What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Latest from Nils Petter Molvaer and opening number sounding great

4 Likes

12 Likes

21 Likes

Dood and Juanita is unequal parts love story, history lesson, and action-adventure tale, a cross as classic as the sounds around it.

3 Likes

LP - Epic Records from the Analogue Productions 2013 reissue 6LP boxset : )

Stevie Ray Vaughan – guitars, vocals
Chris Layton – drums
Tommy Shannon – bass guitar
Reese Wynans – keyboards

The Sky Is Crying is a compilation of songs recorded by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble spanning most of their career. Released 14 months after Vaughan’s death on 27th August 1990, the album features ten previously unreleased tracks recorded between 1984 and 1989. Only one title, “Empty Arms” (complete reprisal), appeared on any of the group’s previous albums. The tracks were compiled by Vaughan’s brother, Jimmie Vaughan, and was Vaughan’s highest charting album at number 10

Stevie Ray Vaughan died on this day in 1990

19 Likes

Taking advantage of some rare me time:

Two Kings to start the afternoon, in mono.
Otis, of course - and Buddy.
Consummate Soul and Swing.

9 Likes

It clearly doesn’t sound anything like Black Sabbath or Nirvana, but there are moments when, spiritually at least, Happier Than Ever feels like a 21st-century pop equivalent of the former’s Sabotage or the latter’s In Utero, two albums that also succeeded in a painting a compellingly bleak but empathetic picture of stardom.

8 Likes

To be fair Graeme the Snape Summer Proms does usually include some modern jazz and world music - nothing to scare the horses though! The likes of Jack deJohnette and Orchestra Baobab. Interestingly not much choral music.

1 Like

Led Zeppelin, iii. :sunglasses:

19 Likes

A tremendous album! Many years ago (actually decades), this was my introduction to Thelonious Monk and all his wonderful angular melodies. I have two copies, one of which is mono, which sounds a bit flat, so the stereo is the one for me. Superb.

2 Likes

Lovely muted Miles - Hypnotic.

G

11 Likes

Marianne Faithfull - The Montreux Years
Live recordings made over the years at the jazz festival

12 Likes

Been a Doors fan since I was 13. I’m 67 now.
Still am. The soundtrack of my life!

15 Likes

Hitch-hiked from Dundee to Paris to visit Pèr Lachaise in 1982 such was my devotion. Still played to this day.

G

3 Likes

I was there in 81 when the (second) head and shoulders statue was still there. Wrote ‘POET’ on the headstone under Jim’s name, in none too neat felt tip (see Prochnicky’s book).

For which I got roundly ticked off on The Doors Forum from a friend of Jim’s. And quite rightly too. Vandalism. But luckily it faded quickly!

2 Likes

Well, it must have been ‘81 for me too as that bust was there…heady days so the exact date is a bit of a blur.

G

2 Likes

Not so much to see there when I visited ‘89 but still a must when I was in Paris anyway.

2 Likes

We could have passed by each other, lol…

A beautiful place, Pére Lachaise. I must go back, was planning next year but my wife says “hmph…I don’t want a Morrison tour!”

I won’t even hint at a trip back to LA, then!

2 Likes

Snarky Puppy Immigrance / 2019 GroundUP / EU CD / 193483246949

5 Likes

Paging Mr Ra, longdistance call on the Galactaphone…

8 Likes