What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

4 Likes

Dug a few reggae albums out for my late afternoon listening. Used to have a decent collection of reggae vinyl including a lot from Jamaica itself as the company I worked for at one time imported a lot direct from Kingston in the old days but never got around to replacing a lot of them when I gave away all my vinyl to a friend for nothing.

Jamaican vinyl, memories of some of the worst vinyl pressings ever. They tended to re use old records which were melted down without taking the centre label off and re pressed into new records so you used to see a chunk of paper sticking out of a record and don’t alk about surface noise.

4 Likes

And now, prompted by a different thread

7 Likes

Hello @ewemon I have the original vinyl of this album and it’s wonderful but it sounds different to streaming versions and I believe subsequent cd releases. The original vinyl is more laid back. Have you experienced this?

9 Likes

Now playing…

Sarah Jarosz - Undercurrent

Sarah Jarosz (vocals, guitar, mandolin and banjo), Mark Schatz (upright bass), Jedd Hughes (guitar) and Luke Reynolds (guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on into the afternoon with Sarah’s beautiful voice and some wonderful lyrics and although she she goes solo on four of the tracks she has some help from some talented musicians stepping in with her on the remaining seven. One very sweet album!

8 Likes

4 Likes

51Tg15QMqQL.SY355

Old Cypress copy, but sounding superb, on vinyl…

13 Likes

I take your point.

2 Likes

Now playing…

Nicole Atkins - Italian ice

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on into the mid afternoon hour with a random pick from the recent released album queue. Some pop/retro soul songs are described in the review so here we go…

4 Likes

Nicole has such a wonderful voice. Pity her albums are always hit and miss. Neptune City has some great tracks but very uneven. Looking forward to listening to this one.

1 Like

I have this coming in the mail and am very much looking forward to it. The version of Solid Air from this series was exceptional. What others have you got?

61FE5K5l9kL.AA256

On vinyl…

3 Likes

David

Own the below all these are exceptional recording from abbey road

Elbow seldom seen kid with BBC concert orchestra
Japan Tin Drum
Japan gentleman take Polaroid
Genesis seconds out
crowded House best off
The Beatles Abbey Road Giles Martin
The Beatles Sargent pepper
Dusty in Memphis
Mike Oldfield tubular bells

Also on order The Rolling Stones half speed 3 albums

I do like the recording quality of these albums

Thanks. Agree that they are great. I also have Seconds Out and it is fabulous, and Free’s Fire and Water which is good but not great. The Miles Showell half speed masters of the studio Genesis albums (as recommended by Richard Dane) are, although not so overtly “Abbey Road Half Speed Mastered” branded, of the same quality and highly recommended, particularly the Gabriel albums and Trick and Wind and Wuthering, and these have been my lock down treat and rediscovery of some great music. The Rolling Stones ones interest me…

2 Likes

Now playing…

Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… this album has gotten a number of mentions and finally getting around to taking out for a spin. Katie has a lovely voice and enjoying the opening track and look forward to the rest of the album.

7 Likes

6 Likes

Thanks Kevster for the advanced warning

Claude

1 Like

i should get this!

It has been about 25+ years since I heard the vinyl but I remember thinking when I first played the cd that I thought there was something different about it and wasn’t as good as the vinyl but couldn’t compare as I had given away my vinyl to a friend.

I notice from a post on a certain river that they apparently did remix the album by bringing up the horns more and pushing the acoustic guitar and flute further back into the mix but cannot confirm this.

My advice stick with the original vinyl.

1 Like