Bernie Marsden - Kings

5 Likes

Elliott Murphy - Aquashow
The album is a minor classic of Dylan-esque folk-rock

1 Like

CD - EMI Classics : )

<>

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf died 15 years ago today

Schwarzkopf died in her sleep during the night of 2–3 August 2006 at her home in Schruns, Vorarlberg, Austria, aged 90. Her ashes, and those of (husband) Walter Legge, were buried next to her parents in Zumikon near Zürich, where she had lived from 1982 to 2003.

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf 1915-2006

5 Likes

Portishead - Dummy

A few others have posted this recently, which nudged me to play it. Currently playing on Qobuz because I don’t own a copy. I’ve come close to owning a copy on at least three occasions, but somehow have never quite managed it. Listened to it for the first time yesterday and am now on second play. It’s quite hypnotic in places!

14 Likes

Christoph Koncz - Mozart’s Violin - The Complete Violin Concertos.

4 Likes

Nicolas Meier Orient / 2005 naim / UK CD / naimcd091

2 Likes

Portishead - epon.

I rather like this!

12 Likes

Orville Peck - Pony

Glad you’re enjoying them, Clive. Only “Third” left to go to complete the trilogy of their studio albums. There’s also Roseland NYC live.

3 Likes

Streaming…

AllMusic Review by Rick Anderson

Some may be surprised to know that reggae music actually has deep roots in jazz. Ska, reggae’s stylistic precursor, came into being as a fusion of Jamaican mento, calypso, and American R&B, but some of its earliest and best players were Kingston jazz musicians, and early ska tunes were very often characterized by swinging rhythms and walking basslines. Ska eventually slowed down and its rhythms shifted, resulting first in the short-lived “rocksteady” style before it slowed further and became reggae, which dominated the island’s music scene for a decade and a half before eventually being supplanted by the more raucous dancehall style. Pianist Monty Alexander has been bringing jazz back to reggae music (and vice versa) for decades; Harlem-Kingston Express finds him in a live setting, continuing to explore the connections between traditional reggae and straight-ahead jazz while also forging new ones. An example of the latter approach is his strange but intriguing take on the dub reggae classic “King Tubby Meets the Rockers Uptown.” The original tune was a dub remix of Jacob Miller’s “Baby I Love You So,” mixed by the legendary producer King Tubby and embellished by Augustus Pablo’s melodica; it is considered by many to be the finest example of 1970s dub ever recorded. Alexander starts out playing the tune more or less straight, taking the melodica part himself – then suddenly, the ensemble erupts into a frantic Afro-Cuban middle section before modulating and coming back to the original theme. Elsewhere, he delivers a brisk but unexceptional take on “Sweet Georgia Brown,” a partly successful reggae adaptation of the jazz standard “Freddie Freeloader,” and a surprisingly perfect arrangement of Bob Marley’s “No Woman No Cry.” Alexander continues to be a highly effective ambassador between two once-fraternal musical styles that have sadly lost touch with each other since childhood.

:heart:

3 Likes

Sigur Ros, (), bandcamp

Subtle and soothing background.

4 Likes

Tunes to do chores by…

1 Like

Streaming…

Monty Alexander’s brilliant JA infused interpretations of Thelonious Monk
Well worth checking out

Wareika Hill - Rastamonk Vibrations

2 Likes

Whitesnake - Lovehunter.

9 Likes

Streaming…

Fela Kuti who passed away yesterday 2 Aug 1977

Fela Kuti - The Best Of The Black President

So much great music I think its impossible to compile a “best of” but a few choice tracks here.

R-4446727-1365110850-8911.jpeg
(Not keen on the sound on this comp compared to the original album tracks)

4 Likes