What are you driving and why would we be interested?

I understand they are still making them for elsewhere but no longer selling them, along with saloons, in the U.K. was considering a V cross when we last changed cars but chose an XC in the end.

1 Like

GT3 sprung another oil leak, apparently the oil tank again. This will be the 3rd replacement in 5 years - bl**dy brake pads don’t wear out that fast :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Dealer is negotiating with Porsche because it’s out of warranty and a costly fix. I hope they do the right thing.

The week before I had been discussing the 992.2 GT3 and where I might be on the list. A year to a year and a half was the estimated wait but given its the same engine, I’m not sure I want to eat the cost of change and still living with the uncertainty.

1 Like

Is it the same point in the tank or pipe work that leaks each time?

We won’t know for sure until its out (engine out) but it appears to be the same - an internal spot weld point, possibly a baffle mounting. Work has stopped, pending a response from Porsche.

Does the warranty for that part attach to that part? If it’s a clear, consistent fault, I’d have thought the replacement should be warranted for at least 2 years, say, or if not, then here in the UK I’d try the argument that it’s not of satisfactory quality under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. As a reasonable person, I don’t think that is satisfactory for a brand like Porsche or such an important component.

1 Like

Porsche are not renowned for caring two hoots what others think is reasonable behaviour! Hopefully if Elfer is considered a valuable customer, a contribution may be forthcoming.

Peter

Disappointing to say the least.

1 Like

9 Likes

I’m not in the UK. The last replacement was at the end of 2019 so more than 2 years have passed. Regardless, it is not a wear or serviceable item and given it will be the 4th tank in 5 years of ownership, that averages a new tank every 1.25 years. I don’t think even Porsche could defend that but I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried. I hope to hear something on Monday and if Porsche don’t step up, hopefully my dealer might.

1 Like

But It Is for sucking money out of your pocket at every opportunity

I’ve had disappointment with VW, Mercedes, BMW, but looking back on my car history I was thinking I’d never owned a Porsche (but given your experience, I’m not pining to do so) or a ‘real’ Jaguar. I was a bit cautious about the latter but some years back a colleague swapped his Panamera for an XK8 and reckoned the XK8 was more reliable and the dealer better. I thought he was joking. Maybe not !

To be fair, I think I have just been extremely unlucky. This does not appear to be a common fault (though not unknown) and we don’t have the response from Porsche yet. I have an older (997.2) Turbo model and it has been extremely reliable. Fingers crossed…

Ooh Errr - 997.2 is my favourite looking Porsche model (GT3 or Turbo). You are blessed to have that and a 991.2 GT3 (once it’s repaired, again!).

Peter

1 Like

Best of luck then. I’ll be watching this thread to see what happens!

1 Like

I always remember a friend having bought a convertible Porsche…….his dream car. He, probably luckily left it in his own garage and went on holiday abroad for 2 weeks.
Got home…….dead battery, could not get into the car to even recharge. A call to the AA, and yes he was able to get going again. He complained to Porsche………his fault for not buying the extra battery option for a few hundred pounds more. He did not buy another………loved the car, but not the company.

1 Like

(sorry no glamour shot) How we avoid arguments over who drives the Tesla.

A '15 85D and an '18 75D, both dead reliable; don’t miss gas stations or knowing our dealer. By the time our Cybertruck reservation comes up the 85D will be the oldest car I’ve owned since the '90s.

3 Likes

I vote for the 992 GT 3 , my next one who knows. It would be a dream come true.

As daft as it may sound given the high probability of an allocation, I’m really still in two minds. I prefer the driving dynamics (on the road) of mine over the 992.1 but the .2 is always a better car and perhaps they will “improve” it. Could take or leave the digital dash and posh interior and it really doesn’t need any more HP. It’s also wider which is a real negative for me. I’m wondering if the 991.2 won’t turn out to be the GT3 sweet spot, like the 997.2 is for the rest of the liquid cooled generations. Just need to keep the oil on the inside!

3 days and battery on old my Porsche 911 would have been flat. Each time I took it out it had to come off trickle charge and when I got home back on trickle charge.

Sold it last year and although I loved owning and driving it - it was a weight off my mind.

Funny thing not sure if it was my imagination but every one seems to want to race /keep up or over take. There was always a boy racer in a tin can up my bum-per.

2 Likes

Elfer, you may find Harry’s Garage on youtube interesting. Harry Metcalf really seemed to have a problem with the 992.1 GT3 on his local roads - issues which he didn’t seem to suffer with in the 992 Turbo S nor the GTS which he took out on the same roads. I suspect you are correct regarding the 991.2 GT3 as near perfect balance of on road performance, with the 992 having a larger footprint and suspension set up, with a greater emphasis on track performance. Depends on what use the car will be put to - if more a track day focus, maybe 992 pulls ahead, also I guess folks will gravitate towards the newer model as people tend to want cars not more than 3 or 4 years old.

Peter