What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Don’t forget Maroon Town, 16 October. I’m ordering the beer.

1 Like

Casiopea Photographs / 2002 Village / Japan CD / VRCL2229

1 Like

16 Oct turns out to possibly be a bit problematic, stick me on the guest list :wink: and I’ll get over if I can
:heart:

John McLaughlin - Liberation Time

Listening to the title track, I’m convinced this is what Coltrane would have sounded like on guitar. Astonishing! Superb album, even if a little short by today’s standards.

7 Likes

Porcupine Tree - House Of Blues, on vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes: :grin:

6 Likes

61ynnQqa2IL.AC

Don Letts Presents … Dread Meets Punk Rockers Uptown Volume 2 - various artists.

Ah, memories of happy Roxy evenings!

7 Likes

LP - Ensign Records 1979 : )

Bob Geldof – vocals, saxophone
Pete Briquette – bass, vocals
Gerry Cott – guitar
Johnnie Fingers – keyboards, vocals
Simon Crowe – drums, vocals
Garry Roberts – guitar, vocals

Recorded August 1978 - Jan 1979 / album release June 1979

<<>>

Happy Birthday Bob! :balloon: :balloon: :birthday:

born and brought up in Dún Laoghaire, Ireland. 5th October 1951 :ireland:

70 years old Today! :yum: :cake:

15 Likes

I think this is the album that really launched the career of Pino Palladino. With good reason imho.

Smokey. Vinyl compilation. Genius.

R-1884489-1250036361.jpeg

12 Likes

Late Night Tales - Version Excursion selected by Don Letts

@dave-marshall
Saw your Don Letts post…
Taking a slight liberty with the thread as not actually heard it yet (it’s on my to play list) but looks interesting.

I love the Capitol 1212 with Earl Sixteen cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart. It’s been around a while on one of the volumes of Mungo’s Hi Fi Puffers Choice

Review: On the latest volume in the Late Night Tales series, Don Letts has dug deep into his crates to present a selection of some of his favourite dubbed-out reggae cover versions, alongside dub style remixes of more contemporary covers. It’s a simple concept, brilliantly executed, with Letts offering up some exclusive, dubplate style remixes amongst the classic cuts and recent gems. Highlights include, but are in no way limited to, the full vocal dub of Capitol 1212’s take on Joy Dvision’s ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’, Mad Professor’s insanely weighty 2021 dub of John Holt classic ‘You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine’, Blackbox Recorder’s oddball reggae-soul version of ‘Uptown Top Rankin’ and Easy Stars All Stars’ deliciously mystical interpretation of The Beatles’ ‘Within You Without You’.
:heart:

3 Likes

Following @anon23112058 's lead, I dug out my Blue Nile Rooftops on Linn Records…wow, it’s quite a startling sound to hear it after so long! First time on the 252/300 too - fairly leaps out of the speakers…

Followed by Black Pumas, for contrast:

16 Likes

The The - Soul Mining.

9 Likes

I’ll check it out … and, the Earl 16 choon … brilliant!

I’m a huge fan of Mungo’s Hi Fi and all things Scotch Bonnet … I’m not sure, but I may have mentioned this before? :joy: :joy:

1 Like

His collaboration with Gary Numan on I, Assasin was his initial spring board but as you say, the ball really start to roll with No Parlez. What an amazing talent! :relaxed:

1 Like

Your recent upgrade to 252/300 has breathed new life into your existing collection. I wish you many happy years of rediscovery :relaxed:

1 Like

Elvis’ Gold Records Vol 4. A awesome compilation by The King! Qobuz. Uniti Nova.

6 Likes

It’s a great album. Really good cover of Uptown Top Ranking

1 Like

Oh yes!
:+1:

Indeed! And thank you again for the prompt - I had completely forgotten about Heatwave, and the Terry Riley influence on From Rags…

Beautiful :heart_eyes:

1 Like

On CD:-

10 Likes