What are you driving and why would we be interested?

Yes, even on my old bus if one dies then the whole thing is out of action. I hope no more decide to die anytime soon as removing the rear bumper is a bit of a nightmare, particularly when one hidden locking tab decides it doesn’t want to let go…

Next job is to replace the auxiliary water pump - a much easier job luckily- but one that I might wait until autumn to tackle as it’s not really needed in Summer and the Boxster needs to be serviced and MOT’d and the Dexta needs finishing, plus all the other jobs that are beckoning…

2 Likes

The jobs never end Richard as one gets done another appears as if by magic. :grimacing::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I haven’t quite got round to taking a photo but I have been driving an Audi Q4 e-tron 45 quattro since November and I wouldn’t want a non-electric car any more. Today Mrs William and I drove down to the mountains with the bikes in the back and did a beautiful tour of the Isar river (see nice pics). On the way back, the satnav directed us to the nearest HPC as we didn’t have enough juice to make it home. It turned out to be a Tesla charging station open to other brands, and in the time it took us to seek liquid refreshments in the adjacent beer garden the car was charged from 11% to 80%.

4 Likes

William

Which model is that? Really like it but don’t recognize it from here in the US.

It‘s the Audi Q4 Sportback e-tron @ClayB. I have had it since November and I like it so much my next one, which I am picking up next week, will be the same but different colour and newer model with faster charging and higher charging capacity.

Hi William, good to see you are hyper pleased with your current (and soon new) Audi E-tron cars.
A few issues put me off electrics at the moment

1. depreciation - a quick look at yours suggests 40+ percent in 3 years
  2. cost of running if charging away from home - comparing my BMWX1 diesel versus the iX1, the latter is more expensive per mile
  3. new cost of e-cars - again if I take my BMW X1 versus the same spec e-car the latter is circa 15k more.
    I am sure these issues will correct themselves as the auto market changes over the next few years , but at the moment “e” doesn’t work for me financially.
    Don’t take my comments as criticism of your choice - far from it, we all have our own likes and dislikes. Indeed I am happy you are enjoying “e”. Happy motoring!
    :+1:
3 Likes

5 years of e-motoring

• no service charges (whatsoever)

• essentially faultless (one repair under warranty and consumables)

• 6-7p/kw for 80-90% of all miles done (home charging apart from very long trips)

• car depreciation of say 50% - possibly offset completely only by savings in fuel (and service) over the 5 years, so same or close to driving an ICE car free of depreciation over the same period.

Appreciate not everyone’s case but this is mine and more than happy with the bottom line.

5 Likes

We have two EV’s in the house. I agree with most of your points with the exception of servicing cost (and faultless driving).
My wife VW needed a service after 2 yrs at the best part of £300 and has spent almost 4 months in teh garage with issues. My Mercedes EV is every 12 months or 15k miles, which ever is first. Again each service is approx. £350.

I was fortunate enough to be in the hunt for a new car when Mercedes flooded the market with EQC’s. Not a car I would ordinarily have looked at but when I realised that they were half price I thought it was too good to miss. Pretty much the whole deprecation has been swallowed up by Mercedes.

3 Likes

Great points @garcon - we are all different and I see where you are coming from. I am a little worried though by no service charges in 5 years, thinking brake fluid/ brake pads / tyres etc. Were charges for these items (or at least checks) in the new car price??

1 Like

yes, sorry I wasn’t clear, by consumables I indeed meant the tyres and alignment, pads, fluids, wipers, bulbs and all that.
No formal or regular service charges.

1 Like

Is that free servicing from the manufacturer/dealer or no servicing?

no “servicing”

What about brake fluid and the rest of the braking system?
Suspension and wheel bearing checks?

I personally have my car checked once or twice a year e.g. at tyre change or other maintenance

I’m confused now :anguished:

A bloke round here was ferrying his kids around in a car with illegal tyres and faulty steering. He knew about it because it had failed the MoT and he just carried on driving it. :roll_eyes:
“No servicing” is really popular.

To be clear, I have chosen to lease, so there is no depreciation and my leasing fee includes servicing, insurance, tax, etc.
I prefer to lease while battery technology is maturing.
I would note that the biggest source of profit in the past for some car manufacturers were the revenues from oil sales. No more engine no more oil. Also the number of service parts is much less so now service centres have to make a living from just that: service. Software services will also be playing an increasing role.
The charging costs are no more than a thrifty diesel but that will depend on your provider.
For me, the EV experience overall is just so much superior.

1 Like

Depreciation is part of the lease payment calculation

1 Like

True, but I think it’s fair to say that the depreciation risk is lower in a leasing contract than if you buy an EV and seek to sell it on later.
In my case the leasing fee is fixed; however this is a special arrangement for employees and retirees. (Benefits are taxed of course.)

1 Like

Shouldn’t this be in the Building Lego thread? :joy:

ATB, J

2 Likes