What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

Lovely album.

I know most people stream stuff nowadays but I’m still in that limbo place post vinyl and pre streaming.

Best download price for this album either via High Res Audio for the Hi Res with 15% discount st £12.50 or £8 for the 16bit from the Nonsuch store the latter site is well worth checking out.

3 Likes

Alan Hull - Pipedream, his first solo album after Lindisfarne splintered into two factions.

9 Likes

John Coltrane - The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings

Now playing disc two. I hope I remember to play these albums in November in order to get deep into the vibe, with volume up and lights down. Such gripping sounds and exciting music making. Just imagine being in the Village Vanguard on November 2, 1961…

10 Likes

Kenny Barron - Wanton Spirit
With Roy Haynes and Charlie Haden

5 Likes

Siouxsie and the Banshees - The Scream.

One of my first concerts at Bath Pavillion. Just googled it- October 1978 and apparently the Human League were supporting. I don’t remember that, sadly. Maybe I missed it? Actually I don’t remember that much about the gig full-stop; or many of the others I went to in the Pavillion.

10 Likes

Unfortunately I also attended a lot of concerts where the memory has gone awol

1 Like

Eric Clapton - Back Home, I have this in the Dual-disc format, which features a cd layer on one side of the disc, and and a dvd layer on the other, which holds both audio and video content.An example of another format that did not exactly take off.

6 Likes

Laurence Hobgood - When The Heart Dances
With Charlie Haden and Kurt Elling
(the autocorrector does make strange corrections sometimes)

5 Likes

Two of my favourite musicians… Frankly, I didn’t know they were (or have been) together. No matter their offspring is a good musician, too!

Claude

1 Like

It’s an interesting question due to the obvious a/b comparison of this mono/stereo double vinyl album.
However i’m going to disappoint you with an unequivocal; it’s a 0 : 0 draw due to the sadly disappointing sonic Q which is probably the result of lazy digital transference.

It only cost me a fiver but i’m feeling a bit ripped off to he honest :joy:

I played ‘Bags Of Trane’ album after, from the Coltrane Atlantic Mono box set, and this sets an obvious far higher standard of musically engagement :+1:

It’s a shame, ‘Blue Train’ is a fantastic album, love to have an original copy, or perhaps a reissue of music matters pressing quality, and don’t really care if it’s mono or stereo :grinning:

11 Likes

Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

2 Likes

I bought my copy fairly recently which sounds pretty good. It has Blue note 1577 on the cover. There are some great Blue note albums from the 60s and 50s but the number of reissues is overwhelming. I am currently trying to pick the best copy of moanin. That Atlantic box set looks inviting.

1 Like

This is about the closest I’ve got to a classical album

Rodrigo Y Gabriela

And to be honest I’m really enjoying it, not too sure about Stairway To Heaven but they make a pretty good noise on everything else

12 Likes

Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons. Janine Jansen (violin) and friends. Decca vinyl.

We’re in the middle of a heat wave here and weather is tropical-like - hot, humid and utterly unstable. That reminded me of the Summer concerto from Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. Jansen plays it wonderfully, one can really feel the sudden change from still heath to storm.

The ensemble is very small - five solo strings plus harpsichord, organ and theorbo, which makes it a very different version. One of my favourites.

Claude

10 Likes

I fancied some industrial electronica, so I put on Craven Faults album, Erratics and Unconformities.

3 Likes

I think it is my favourite Van LP which I bought when it was released - long time ago !

2 Likes

Jansen is such a wonderful musician I wonder who at the record company suggested that we really need your looks to sell this disc

1 Like

Just finished listening to this one, wonderful !
Think I will put this on next

11 Likes

I picked up these two flac downloads on the Nonsuch Records store at a great price.

Just listening to Butterfly - NM has such beautiful voice. Backed on this album by a string quartet. Back in the day 1989 I had to decide which London show to attend - REM or 10,000 Maniacs - chose the latter and never regretted it.

11 Likes

Now playing…

Natalie Merchant - Butterfly

Natalie Merchant (Strings, Vocals), Stephen Barber (Strings), Karl Berger (Strings), Logan Coale (Acoustic Bass), Steve Elson (Clarinet, Saxophone), Tony Finno (Strings), Nadége Foofat (Strings), Megan Gould (Strings, Violin), Noah Hoffeld (Cello), Marandi Hostetter (Violin), Allison Miller (Drums, Percussion), Scott Moore (Viola), Peter Murray (Acoustic Guitar), Eleanor Norton (Cello0, Erik Della Penna (Acoustic Guitar) and Uri Sharlin (Accordion, Piano, Strings).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… a mention from @AndyP above had me reach for Natalie this morning and happy that I did, she is sounding absolutely fabulous! A lovely way to kick off this bright and beautiful morning…

14 Likes