What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

Now Playing…

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Miles Davis (Trumpet), Cannonball Adderley (Alto Saxophone), Paul Chambers (Bass, Double Bass), Jimmy Cobb (Drums), John Coltrane (Tenor Saxophone), Bill Evans (Piano) and Wynton Kelly (Piano).

Streaming on NAS (192/16)… seeing a number of mentions of Miles above I thought I would join in and give my copy of ‘Kind of Blue’ a spin, and the band is sounding sublime!

25 Likes

Dee Dee Bridgewater’s first album Afro Blue - less than a fiver on Qobuz - just beautiful.

8 Likes

On vinyl, another one of Terry Callier’s Cadet LPs from the 1970s. The second side’s three songs are simply epic.

9 Likes

Now playing…

Sidsel Endresen - Exile

Sidsel Endresen (Voice), Django Bates (Piano, Tenor Horn), Nils Petter Molvaer (Trumpet), Jon Christensen (Drums, Percussion), David Darling (Cello) and Jens Bugge Wesseltoft (Keyboards).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with Sidsel’s album ‘Exile’ released in January 1994. Love her voice and she is accompanied by a fantastic group of musicians. …and they are sounding so very sweet!

3 Likes

Serious contender for the ugliest cover sleeve ever… As for the music, I gave up after Wind and Wutering

Claude

10cc - Deceptive Bends

21 Likes

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Classic Sab’s, worth it for Hand of Doom alone, but good from start to finish. :love_you_gesture:

24 Likes

Agreed, as I said to @Antz, Wind and Wuthering was the last really good album in my books. It all went a bit commercial after that.

3 Likes

Earlier today I listened to this 2015 album from Graham Parker & The Rumour.

8 Likes

Bit of Purple on purple. Another half speed master. Just waiting for Machine Head and Come Taste the Band to arrive now

18 Likes

Mellin and Reverberi’s hugely evocative music for a classic 1960s TV series, on a Silva Screen CD.

12 Likes

It’s music like this that recaptures my childhood - the house I lived in, friends at the time - just amazing how music can do that.

Funny I can still remember vividly bits of this TV series.

7 Likes

Just luv this album…he was the guy that decided not to fly on the fatal buddy holly crash with the big bopper.

5 Likes

On CD

Why? Suits my mood.

steve

3 Likes

Booker T. My memory sometimes fails me @anon37685938 so forgive me if I’ve mentioned this before but last year I bought a brilliant double vinyl of Booker T called The completeStax singles 1962-67. Mono. Green onions never sounded better. Your LP12 is crying out for it.:sunglasses:

CD - hyperion MMVII : )

Recorded in Das Kulturzentrum Grand Hotel, Dobbiaco, Italy on 1 - 4 June 2006

Cover art illustration: The Music Lesson by Jean-Honoré Fragonard ( 1732-1806 )

6 Likes

6 Likes

Great photo, it looks like 3D

One of the great lost albums of late 1970s West German electronica. Wolfgang Riechmann was a social worker and part-time musician, who made the classic Wunderbar in 1978 for the Sky label. It sank without trace but later became a hugely influential cult album. Sadly Riechmann didn’t live to see it released, let alone enjoy its elevation to esteemed status - in 1978 he was randomly stabbed in the street by two drunks and died a few days later aged just 31. Still, it’s superb synth music, that might appeal to a lot of folk on here…

Trivia: He formed his first band while at school - Michael Rother and Wolfgang Flūr were also members…

4 Likes

@Gazza a few years ago I met Tommy Allsup who was in Buddy’s band (Tommy was playing a small gig in London as part of Kevin Montgomery’s Band who’s father recorded with Buddy and whose mother Sonya sang backing vocals on Elvis’ Suspicious Minds).

Kevin got Tommy to tell us the story about the plane crash. Tommy said they were doing a tour and conditions were so cold they had an open fire in the tour bus and it got to the point where Buddy said that’s it I’m going to rent a plane. The Big Bopper got a seat as he had the flu and along with Buddy, Tommy also had a seat. Then just as they were about to leave Buddy asked Tommy to get his bag from the dressing room. Tommy said Buddy was a humble guy and it was an unusual request. Just as Tommy was leaving the dressing room Richie Valens blocked the door and said I’m going on that plane. Tommy said not a chance or words to that effect and Richie said I’ll toss you for it. Richie won the toss and got the seat and Tommy well back in 2008 was still alive to tell the tale. Amazing your life decided on the toss of a coin. Tommy was a real gentleman and at about 70 years of age a terrific guitar player.

8 Likes