What are you driving and why would we be interested?

That’s called asking Mrs-n to start the car for me, in this house :smile:

3 Likes

I’m thinking about one of those or something similar. What is the mpg, battery range and recharge time like please? If we got one it’s likely to do about 20,000 miles a year.

Hi
Had it 4 days so difficult to say however
38-45 miles on battery
Can’t say with mpg it will depend on too many factors
If with 3pin plug approx 3hours (salesman said don’t bother with wall box)

Does use regen charging and on a 30ish mile trip yesterday mixed roads battery went from 19 miles to 30 miles but suspect mpg will suffer.

I will say though it is definitely a cruising beast with a bit of fire if needed (0-60 5.5ish 350bhp inc battery)

Thanks. I’m not taking the plunge just yet, perhaps in a few months, but a PHEV of some description might be an option if it is more cost effective than diesel.

Depends how you intend to use a hybrid car. In my experience such PHEV would be a good option if the electric only range is about enough for local commuting with only occasional long journeys - this type of use makes it a lot more cost effective. Otherwise, if used on regular long e.g. daily journeys it’s essentially the same as a decent economical diesel or petrol car.

Long trips - people sometimes don’t consider that the battery will last in hybrid efficient mode for about 100-150 miles and then for the rest you are essentially left with a petrol only car with some (but very minimal) regeneration. And, remember, at that point the car has also lost that lovely extra EV horse power! And unfortunately you cannot easily charge the battery as you go on the motorway during a long trip because it usually takes hours to charge (no fast charging yet I think on these, so overnight or if you have long stops).

1 Like

Great car. Don’t see many about these days. I did see a mint Z4M Coupe quite recently which still looked distinctive and rather tasty.

1 Like

Mine back in the day.

13 Likes

Nice lineup there :sunglasses:

1 Like

Lotus fan here. Two more old timers in the garage behind.

1 Like

Z4M was out of my price range at the time so a 3.0 Si had to do. Great fun.

17 Likes

How’s it going with your new Z4 @QuickSticks ?

1 Like

Haven’t had anywhere near enough time behind the wheel, sadly. 320 miles is all, but quite enjoyable.
Shame it’s winter and not summer.
Looking forward to warm weather top down motoring next year :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s a shame. Still, something to look forward to next year when the sun shines.

Enjoy :+1:

1 Like

997 gen 2 Turbo.
Wonderfully competent.

14 Likes

Thinking about getting a BMW M240i or M340i. Anyone with ownership experience to impart?

These days I’m driving this:

IMG_0566

But I need a proper car… Only, I love driving but I don’t like cars. This is fun, anyway, for a few days!

35 Likes

A classic! Much nicer than those Fiat 500X models that have been down to the gym pumping themselves up with illegal steroids.

2 Likes

Which version of M240i are you thinking - previous gen or latest xDrive version ?

I can do it a little vicariously. My nephew has the 240i and absolutely loves it. He picked it because it is compact and focused. It’s not terribly economical though - 24mpg ish in the UK. No reliability issues in the last 18months.

1 Like

I have an M340i touring which I bought a few months old. Love the added practicality of the estate body and opening rear window for smaller items. The optional M sport seats are very supportive for those of us slightly longer of limb, but worth checking your girth before opting for them - I could imagine them becoming a very snug fit post Crippers feasting! I had assumed these would come with all round cameras and active cruise control - I really miss the sensors from my previous Lexus.

Whilst great on paper I do find it a bit unengaging and the perceived quality of materials is several rungs below that of the old Lexus RX it replaced.

I must be getting old as I much prefer the older BMW analogue gauges to the new super wide screen with much less well resolved dial design.

One last pearl of hindsight - check out the insurance premiums before committing to buy!

Peter

2 Likes