What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

4 Likes

6 Likes

Considering it’s over 65 years old, SQ is outstanding. Great music too! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

The distinctive gnarly and gravel voice of Prince Far I, kind of Tom Waits meets Dub after smoking a Bong load of Ganja :grin:

Fine 1980 album Jamaican Heroes
Streaming and re issued on the black stuff from MOV

:heart:

2 Likes

Lambchop - The Trip. A release from the tail end of last year, this is an album of covers (quite a few of the song choices are fairly obscure) and, for the most part, this is in my view a welcome return to the earlier Lambchop sound (instead of the beats and electronics of their previous two albums).

3 Likes

500x500

Thom Yorke phase…

3 Likes

On vinyl… :grin: :notes: :+1:t3:

6 Likes

Wonderful !!!

3 Likes

Skatalites - Best of.

Cheap as chips double CD, with 40 tracks from the gloriously off key Skatalites … what’s not to like?

4 Likes

Another slab of triple Fabs Anthology vinyl. No.2 this time.

16 Likes

Angela Hewitt - Schumann
CD|2007

5 Likes

Superb recommendation and another new one to me. I have just queued this and am very impressed.

1 Like

Off key?

worth doing…once you take a look you will see quite a lot to catch up on…down the rabbit hole :grinning:

1 Like

Aye, the overall harmonies contain quite bit of minor key discord, but then that’s what gives them that unique Skatalites sound.

1 Like

That’s how Ska is supposed to sound it’s all on the inverted off beat.
They were all well trained Jazz musicians. schooled at the famous and most unlikely Alpha Boys School for “wayward youth” run by Sister Ignatious, probably the hippest nun on the planet who taught music and even had a sound system!
I wouldnt have called any of them off key to their face :joy:

1 Like

Black Roots - Nothing In The Larder

Really enjoying and feeling this latest offering from Bristolian Roots Rockers. One of the great surviving foundation UK Reggae bands along with Misty In Roots who since the late 70’s continue to plough their conscious furrow avoiding fad and fashion.
Reformed for the fine 2012 album On The Ground I have to admit to being a tad disappointed with the 2 or 3 albums since which just didnt seem to have that “vibe”. Nothing In The Larder though is Black Roots back on top of their game, glorious one drop UK Roots Reggae with a strong message and uplifting vibe.

The world is in the grip of a pandemic, deepening inequality and growing racism and discrimination. There is great uncertainty driven by politicians whose aim is to roll back personal freedoms and subjugate populations, even in countries that trade on their democratic credentials. Divide and rule seems to be the new mantra. There is much to fear from this new world order. But unlike the past there is a growing lobby that is pushing back against this tide, against the senseless killing of Black people by the Police and it is winning hearts and minds. These movements are a cause to be optimistic, but we cannot be complacent ‘la lutta continua’ until equality and justice prevail.

‘Nothing in the Larder’, is a timely reminder that we must continue to promote equality, justice and enlightenment. ‘Wisdom and knowledge are the food for life’. The message is that in the depths of despair there is hope for a better world to come, if not for us then for the youths.

The Beatles | Magical Mystery Tour | 1967
One of my favourite late fabs albums to see off the end of another warm sunny afternoon. :sunglasses:

20 Likes

12 Likes

4 Likes