What are the benefits of the Core?

By properly configured I mean set up to work with or without an internet connection. Most domestic systems rely on a working router to do that but it’s quite possible to have a full working local network without a internet connection.

Exactly. To help FR here: my 272 and nas are connected to a switch, and the switch is connected to the router, which provides the WiFi. If I disconnect the wire that joins the router to the outside world, I have no internet but the streaming from the nas still works.

The router supplied by your internet provider almost certainly runs your home network over which your devices communicate with each other. It also allows these devices to connect to the internet.
If for some reason you disconnect the internet connection that should not stop your own devices from working. However, some ISP supplied routers do not allow a smooth continuation of internal network communications when the internet connection fails, and I suspect this is the cause of your problem.

One thing i would like to add re the Core to my comments above. As I said before I absolutely love the Core for many reasons that I described. The weakness with Classical is an issue…but I think for 99% of Naim’s customers it is not a problem at all in practice.
Let me explain. Between vinyl rips, cd rips, hi res downloads, and legit concert downloads I have at least 4,000 albums on the Core. Roughly 750 are classical. Do you know how long it takes me to find the classical album i am looking for? Less than 5 seconds. I search for the composer (or conductor), the list comes up, and I pick the right piece. Worst case is Beethoven and Vivaldi where i probably have an least 50 of each. Still no problem…5 seconds or so looking down the list and boom done. And that’s with a fairly sizable collection. Now, when I rip classical I do mess with the metadata because it is ALWAYS wrong in every single system (itunes, core, etc does not matter) i tried. I use a simple system where the composer, conductor, and orchestra are all in the title. Problem solved. At first i used the Core to rip them and edited in the app. But actually i changed procedure to loading classical in itunes, editing there (with a keyboard…which is easier), and then copy the folder created to the Core Downloads folder. Simple.
If you have a vast classical collection…i would say 5,000 or more classical, then skip the Core. Otherwise, the limitation in metadata is not an actual real world problem.

2 Likes

If I do that, my switch can’t work. The router provides the Ethernet to the switch.
I mean if I switch off my router, my switch can’t work.

@Nestor_Burma, have you understood ? You have also a router like me, SFR or Orange or Free. If you switch off your router, you have no network and you can’t use your Nd555. Not ?

I don’t think it’s a real problem, because I have now fiber and a very fast and strong network.
But in France, the router is the internet, tv, WiFi, phone provider. If I switch it off, I have no phone, no internet, no WiFi, no streaming possibility.
It’s just on or off. I can’t disconnect internet and continue to have streaming, phone, tv…it’s not possible in France.

You’d need to run a seperate local network that isn’t connected to the internet.

1 Like

The original definition of a router is a device that links different networks together, in this case your home network and the internet. What your ISP normally provides is a multi-function device which, in addition, is a DHCP server, switch and wireless access point all in one box, which has somewhat blurred the meaning of the term router. So if you turn off your ‘router’ you also turn off your home network unless you choose to run it on different hardware of your own choosing.
For example, you might be able to turn off the local networking functions of your router, and connect it to a device of your own choice which can continue to run your home network even if your router is turned off or broken.

1 Like

No, you can disconnect your router from the internet and streaming from your UPnP server to your streamer will still work perfectly as long as server and streamer are on the same network.

You still need your router, of course. But this does not need to be connected to the internet. You can switch off the internet connection of your router and everything will still work perfectly in your LAN. You just will not be able to access internet streaming services like Qobuz, Netflix, etc.

Another thing to say about this is the various devices need an IP address. They get a “lease” of an IP address for a period that can be set to whatever but by default might be a day or so. So in HH’s case of a NAS and a 272 connected to a switch, he can disconnect the router from the switch once the devices have their IP addresses and local streaming will work until one of the leases expires. If he wants to control by a smartphone or tablet, then he needs to have a WiFi access point connected to the switch too. But the internet connection is completely optional.

I have experience of this when on holiday in a remote cottage in France. There was no internet. I used an Apple AirPort Extreme like the one HH uses and connected my Core and Qb to that with ethernet. My smartphone connected to the WiFi. There was nothing plugged in to the WAN port as there was no internet connection. It worked fine, except I had to turn WiFi off on my phone to do anything other than control the HiFi with it!

The Apple router doesn’t mind if there is no internet connection. You get an orange light on the front and there is a message from it in the Airport app, but it does its routing and WiFi stuff as normal.

But trying the same thing in a cottage in remote Cornwall with the BT modem/router constantly restarting as it tried to reacquire the unreliable broadband internet there meant the local routing went down too and it was a pain. As someone pointed out to me at the time, having a switch separate from the one in the BT modem would probably have fixed that.

Best

David

1 Like

I occasionally have a similar problem with my Sky router. If the internet connetion fails, everything fails. With a bit of prompting and time wasting from me, I can eventually get it to ask me if I want to ‘continue without internet connection’ and if I say yes, my LAN is restored. To my mind this shows a complete failure of ISPs to understand the basic needs of their customers.

1 Like

If people look beyond the melco then you can create what the core does and take a zero off the end of the cost.
The only single benefit I can see to the core is it looks nice.

The ‘internet’ is the primary focus of the router supplied by the ISP. The clue is in the first letter of the TLA. :upside_down_face:

So the routers are programmed to do everything possible to restore the internet connection and for a large majority of people this is what’s needed. Home LANs are a secondary consideration.

Having a separate LAN is handy though if the router has issues. :slightly_smiling_face:

Obviously the primary service they provide is an internet connection. But when it fails, who in their right mind would assume that their customers would wish to be simultaneously denied access to all of their LAN based facilities? Local music and video streaming, printing, backups, etc. etc. The whole damned lot grinds to a halt! ISPs know perfectly well that their hardware controls all this. It doesn’t matter one bit whether LAN or internet services happen to be more important to you at the time. The point is that when one part of the system fails, it’s entirely unnecessary for the other to be stopped at the same time.

It may not be case with all routers that a loss of internet will lose LAN connectivity. What may cause grief is the router on and endless reboot cycle trying to connect to the internet.

Hi FR, I’m no expert. Now I have no real interest to turn off my router to switch off internet…what for? I’m currently intensely enjoying the sound of my system after including ER with mcru, masterclock with ultracap, and removing spikes for Charlin wood base. Such a miracle! Every minute of my time goes to rediscovering my cd collection, certain cds which didn’t “make sense” and now suddenly do with all the extra info. Unfortunately I’m not able to rank the relative importance of each change to my system, I assume and believe they are synergistic.
For instance there was a cd from Esperanza Spalding”Radio”…on the cd555 I just didn’t get into the music, didn’t understand the positive reviews. Now I’m listening and fully enjoying through nd555 on Qobuz!

1 Like

I don’t think it’s possible here in France. Nestor will confirm or @bruss. Or perhaps it’s possible for someone very tekie.

Another thing : I can cut off WIFI on my router. But if I do that I can’t use my IPad remote. Only my router can give me WIFI at home.
So apparently I can cut off DHCP and cut off WIFI. There is a link with what you mean by switching off internet ?