What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Father John Misty - God’s Favorite Customer
CD|2018

8 Likes

Let’s see if it’s worth the wait…

5 Likes

Now playing…

Enrico Rava Quintet - Tribe

Enrico Rava (Trumpet), Gianluca Petrella (Trombone), Giovanni Guidi (Piano), Gabriele Evangelista (Double-Bass), Fabrizio Sferra (Drums) and Giacomo Ancillotto (Guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… a mention from @Ian above reminded me I have not had Enrico out for a spin in awhile and there is no time like the present… Enrico and his assemble group of talented musicians are sounding sublime! One very fine album…

3 Likes

Some trax off this due out late Oct.

6 Likes

A few tax off the Doors LA Woman 50th Anniversary due out 3rd Dec

15 Likes

Great call! Brilliant album very reflective of it’s time recorded against the backdrop of violent warring political factions during the elections
:heart:

My fav Mighty Diamonds album. Played the vinyl to death when it came out.

1 Like

Right Time is another good un
R-3859350-1435180098-8337.jpeg

4 trax of this released on 17th Sept.

2 Likes

A bunch of trax off this the new Elton album. It’s an album of collaborations
Video is the first track on the album.

2 Likes

Bought the original vinyl of this in a market in London in 1977 then later on whilst living in Edinburgh someone nicked it. Always thought that the album didn’t do them justice as they were excellent live

3 Likes

New to me, will see if I can check it out, cheers

Crikey!..…if he’s playing music like this AT AGE 16……what’s he gonna be like in 5/10 years.

The debut blues guitar album from the British wunderkind Toby Lee: Aquarius.

Stunning.

1 Like

Very nice; now on 2nd play (very loud) of ‘blind man blind man’.

8 Likes

Back to the Fabs, and Anthology 3 on vinyl:

17 Likes

ABBA - I Still Have Faith In You - Tidal 16/44
Joining @TheKevster in listening to the new songs from ABBA. I went in nervously as I’d hate them to sound like a pastiche of themselves or a bad attempt at modern pop, I’ve had 2 listens and I’m really happy so far. It sounds like ABBA, I was going to say a more mature ABBA, but behind the pop perfection was always hidden deep emotion in some tracks. I Still Have Faith In You is a classic ABBA ballad, beautiful hymn to friendship with harmonies leading inexorably to a power chord finish. Don’t Shut Me Down is disco ABBA, a story song with an irresistible beat. The voices are more mature, but more youthful than I expected, all in all I’m dead happy, one of the great bands making a new album after nearly 40 years, and it sounds great to me. (Maybe after a few days I’ll be more critical, but so far I’m really impressed that they’re back.)

11 Likes

Time for rock

3 Likes
2 Likes

@dave-marshall
Sorry to impose. If your interested in The Ska-Talites or JA musicians generally I would highly recommend checking out this book all about the history of The Alpha Boys School and its musical alumni

2 Likes

Nice one, thanks! Surprised they’ve never come into my Reggae radar before

Edit: thanks for posting @ewemon
This from my favourite source of JA music Dub Vendor probably explains how they must have passed me by at the time. An interesting discovery

• Merger - Exiles In A Babylon (Makasound) CD

Added 06/03/09: The latest release from French reggae revival label is this forgotten album from 1977 by the group Merger. Formed in that year by ex-pat Jamaican multi-instrumentalist Barry Ford alongside Mikey Dan aka Mike Dorane and Winston Bennett, Merger created an experimental variation on the contemporary roots reggae formula and made many friends amongst those on the London gig circuit appearing on the same bill as punk and new wave acts, rather in the manner of Steel Pulse and the Cimarrons. Indeed, the track Rebel is a homage to Johnny Rotten. They were an album band rather than a singles band which meant they failed to make much impact on the London reggae scene, which was heavily tilted towards music from Jamaica and the sound system culture, and so the group remain, like many of the UK reggae groups from those days, an unrecognised and non-celebrated part of the UK’s reggae history. They split in 1980 after recording some tracks in Jamaica with the Studio One Band at Harry J’s Studio, two of which; Rebel and Freedom Fighters, are added to this release. In retrospect, Exiles In A Babylon is an entertaining and very musical album that addresses the usual reggae concerns but in a more outernational style, closer to Jamaican performing bands such as Zap Pow or Third World than the rootsier approach of, say, Aswad.