What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

The random radio extension (which is really excellent) has led me here

What a great title and the music doesn’t disappoint.

.sjb

7 Likes

Steely Dan, Aja. Not what I expected at all. It’s so jazzy. Interesting. :relaxed:

20 Likes

Loretta Lynn, coal miner’s daughter. Was going to pick up the pace after Steely Dan but started playing this… and I am hooked. :relaxed:

Great story telling but it is not an reflection of Loretta’s upbringing.

5 Likes

Happy days. That’s got the melody of ‘Stained by Dead Horses’ stuck in my head for the rest of the weekend now.

Jamiroquai, traveling without moving. Always been intrigued about this but never played before. Also identifying with the title of course in this pandemic time. Thanks @Collywobbles! :blush:

6 Likes

Rick Wakeman Journey to the Centre of the Earth

15 Likes

Listen to as much Steely Dan as you can - to me it is almost perfect music.

Check these out (if you wish).

One short: (~7 mins)

One long: (An hour)

Great band.

4 Likes

Thank you @DrMark , stopped Jamioquai (will finish that later), watching part 1 now. Much homework to do for me! I didn’t even know Donald Fagen is co-founder of Steely Dan. :joy:

Thank you again and have a great weekend!

Bruce Springsteen The Ghost of Tom Joad

22 Likes

Don McLean American Pie

15 Likes

Ross Ryan My Names Means Horse

1 Like

Saw Bruce do this small tour in Sydney for this album away back - stand up in small Metro

Sensational live and a fantastic album

I think it’s a great album. Those smaller venues are so much better. I remember seeing Lou Reed at the Metro one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to.

IMHO she never got the acclaim she deserved.

2 Likes

Richard Clapton Girls on the Avenue

1 Like

I have to get near the fro in those small stand up venues as 5’7 ha

I’m not much taller, actually if at all. The second deck at the Metro (I think haven’t been there for years) was my sweet spot.

Watch quite a few vid and reading along the way. Already makes me want to listen to Aja all over again. Not big on history but I frankly really enjoy reading about the artist behind. It adds to the appreciation so much more.

Donald Fagen and Walter Becker really feel like producers as much as they are singer, song writer, musician given their use of session players over the years and specific to individual songs. They perfect their craft in studio and behind sound desk which explains why they didn’t used to tour. Now their style and work makes much more sense.

Critical to their success was also Roger Nichols. Obviously a talented man. He was a nuclear operator, scuba diver instructor, avid photographer, pilot, lecturer and inventor! Can’t help feeling sorry for Nichols who was fired in 2002 by the band apparently without explanation and was told second hand, after working with the band for 30 years! He has since passed away in 2011. Not sure of connection but it makes me think of what Fagen said about himself, his younger days at Bard College where the band first started, “(time at Bard college was) probably the only time in my life that I actually had friends.” Walter Becker passed away in 2017.

Thanks again @DrMark.

2 Likes

Steely Dan, two against nature. :relieved:

16 Likes

The Go Betweens excellent 16 Lovers Lane

5 Likes