Vtuner down

All good in Norfolk but had to remove bbc station from favourite and rescan and re save.

1 Like

NDS working fine with all radio stations in Jersey. No reboot required.
Have been able to use radio via Roon throughout with all stations.
Out of interest does anyone know how Roon sources it’s radio stations?

Back in Hampshire. Like nothing ever happened. Except it really did. So I think we’d all like to know what actually happened, how much was down to too much post turkey recovery space and if there ever was and will be a SLA. And what The Naim Board consider might be the best way forward. Look forward to that on here before topic is closed.

There isn’t a Naim Board anymore, not for some time now.

Thanks @Richard.Dane and @Stevesky,

Quite honestly I’m amazed that vTuner got it back up and running so quickly given that it was the holiday season and the truly vast number of ‘symptoms’ that were being reported across the world.

Whether they’re a small company or it’s a so called ‘trivial’ application endlessly subcontracted to the Cloud with insufficient failover resources doesn’t really matter - someone came in and fixed it which we should all appreciate.

ATB for the New Year, J

8 Likes

There’s no reason to sugarcoat this mediocre approach towards a ‘solution’ of a severe ww outage of an inherent function-service of naim!

Agreed that we are thankful to all the hard working people involved to get this up and running again - thank you very much!

Disagree to feel comfortable now again how naim managed their communication (incl. clear root cause explanation), their missing user advices how to work around during these 4 long days of outage, and more importantly, how they will improve their SLs or promised features in the future and guarantee their premium brand and service quality. No matter if it is during wknds, holidays etc. - streaming is a ww and round the clock service, isn’t it?

Unfortunately naim did not really respond well to several quality HW and SW glitches or shortcomings in the past imo - so I am personally sceptical if naim will improve recognisably to meet their premium brand promise …. Fingers x’d :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Has Naim learned any lessons from such a major failure?

I don’t only want the naim board involved but the very president of the United States of America, this has to go to the highest people in all the lands.

4 Likes

@Blythe I have not done anything special, from the Naim app I do the following:
Select Asset server
Select Tunein Internet Radio
Select By Location
Select Europe
Select UK
I then Selected Truro and scrolled down to the list of stations, selected one and it played.

Have not changed any settings in Asset but I do run it on a Raspberry Pi, don’t know if that makes any difference.

1 Like

I think so too, this failure shouldn’t be trivialized. As a premium manufacturer, NAIM must now react and at least show other options and integrate them into the software. I’m just using the ND5XS. It has a very bad WLAN module for example. NAIM’s solution to use powerline (PLC) there is not acceptable.

3 Likes

Believe me, Naim’s solution is not to use powerline PLC there. Naim never advocates using powerline. Naim’s solution is to use Ethernet cable.

No. You should be amazed it took 5 days. I refuse to appreciate or make excuses for reckless incompetence like this.

2 Likes

Really glad I don’t work for you then…….

Have a Very Happy New Year, and may the vTuner issue be the biggest problem you have to face in 2024.

ATB, J

4 Likes

Things go wrong. It’s the way of the world. I’m sure you’ve made mistakes, as we all have. We apologise for them, hopefully learn from them, and move forward. Naim are not stupid and I’m sure they will be having appropriate conversations with vtuner. There is nothing to be gained from righteous indignation. It’s irritating, but it’s not the end of the world. We need to keep it in perspective.

15 Likes

This is welcome news. Thank you.

I never said it was the end of the world, that I don’t make mistakes or that I can’t forgive others for doing so. A one day outage is acceptable or reasonable. What actually happened, including total lack of communication, is not. By that I mean there should be a very big apology and some sort of explanation. Those things have not happened and I am expressing my displeasure.

3 Likes

Here’s your “lack of communication”.

2 Likes

Do you interpret all conversation that literally? Is that level of second-hand communication sufficient? I was talking abut vTuner, who basically put nothing up on their website. Didn’t even bother putting up a “temporarily down” message.

For something that went on for 5 days for no good reason, I would expect much more than what you’ve attached there (and I was aware of). I would expect some kind of estimate of when things would be resolved, etc.

3 Likes

What is interesting, is that Lyngdorf amplifiers/streamers did not experience any outage, at least not in The Netherlands. Several Lyngdorf users reported that they had no issues with Internet Radio also not when switching between stations. I checked on the Lyngdorf website and there it says they use vTuners as their Internet Radio provider.

[Edit] Maybe Lyngdorf stores a direct link to the radio stream URL as a preset instead of the vTuner link? If so, I suggest Naim start doing the same as then at least the stored preset will continue to work when vTuner is down.

:confused:

5 Likes

I completely share your opinion. I have tried a few times in the past to contact VTuner at Naim’s request and have never gotten a response.

1 Like