What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested?

Laura Jurd’s band, Dinosaur - Together as One

If only the same could be said of my Saints this evening. Nevertheless a glass of half-decent red offers consolation.

Indeed somewhat surprising that you have never listened to this given a large Jarrett collection. I always used to be a bit snobby about this album given its popularity and the many other Jarrett solo albums that are so good, but actually over time (and increasing age sense!) I have come to appreciate how good it really is, particularly given the now well publicised difficult circumstances. 24 bit version is also highly recommended…

Neil Young with Crazy Horse, first listen and the first track sounds like classic Neil Young. Looking forward to the rest of the album.

10 Likes

Great to see that posted here Stephen. It still gets the occasional outing in this house.

1 Like

:metal:

Now playing…

Zakir Hussain - Making Music

Zakir Hussain (Tabla, Percussion, Voice), Hariprasad Chaurasia (Flutes), John McLaughlin (Acoustic Guitar) and Jan Garbarek (Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone).

Streaming on NAS… kicking off this late Friday afternoon with Zakir’s ‘Making Music’ and the music is magical being played by this magnificent quartet! This is one sweet album…

7 Likes

13 Likes

Now playing…

Annie Leibovitz - Cover Photo

Lucinda Williams - West

Lucinda Williams (Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), Robert Brophy (Viola),
Rob Burger (Accordion, Hammond B3, Hammond Organ, Piano, Electric Piano, Vox Organ, Wurlitzer, Wurlitzer Piano), Gia Ciambotti (Background Vocals), Bill Frisell (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar), Tony Garnier Electric Bass, Double Bass), Jim Keltner (Drums, Percussion), Timothy Loo (Cello), Gary Louris (Background Vocals), Doug Pettibone (Acoustic Guitar, Baritone Guitar, Electric Guitar) and Jenny Scheinman (String Arrangements, Violin).

Streaming on NAS… continuing on into the early evening with Lucinda and the wonderful assembly of musicians gathered for the recording of ‘West.’ One of my favorite albums by Lucinda, wonderful lyrics, music and voice. One sweet album and is sounding mighty fine and cranked up just a bit!

8 Likes

Now playing…

Tommy Castro - Right As Rain

Tommy Castro (guitar, vocals), Keith Crossan (saxophone, vocals), Dr. John (keyboards), Charles Jones (background vocals), Delbert McClinton (vocals), Tom Poole (trumpet), Randy McDonald (bass, background vocals), Jimmy Pugh (Wurlitzer organ), Annie Stocking (background vocals), Jeanie Tracy (background vocals) and John Turk (piano, background vocals).

Streaming on NAS… continuing on this Friday evening with an album that has not seen the light of day for awhile, this 1999 release ‘Right As Rain’ from Tommy and the band. It is sounding mighty fine!

3 Likes

Now playing…

Jan Garbarek and The Hilliard Ensemble - Remember me, my dear

Jan Garbarek (Soprano Saxophone) and The Hilliard Ensemble: David James (Countertenor), Rogers Covey-Crump (Tenor), Steven Harrold (Tenor) and Gordon Jones (Baritone).

Streaming on NAS… a recent arrival, ripped to NAS and taking out for a spin prior to calling it a night. As usual, Jan and the Hilliard Ensemble are sounding fantastic in the album ‘Remember me, my dear,’ recorded during the final tour the group made in October 2014.

4 Likes

pg

13 Likes

Dead Can Dance, Dionysus. Streamed from Quobuz to Muso. A dark wet morning in Worcestershire. An opener to exploring their back catalogue this weekend. I heard this a couple of years ago on Late Junction (Radio 3) and thought that the animal noises, birdsong etc were field recordings. But it seems that the musicians created the entire sound world.
220px-Dead_Can_Dance_%25E2%2580%2593_Dionysus

8 Likes

These John Peel Session releases are usually great music. I always enjoyed The Skids, and their distinctive cover of Walk on the Wild Side is rather good.

6 Likes

Don’t Fear the Reaper… what a great track on this enjoyable album
(44.1/24 via Qobuz)

14 Likes

2 Likes

As a kid I enjoyed the intriguing sound of this album, and all these years later I still listen to it… especially the psychedelic progressions… Remember a Day still gives me goose bumps.

14 Likes

Great album, saw them in Southampton when this came out👍

1 Like

Sleeper - The it Girl

1 Like

The Devil Makes Three - I’m a Stranger Here
The band mix old country blues, gospel, banjo reels, ragtime and back-country stomp into there brand of folk-punk.

1 Like

Santana - Caravanserai, truly groundbreaking when released, as the group changed direction after the first three albums.

16 Likes