What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested?

A fine album Gazza.

Hard to go wrong with RLJ - try Pirates which has the rather lovely ‘A Lucky Guy’ on it and Naked Songs : Live and Acoustic.

4 Likes

Thanks James…on my order list

1 Like

The Police Reggatta De Blanc, their second album finds them moving away from the punky/ new wave feel of the debut.

18 Likes

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Colorado

10 Likes

Gazza - thanks for reminding me of this album. Just listening to it at the moment. Whenever i listen to this album it reminds me of late teenage years, my bedroom system of a Heybrook TT2, Cyrus one and Monitor Audio R252 speakers, just before an LP12 arrived and then came a Naim 42.5, 140… Good times :sunglasses:

Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones

17 Likes

Thanks Debs - i know what i’ll be playing once RLJ has finished !

1 Like

Pirates, Flying Cowboys and Traffic From Paradise are early-career essentials IMO. Naked Songs and Live at Red Rocks are live albums, and kind-of like greatest hits. Her latest album of covers, Kicks is an absolute delight. Also recent and also great is The Other Side of Desire.

There are a couple of very different records, too. Girl at her Volcano is a live E.P. of jazz-style covers. Pop Pop is also jazz-style covers and quite different - They’re both great I wouldn’t necessarily start there.

It’s hard to go wrong with anything, but Ghostyhead and The Sermon on Exposition Boulevard are a bit more difficult to get into.

I mean, all her records are essentials in my view. I have everything she’s released mainstream (I think). Radiohead is perhaps the only other artist where I am a mainstream “completist”.

5 Likes

One of my favorite albums and much more dynamic as the new one which came out on Friday…

6 Likes

New from Chailly
CD on Decca

4 Likes

Lots of good recommendations above, Gazza. The only thing I would add is that, as Winkyincanada says, the Girl at Her Volcano EP ( if you can get it - not sure if you can get this on CD or by way of streaming) is a stunning sounding vinyl EP with an excellent cover of Under the Boardwalk.

Now playing…

Stephan Micus - To The Evening Child

Stephan Micus (Steeldrum, Voice, Dilruba, Suling, Kortholt, Nay, Sinding).

Streaming on NAS… kicking off this Saturday morning with something gentle and smooth to ease me into this cold, dark, and wet morning. As usual Stephan is providing the remedy to help me lift up into this day. Love his music and one sweet album!

3 Likes

Gene Clark & Carla Olson - So Rebellious a Lover

3 Likes

10 Likes

GAHV can be a bit hard to track down. A great recording. A “show off your system” kind of thing. Pirates is also a great recording with tremendous dynamic range. Years ago (and already familiar with the CD) I heard it on vinyl on a high end system. It was one of the most memorable hifi experiences I’ve had. Play “We Belong Together” and “Traces of the Western Slopes” pretty loud to see what I mean.

1 Like

I completely agree - all of my RLJ albums are on vinyl, but I don’t have any of her work after Traffic From Paradise. Something I need to rectify.

17 Likes

LP - Astralwerks 2008 : )

The B-52’s

Fred Schneider – vocals, cowbell (track 6)
Kate Pierson – vocals
Cindy Wilson – vocals
Keith Strickland – guitars, keyboards, programming, bass (tracks 1-2 & 11)

Additional musicians

Tracy Wormworth – bass (tracks 1, 3, 8 & 11)
Sterling Campbell – drums (tracks 2, 6-7 & 10-11)
Zachary Alford – drums (tracks 1, 3, 5, & 8-9)
Steve Osbourne – organ (tracks 1 & 3), bass & timpani (track 9)
Pete Davis – keyboards, synth-prog (tracks 2, 4, 6-8 & 10-11) drum-prog (tracks 4 & 7)
Dave McCracken – programming (tracks 5 & 9)
Damian Taylor – effects programming (tracks 1, 3, 5, & 8-9)
Sharon Adl-Doost – intro vocal (track 1)

Recordings: September 2006–November 2007 / Album release: 25th March 2008

<>

:balloon::balloon: Happy Birthday Keith Strickland! :birthday::balloon:

:ringer_planet: 66 years old Today! :smiley:

7 Likes

IMG_0260

Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live. Fine CD, but no What Can I Say on this. Perhaps he got fed up playing it.

8 Likes

Now playing…

Susanne Abbuehl - Compass

Susanne Abbuehl (Vocals), Wolfert Brederode (Piano), Christof May (Clarinet, Bass Clarinet), Lucas Niggli (Drums, Percussion) and Michel Portal (Clarinet)

Streaming on NAS…continuing on this Saturday morning with the beautiful sensual voice of Susanne Abbuehl and musicians who make up this quintet. Recorded in 2003/2004 and rereleased this past May. One beautiful and sweet album! …well worth the time to give a listen.

7 Likes

More talented trio than this? I can’t think of one.