What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

Fantastic album! Still got my original LP of this, but like you, I don’t listen to it so often these days.

Michael Franks - Rendezvous in Rio - 2006 KOCH / US CD / KOC CD 9964

michaelfranksRendezvousInRio

3 Likes

Now playing…

Gillian Welch & David Rawlings - All The Good Times are Past & Gone

All the Good Times tracklist:

1. “Oh Babe It Ain’t No Lie” (Elizabeth Cotton)
  2. “Señor” (Bob Dylan)
  3. “Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss” (Trad. arr. Gillian Welch & David Rawlings)
  4. “Hello in There” (John Prine)
  5. “Poor Ellen Smith” (Trad. arr. Gillian Welch & David Rawlings)
  6. “All the Good Times Are Past and Gone” (Trad. arr. Gillian Welch & David Rawlings)
  7. “Ginseng Sullivan” (Norman Blake)
  8. “Abandoned Love” (Bob Dylan)
  9. “Jackson” (Jerry Leiber, Billy Wheeler)
  10. “Y’all Come” (Arlie Duff)

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… a recent release and I placed in the Qobuz queue after several mentions and now getting around to taking out for a spin. A collection of 10 cover songs and best described in the ‘RollingStone:’ " Recorded at home on a reel-to-reel tape machine, the album — released to streaming on Friday — features the works of legendary songwriters including Bob Dylan (“Señor,” “Abandoned Love”), John Prine (“Hello in There”), Elizabeth Cotton (“Oh Babe It Ain’t No Lie”) and Norman Blake (“Ginseng Sullivan”), along with their fresh arrangements of traditional tunes such as “Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss” and “Poor Ellen Smith.” Taking its title from the traditional song recorded by artists including bluegrass legends Ralph Stanley and Jimmy Martin, the forthcoming LP also includes Welch and Rawlings stepping into the iconic shoes of Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash for a cover of the duet “Jackson.”

The opening track is sounding mighty fine and look forward to the rest of the album!

5 Likes

Doors - L A Woman
Stunning

25 Likes

Soundtrack Interesting Animated Movie

1 Like

I hadn’t listened to this for a few weeks, it’s sounding superb!

10 Likes

Azymuth - Spectrum - 2002 Milestone / Japan CD / VICJ 60959

1 Like

8 Likes

Now Playing…

Ray Lamontagne - Monovision

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… taking Ray out for another spin with this new album released on June 26 and he is sounding mighty fine! This is one sweet album…

10 Likes

Just purchased a mint vinyl copy of this album- I previously owned it and then got rid of my vinyl collection when Cd’s came along- big mistake as I am now buying back many albums that I have already bought once!
The SQ and production are outstanding on this album.

Massive Attack - Eutopia EP (2020)

eutopia

In which our lovable Bristolians unleash three new songs, featuring guest artists Algiers, Saul Williams, and Young Fathers, with highly charged, spoken-word commentary by three political speakers.

6 Likes

Another shout out for Live in Europe 72! Enjoy

3 Likes

Cheers I’ll investigate. :+1:

1 Like

Obviously there is no definitive choice, but Larry Carlton’s solo on Kid Charlemagne has to be on the short list for greatest guitar solo ever.

21 Likes

Which one? He plays two solos on that track. I transcribed both many years (decades!) ago. I must see if I can find it.

Answer: both are equally excellent.

1 Like

America, America, cd rip

Some excellent background music whilst deciding what album to play :slight_smile:

13 Likes

btdt more than once… :wink:

Vinyl to CD. The CD to vinyl. Then vinyl to streaming (from local NAS).

2 Likes

4 Likes

Mathew halsall. Arrived yesterday. Really enjoyable.

That’s the fourth album of his I have now bought and all of them are very good

Atb
Kk

4 Likes

Arcade Fire, Reflektor, cd rip

Some Canadian indie rock.

15 mins of this before we’re out of here and off to do some house restoration (DiY) :wink:

6 Likes