify etc.

From 2019…

On May 1, vTuner’s service apparently [fell over for eleven hours], and Fronteir Silcon, who used the vTuner service for their internet radio modules (used by people like Roberts, Grundig and others) switched just a week later to [a different provider causing great upheaval for listeners, since all their presets suddenly stopped working (and many products needed a firmware update). Bose’s products also have ceased using vTuner’s database, too.

Peter Johnson, vTuner’s CEO, posted quite a rant [on the Bose website revealing that the company charged “.40 cents” per product to vTuner, that Tunein has “a pathetic database”, and ends by claiming “What these consumer electronic companies want is free no matter how bad the quality of the service is”, adding that it “now looks like I will need to close vTuner soon.”

1 Like

Yamaha and many others have moved away
from vTuner.

Maybe Naim should do the same.

3 Likes

If Naim do decide at some point to use an alternative to vTuner, then all I would ask is that it is able to handle hi-def flac streams from the likes of Radio Paradise, as this was one of my main reasons for buying Naim over the alternatives. Internet radio via My Atom HE is the best I have heard it (Ethernet connection to the router of course) and it is so easy to use.

4 Likes

:+1:

IF Naim decide to move away from vTuner, what are the chances of it working on ‘legacy products’, like the N272?

1 Like

I’m the same, in the UK but no BBC channels

1 Like

Still unreliable in Ontario, Canada. No BBC stations, intermittent with others.

I assume that Naim will provide support for it’s legacy products as long as reasonably possible. No guaranties however …

Everything apart from BBC stations seem to be working in Cornwall, UK.
Don’t know if anyone has mentioned but don’t forget for those of you that run Assset you can access Tunein Radio via Naim app.

Anyway I’m off to play some vinyl :grin:

2 Likes

OK here in the Bristol area apart from BBC radio which I never listen to anyway.

How’s the stability these days?

I have a few paid versions of Audirvana including 3.5.

I had Studio for a year or so, but as mentioned above far too many services are becoming subscription only and these all add up so I’ve culled several things including Tidal/Audirvana/Roon, primarily because of rather limited usage.

Tempted to give AS another try.

1 Like

Is there also the possibility of somehow integrating the radio stations into the Naim with a UPNP playlist? Unfortunately I haven’t succeeded yet.

Works great IMO. Give it a go. They have a free trial :+1: They have partnered with many well known brands lately. I would hope Naim could open the door to such partnership too.

1 Like

Why are you trivialising the experience others are having and defending something totally unacceptable? Sure sh*t happens, but then it gets resolved in a couple of hours with something this simple. It is not complicated streaming service. It’s just a very tiny database and a bit of code to negotiate a link.

1 Like

Confirmed. I am in Toronto. The lack of BBC is the most annoying part for me. Radio 3 is my daily standard, especially during the holidays. I simply don’t understand how this could be taking days and days for the vTuner people to resolve. Even if it’s just one guy doing the coding.

Who says that? the www entry shows an employee listing at 24, not sure that includes exec/directors.