What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Keith Richards, crosseyed heart. :relaxed:

7 Likes

610YQ2UfuDL.SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2

Once Mustafa Atatürk founded a secular state in Turkey in the 1920s, women’s role in society was strengthened. Consequently, a flood of women entered music, notably as supper club singers. Nonetheless, it was a risky proposition, due to Islamic beliefs, for most women to perform in public. So the phonograph provided a way for women to contribute to Turkey’s burgeoning, albeit overly-Westernized and sanitized (the flip side of Atatürk’s influence) pop culture. These tunes, made between 1928-53, are traditional folk songs, religious classical, and light cabaret-style cantos. Whether backed by swelling, full groups or single instruments, these women could belt and balladize, in a wholly Turkish mixture of European and Middle Eastern styles. This is extremely rare, previously undocumented music; it’s phenomenally moving, liberating stuff. –Mike McGonigal

4 Likes

Nightwish, once. Rremastered. I never get sick of this however many times I play it. :relaxed:

5 Likes

Michel Petrucciani Michel Plays Petrucciani / 1998 Blue Note / Holland CD / CDP7486792

Michel Petrucciani Piano
John Abercrombie Guitar
Eddie Gomez, Gary Peacock Bass
Steve Thornton Percussion
Al Foster, Roy Haynes Drums

4 Likes

3 Likes

box-tops-letter-neon-rainbow-vinyl-uk_1_c88f0794824e3f9fd69aed956926d245

the box tops the letter/neon rainbow

4 Likes

Casiopea Down Upbeat / 2002 Village / Japan CD / VRCL2232

1 Like

Really enjoying this right now

2 Likes

5 Likes

From the new 1969-71 box set.

7 Likes

Really liking Bobbie Gilespies new album with Jenny Beth at the moment ‘Utopian Ashes…’ a long way from the Primal Scream Sound… reminds me of a Gen X version of Raising Sand…

4 Likes

Till Brönner Blue Eyed Soul / 2002 Verve / Germany CD / 0168792

2 Likes

1st run

2 Likes

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass ( 50th ).

15 Likes

The Black Keys - Magic Potion.

The Keys at their raw, no frills, best.

11 Likes

Excellent blues album

4 Likes

Another wonderful blues album. Big Jon recorded a couple of sets for a friends own label. Both are great albums but hard to track down now. He likes to get back to the old raw sound of the 50’s blues classics and frequently records in mono.

6 Likes

Brian Jackson - a legend.

1 Like

@ewemon

Hi Ewe,

Yon album is on Tidal, and now packed into my “favourites” for a listen later on.

So too is the John Primer one, along with tons of his other albums, also saved here for later.

Great shout, 'mon.

Another classic

6 Likes