What are the benefits of the Core?

I thought it was just me that lost use of my network if the Internet fails.
Is that a discussion with my ISP or is there a setting in my router I should be looking for

Sure it is. LAN routing and internet connection are two different services. If your router is connected to your internet provider via a wired connection, just unplug it. If it is connected via a SIM card, unplug the card. Or log into the router and switch off the internet connection: all devices in your network will still be able to exchange data and streaming from local sources will work fine.

‘

I can still use my Core to play music if the internet is down. A while back my router died, but since I leave my Core on, playing a playlist of 100 songs on repeat, it still worked. I have my Core connected to a 2960 switch, and the switch is hardwired to the router. If you use an iPhone with the Naim app, it will control the Core still, using your data plan, rather than the router (wifi).

This is just shoddy software on the router they provide. If it’s a problem you can easily run your own LAN equipment so that your ISP supplied router is only responsible for your internet connection. For example, I used to do this with an Apple Airport Extreme with its WAN port connected to the router.

Err I don’t think so. The iphone has to be on the same subnet as the Core and if it’s on 4G then that won’t be the case?

Best

David

Yes, like you I don’t see the interest or the point to do that. But others in UK here are doing that. But I don’t understand.
Enjoy the music :+1:

But I will not have tv neither phone. So what the interest to do that for me?

What is data plan ?
My router provides me WiFi. If I disconnect WiFi, I can’t use my IPad.
As for sound quality, what is the benefit of disconnecting internet in your set up?

He means using 4G or 3G mobile data rather than WiFi.

Best

David

1 Like

My Naim app doesn’t work on 4G.
Just a last question, even if I didn’t understood the internet cut off problematic.
Is there any reason to cut off internet as for sound quality matter? Does it improve sound quality ?

The Naim app really won’t work at all on mobile data. It needs to be on the WiFi network which is the same as the network the Naim kit is on.

I think most people would say disconnecting the internet makes no difference to SQ at all, although there are one or two golden ears’ people on the forum who might disagree with that statement.

I suggest forget about it! There are lots of more important things to worry about.

Best

David

3 Likes

I do not know, I did not argue that there is any reason for your to switch off you internet connection. I just explained you that you can turn off your internet connection without compromising local streaming because you did not seem to have understood the difference between a LAN and the internet.

I agree I haven’t understood. Maybe internet has different meaning in France and UK.
All I can say is that WiFi can disconnected from my router, but in that case I will not be able to use my IPad app, just the Naim remote.
I have fiber. If I disconnect the fiber cable of my router, I can’t stream with my Nds.
So I really don’t see the point of all that.
Thanks, but as said David, there are more interesting things to do.

I dont think anyone is suggesting you should stream without internet. Its just you can hook a melco direct to a streamer if thats your desire.

Obviously if your internet is down you cannot stream Tidal etc, however reasonably you should be able to stream music from your own server on the LAN.

1 Like

The internet is the internet wherever you are. Nobody is suggesting that you disconnect your router.

When streaming from a NAS then only your LAN (Local Area Network) is in use.
When streaming from Tidal/Qobuz etc your Internet (Broadband) connection is in use.

Along with @nbpf and few others if my broadband service or router failed I would still have streaming from the NAS. This is down to how the LAN has been setup and is just for resilience so my music will still play. Nothing to do with sound quality.

1 Like

Of course there is no point in fiddling around with your home setup unless you know what you are doing.

However, it is useful to understand that a modern router typically accomplishes two functions: 1) it gives you access to the internet (like minitel was doing in France before www became popular!) and 2) creates a LAN (wired, wireless or both) which allows your connected devices to exchange data.

It is this second function which is exploited when streaming from a local server, the connection to the internet can at this time be inexistent or broken.

The distinction between 1) and 2) becomes relevant when you want to enjoy your music in a remote area with no (cable, telephone, radio, etc.) access to the internet.

For instance, I often spend one or two weeks of my vacation in a remote cottage with no internet connection. I typically bring with me a raspberry Pi running MinimServer and a router. This creates a wireless LAN which allows me to stream my music from the Pi to an old radio (via a mobile DAC) and to all our mobile devices.

I have spent days listening to my music on holiday without the distractions coming from an active internet connection!

You do not even need a router to create a LAN for local streaming: just switch on the hotspot of a mobile phone and have your servers and streamers connect to the hotspot.

1 Like

You might be right, as I said earlier, I have my Core playing on repeat 24/7, so have no need to even look at the app. I just assumed it was visible on the App. I know it plays music with no working wifi router.

The app needs to be on the network that the Core is on or otherwise it has no way of knowing it even exists!

Best

David

Ok, i believe you all of course, but i can’t see how it’s possible to have a local network without internet. If my internet is down, nothing works. Not only tv, phone, but WiFi and Nds which says « no server found « .
If I want to use my pc, it’s the same : no WiFi or wired Ethernet.

I tried some research in google France. Apparently to do that you need a specific box ( router) that can gives you 4G hot spot for all the devices. But my router can’t do that.