What are you driving and why would we be interested?

(upload://qiOSxfedijvnuauV1iDChLwAolA.jpeg)

Collected it yesterday but i’m already regretting not having stick with another Polo. The gearbox has only full auto mode without paddles which are standard on the Polo 1.0 R Line. The dashboard Is annoyingly confused with useless graphics. I drove It from Rimini to home for 360km is reasonably comfortable and refined but from a BMW i’d be expecting something better. Over the last few years quality of cars really plummeted and are closer and closer to computers on wheels. Definetely i will be more inclined to stick with older cars unless you are a billionaire looking at GMA T50/ T33 Ruf, Singer Porsche restomods etc.

6 Likes

I have a F01 730d. It’s only real drawback, apart from it’s 5079mm length is it’s Euro5 standard (plus lack of Android Auto)

A 2014 model, it is well built, economical on the Motorway, and the dash, controls and I-drive are, for me, models of clarity. I have looked online for a potential change of car, but have not seem much to tempt me.

The new i7 looks utterly ludicrous inside…

4 Likes

Give it time, Roberto, and you will get used to it. If you want more from a BMW you will have to fork out a little more. Besides they hold their value much more than the Polo. Give it time.

2 Likes

Very true. All about the tech these days. Mostly rubbish that’s not needed or wanted.

2 Likes

Well this morning was time to change our Ford Kuga plug in hybrid, for the newer model. It had worked well over the winter, giving 35 miles for a charge cost of £1:30 (overnight ev tariff) . For most of our journeys, it is enough……we gave it back at 7000 miles with an overall average of 78 mpg….the last trip to Kendall and back from Colchester….one charge benefit before it left Colchester, the rest regen braking etc.
So we ordered another, drives even better, and gets the family used to charging cars……whether we like it or not.

1 Like

I Hope so, btw the residual of the Polo has been very strong. Payed It about 15k euro in early 2016 from new and April this year with 160k km fetched 6.6k discounted from a very well known Naim follow member, otherwise It was already sold on Autoscout marketplace for 7.2k
P.s. On the other hand i really love my ’ 23 Cooper S, not so the new F66 i tested there weeks ago

3 Likes

The paddles aren’t too expensive to retrofit I’ve been told.

Might consider it myself.

You’vê got to try one of these, James. Who needs power steering?:sunglasses:

3 Likes

My cousins was offered 3.6k euro for a '07 ForTwo turbo Cab, 120k km on the clock.
I’m really tempted to take It. I think It would the favourite to use daily or for a spin on lake Como

1 Like

It is ideal for the streets of London, it’s only got 35k on the clock on a 14 plate and it’s great fun to drive.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s very nice indeed! A 10 valve MB? If I remember my engine codes X) I ran a bunch of normally aspirated quattros, and a late '89 100 quattro turbo. I have an '83 80 quattro in need of some TLC now, but the ur is the one. Hope it’s running nicely, enjoy it 8)

After two weeks of use i’m a little more familiar with dashboard controls, however scrolling trips Infos and fuel economy Is not so immediate. Fuel economy, not so good at the moment, even a little worse than Mini Cooper S, have 1200 km on the clock, i hope It will improve a bit after run in, I almost regret not having gone with the 120i Tomorow will go out for PPF

Bad news with the dog wagon. While driving back from Wiltshire on Tuesday I noticed a slight vibration through the steering wheel once I reach, er… higher speeds. I took it into the local tyre fitters on Friday, expecting one of the wheels had thrown a balance weight, only to be told that both front wheels are very slightly buckled - aargh! I’m so careful despite the atrocious state of the roads around here. So I’m now faced with having to get both wheels straightened. I may as well get all the wheels refurbed at the same time as the powder coat is lifting in a few places on the inner parts of the wheels, and while I’m at it a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports all round. The wallet is suddenly hurting a bit…

6 Likes

Move on some kit from the box room to cover it…

2 Likes

The perils of low-profile tyres…I’m assuming. Is there a “winter” size rim available?

It has the big brakes on it so 18" is the minimum, AFAIK. 19s were an option but are a complete no-go around here. The guys in the tyre fitters were telling me that most of the big alloys with low profile tyres they are seeing lately are very slightly buckled or with slight flat spots. They recommended I just live with it, but I can’t stand any vibration whatsoever through the car or wheel when at speed, so…

3 Likes

I encountered the A275/A22 junction a while back (just down from 'Legends). Mistakenly, I thought I was on A-roads, not a suspension test course - and it’s not at all funny to be braking downhill and hitting such a broken-up surface.

Had both lower front wishbones done a week or so ago, as the rubber bushes were ‘gone’ due to this and those wonderfully large sleeping policemen.

1 Like

Got a track day as a 60th birthday present from my wife… Just saying wow what a wonderful car to drive :smile:
Ferrari 488 GTB

19 Likes

Don’t know if they are too far from you, but Lepsons just by Gillingham station have a very good reputation built up over the years. They have a wheel refurbishment place and tyre shop on the same little estate.

I have 303M 20’s on my 730d add runflats (almost essential now, I think) and you can imagine what I think of the road conditions :rage:

Hi Richard,
Which generation of 3 series do you have?
When I had an F31, many “keen owners” felt that they needed to “upgrade” to 19” wheels. There were many sets of 18” wheels & tyres available on eBay . Worth a look.

Best regards, BF