What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

Out June 26th. One of the very best jazz albums of 2020, on blue vinyl.

4 Likes

The Band. Moondog matinee.1973. This is often overlooked because it is an album of covers but it is really very good. This 2001 cd has 6 bonus tracks including Endless highway.

8 Likes

images (17)

9 Likes

It’s Your Thing: The Story of The Isley Brothers. A comprehensive 3 CD anthology of their music.

10 Likes

Red Hot Chilli Peppers [1989]
Starting off with some Mother’s Milk but then again don’t we all?

Luv their cover of Higher Ground on this one.

8 Likes

18 Likes

Diggin’ out some old blues albums to play.
The video is little taster

2 Likes

Love this band. All their albums are good and there are also some great b sides to their singles. Last album (that I am aware of) A Strange Encounter is quite dreamy and atmospheric.

folder

2 Likes

I have Contact as well. A Strange Encounter and Crystal Sounds seem to be quite rare

Now playing…

Thea Gilmore - Murphy’s Heart

Thea Gilmore (Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), Liz Hanks (Cello), Michael Blair (Drums, Marimba, Metal Plates, Percussion, Pump Organ, Triangle, Vibraphone), Paul Burton (Trombone), Steve Butler (Vocals), Mike Cave (Guiro, Shaker, Tambourine), Mike Davis (Flugelhorn, Trumpet), Marco Ernadis (Baritone Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone) Fluff (Viola, Violin, Vocals), Fermin Herrera (Veracruz), Ulf Ivarsson (Bass, Synthesizer), Daniel J Logan (Bongos, Djembe, Hand Drums, Shaker, Timbales), Roy Martin (Drums) and Nigel Stonier (Bass, Bass Harmonica, Cuatro, Dulcimer, Guitar, Harmonium, Piano, Ukulele, Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with Thea and this talented group of musicians and they are sounding mighty fine!

4 Likes

<>

Carl Nielsen was born on this day in 1865

Nielsen was born on 9 June 1865, the seventh of twelve children in a poor peasant family, at Sortelung, near Nørre Lyndelse, south of Odense on the island of Funen :denmark:

Carl Nielsen 1865-1931

8 Likes

<>

Should be plenty of Les Paul guitars getting a good twanging on this thread today!

Les Paul was born on this day in 1915 :us: :grin: :+1:

10 Likes

I normally pick an artist and listen to a few albums on the trot…it helps to imprint my mind with the artist’s music…

images (7)

8 Likes

Hell, yeah!

Fumbling my way through ZZ Top’s “La Grange”, as we speak. :persevere:

3 Likes

15 Likes

Now playing…

Eleanor McEvoy - I’d Rather Go Blonde

Eleanor McEvoy (Vocals, Guitar, Violin, Viola, Piano, Organ, Keyboards), Gerry O’Connor (Banjo on tracks: 4, 5), Gavin Fox (Bass), Ross Turner (Drums, Percussion) and Peter Beckett (Piano, Keyboards, Harmony Vocals, Producer).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with Eleanor’s ‘I’d Rather Go Blond’ and she and the band is sounding sweet. The album cover is inviting and a warming sun and perfect contrast to the chilly and rainy day outside my window. One sweet album…

9 Likes

Jenny Lewis - On The Line

11 Likes

Further
Richard Hawley’s fine album from last year.

11 Likes

Ali Farka Toure… Savane

A late night tribute to this great musician…have enjoyed his music lots and continue to do so.

*Savane is the final solo album by Malian musician Ali Farka Touré.

• It’s the album of a man who had returned to music after years in which he had concentrated on his other great passion “farming, and the development of his local region”, and who knew he was seriously ill. He had retreated to his village of Niafunke, up in the desert north of Mali, along the banks of the Niger river, after becoming disillusioned with fame and touring, and determined to transform the region through his new role as mayor. Then, Touré developed another concern, that young Malians didn’t know enough about their country’s extraordinary and rich musical tradition.

He started working with exponents of the ngoni (the traditional Malian plucked lute), including the virtuoso Bassekou Kouyaté, and set up his own guitar and ngoni band. This album was recorded as part of the same sessions that produced the best-selling In the Heart of the Moon album with Toumani Diabaté, though the recordings are remarkably different.

images (7)

*From The Guardian

Beautiful Africa…
Beautiful Music
Someday I hope to visit…

8 Likes