What are you driving and why would we be interested?

Superb.

3 Likes

Really?

That’s just beautiful.

4 Likes

What a beautiful looking car.

3 Likes

A goddess! :heart_eyes:
MArco :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

This is one restomod concept that I think would take the DS to another level - if it’s even possible - to swap out the fairly basic/ agricultural engine and install something like the Lucid power unit - it would just sail across the tarmac in the calmest way imaginable! Dream on… As it is, an absolute design classic.

Peter

2 Likes

The Citroen is indeed a classic and still looks futuristic even now. I remember as a small child in the early 1960s admiring a DS19 or DS21 (can’t recall which) owned by someone along our road.

I’m not sure if this story is true. When Rover was developing its Rover 2000 in the early 60s, the front of their prototype looked too much like the Citroen and after complaints, they had to modify it to the design which subsequently appeared.

1 Like

Just a picture. Cleaned the other Lotus ( thinking of selling) so pics in the garden.

12 Likes

The S1 Elise seems to be appreciating these days - a real classic. Guessing you’ll have no problem selling it.

My first lotus was a 2005 S2 Elise 111R. I bought it in 2009 for £17,250. 14 years later, I’d have to pay north of £20k to replace it (I have been considering it!). Wonderful car.

2 Likes

I’ve been in two Lotuses in my life, an Esprit S3 and an Elise like the one pictured (but in green) and as a passenger my impressions of both are of supple suspension and an ability to seemingly defy physics when cornering. I’d probably not fit in one today!

4 Likes

France seems to have a small number of enthusiasts but seem willing to pay a little more than in the UK, so heres hoping.
Being somewhat aged I have had a Lotus of one sort or another since 1973. I had a 2004 111R which I then supercharged. A very comfortable car compared to the bare S1.

LOL. I still fit but its the bending and stretching to get in and out that becomes problematic with age. Yes, I haven’t found a car at an equivalent price point that drives nearly as well as a Lotus. They have shortcomings but not in the driving. The connection between driver and car is only bettered by riding a motorbike in my opinion.

1 Like

Apparently quite a few of the Lotus engineers upped anchor and moved across to McLaren which may explain their similar reputation for incredibly good ride quality. I presume reliability reputations are mutually exclusive!!

Peter

Not necessarilyThe cost to keep a Mclaren serviced when wanting to use it on track was so eye watering that I didn’t buy one. It inferred that reliability would potentially be a problem. I know of two owners of the lowly 540 that I was interested in. One has had no problems, the other seems to have a problem every time he takes it out. It seems highly developed cars are also more prone to being highly strung. Perhaps it just comes with the territory.

1 Like

Way outside my budget limits but my understanding from reading various bits and pieces is that models such as 650 and 675 were very well put together. The models which followed esp 720 were rushed out the door before development was complete and build quality was patchy at best, compounded by an inadequately developed support dealership infrastructure. Lots of trouble usually serious applied! Rumour has it that new senior management have tried hard to tackle quality control and make the cars a much better ownership prospect - this is reflected in much improved depreciation performance.

Peter

2 Likes

Nice S1, Is It a '00 build ? My First one was same spec. In Nautilus Blue with Red leather seats registered in Feb '01. Unfortunately the handling of mine was very bad and scary especially in the wet/ less than ideal tarmac. Swapped five months later for Exige S1 which, despite being fitted with Yoko semi slicks, handled much better with so much more grip.

In fact, at Lotus seems they Lost the plot now. They ditched all the range for a overweight Evora rebody

That’s a good question, I’d have to check the original log book for the date.
The early produced cars were set up with a less than ideal road geo, particularly for drivers more used to benign handling. Lotus changed it pdq after a few early offs were reported to them.
Edit: btw, Nautilus blue is a glorious colour.

Ot sure I agree with that. A little like Porsche, the extreme sporty cars don’t sell well enough to keep the company afloat. The Emira is more than an Evora and it is hoped will attract a wider market that wants the look but not the extreme sportiness. I think the mistake is not to have kept that sportiness with say the Exige. No doubt if the Emira is successful there will be a sportier version to follow, but meanwhile there is nothing in the range for track day heroes like me. :grinning:

The Emira is a cheap to develop stop gap for Lotus (Geely). Not that it isn’t desirable but it is not how they intend to make money. It has kept the brand ‘visible’ whilst they develop the electric SUVs and a saloon that might be the profit making models.

I guess the hope is that ‘halo’ cars with more traditional lotus values can be funded by the SUVs, as per Porsche when the Cayenne etc arrived.

Bruce

1 Like