What are you driving and why would we be interested?

I think you know quite a lot!

I suspect the current generation of electric cars will be a bit like early generation computers - they will be quickly outdated and left relatively worthless much quicker than ICE vehicles. Toyota have made it known that they are developing new battery tech which they say will see deployment around 2026 and offer range between charge of circa 600 miles. If correct, this will be a real game changer and knock range anxiety squarely on the head - many current BEVs struggle to offer much more than a ‘safe’ 200 mile every day range. Until then, I can’t see any case for private individuals buying BEVs at the moment without anticipating a massive depreciation cost in ownership.

Enjoy your XC60 which sounds like a great choice for your needs.

Peter

2 Likes

In 5 years time there will be a fast charger at every 10 yards, even (and especially) in remote and mountainous areas etc, so you are in fact less likely to need larger capacity batteries than nowadays. Obviously, the more range the better but not always at the cost of weight and not for all types of EV use. So I don’t really see 500-600 mls range as the super game changer, rather other technologies coming along with this.

I see nothing like your prediction for the current EVs in the next immediate period and to think of them as first gen computers seems odd as EVs have already outpaced ICE cars and made them look like a Nokia next to an iPhone. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Toyota have repeatedly claimed to be developing new technology for I don’t know how long to screen how badly they have lagged behind by denying EVs are the way to go. They are a long way behind the curve

1 Like

Sorry, but try telling that to Tesla and Porsche whose EV’s are building up second hand stocks whilst their values bomb.

They do make tremendous sense for business users and private individuals prepared to lease them with no obligations outside the lease periods. I do fear that they are building up an unsellable fleet which will severely dent their sustainability credentials. Time will tell - I certainly have no crystal ball!

I am assuming that the increased range will be accompanied by next gen much smaller battery packs hence the increased range will hopefully be accompanied by a much needed reduction in mass of the vehicles.

Peter

1 Like

They certainly rushed BEV’s to market in advance of having developed a satisfactory product - their range is woeful in their market segments. I don’t think we should conclude that their announcement of new technology should not be reliable. Time will tell, but I’m sure they will be working on this with the likes of Panasonic and equally sure that change is coming. Never say never!

Peter

I saw a thread by someone on Twitter who showed Toyota’s stories from the last few years, none of which had come to anything. Seems incredibly unlikely they will leap from being appalling to leading the pack in a very few years

In what way?

The circle I do struggle to square is the vast investment being ploughed in to the current battery tech - this will all require pay back to justify its existence and must have a delaying impact upon next gen leaps. Hopefully Toyota and several others have a cunning plan in development!

Peter

apart from smoke and noise, you name it

Manchester to Canvey Island and home again by early afternoon.

John O’Groats to Manchester in 8 hours.

3200Nm to each rear wheel in 3rd gear.
Sub 5 seconds to 60. All on 205mm wide tyres.

:slight_smile: Some nearly heroic stuff there, of course comes with health tolls, and including actual immediate danger to you, and everyone around?

Now imagine a windy, icy, bitter cold morning at your hotel somewhere near John O’Groats, slowly sipping coffee and enjoying the beautiful snow view outside while your car is defrosting and warming up by itself gently inviting you to step in:)

I don’t think it’s all into current tech - new developments all the time. Just this morning saw something about bmw and solid state batteries. Tesla are changing the battery chemistry from time to time (as are everyone else)

Eh?

Used to do that as well. Buttons on the dashboard clear the front, rear screens and mirrors. Heater gets hot enough for your feet to feel too hot. Of course there is a control on the dashboard to adjust the temperature as and when required.
Electric/hydraulic four-channel anti-lock brakes, no vacuum pump.

I thought about all electric but the situation with technology is so confusing I thought at my age I could do without range anxiety and settled for the Civic hybrid.
The only thing I neglected to think about was the low ride height and getting out of it with some dignity.

1 Like

Hm, I think if I understand correctly I am still at breakfast by the window view, while you are in the frozen car dealing with some buttons right?:slight_smile:

Nope, start car, press buttons, lock car. :coffee:

well, exactly!: )

34 years of development to get this facility. Wow! Amazing progress. :thinking::smile:

:blush: how about 137 years and still not being able to do it?

Remote start is an option on one of my other cars. :sunglasses:

It can tow a trailer or caravan too.