What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

The Only Ones.

6 Likes

:+1::heart:

5 Likes

Superb soundtrack. Any fan of the edge should find much to enjoy here - as his tone and phrases are top notch. Even better than the real thing.
Although I have to admit to have never watched the movie,

2 Likes

Your backside is almost spot on but I think there were more VU influences than PF on them. They were (still are!?)also great live.

2 Likes

Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady.

5 Likes

In the mood for some Scandi long dark night of the soul stuff. This new’un is purrfect. Tidal streaming Eivind Aarset & chums
Phantasmagoria or A Different Kind of Journey

7 Likes

Tres Hombres | 1973
Because I just fancied something from the ZZ Tops “that little old band from Texas”, a band who I’ve followed and loved through all their studio and live albums from their day one. RIP Dusty. :guitar:

19 Likes

My backside defers to your better knowledge :+1:
Now you mention it, I can see/hear where your coming from
Cheers
:heart:

1 Like

Tyrone Taylor - Cottage In Negril ( Diamond C International LP)

Some easy going (but not easy listening in the worse sense of the word) Lovers & Roots Reggae vibes from the lovely soulful voice of the under exposed Tyrone Taylor, also features Beres Hammond’s backing vocals.

Cottage in Negril, a self-produced effort that Taylor wrote and recorded in 1981, referred to a problematic romantic liaison the singer experienced with an overseas visitor in the once sleepy town on Jamaica’s west coast, which had become a haven for backpackers from north America and Europe. The song, which also included the sound of cocaine being snorted mid-way through its verses, also pointed to the dramatic changes reshaping Jamaican society following the traumatic 1980 general election, in which the PNP was replaced by the rightwing Jamaica Labour party. Cottage in Negril gradually found favour with overseas audiences, being picked up by major label MCA two years later, making Taylor the best-selling reggae singer of 1983 and leading to a memorable performance at the following year’s Reggae Sunsplash.

1 Like

Now playing…

The Eivind Aarset 4-Tet’s - Phantasmagoria, or A Different Kind of Journey

Eivind Aarset (Guitar), Erland Dahlen (Drums, Percussion, Logdrum, Vibraphone) Audun Erlien (Bass, Casio Synth), and Wetle Holte (Percussion, Keyboards, Metallophone). Jan Bang (Samples), John Derek Bishop (Field Recordings and Treatments) and Arve Henriksen (Trumpet).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… a mention from @BlueCanary above had me place this in the queue and taking out for a spin. Opening track is sounding mighty fine and looking forward to the rest of the album!

4 Likes

The Undertones.

6 Likes

Leonard Cohen - Popular Problems

Blimey, this is good.

That half gravelly singing, half whispering voice is just glorious, and has aged wonderfully, like a fine wine.

Another lesson in where less in more. Sparse instrumentation and backing singers, with that dark, foreboding voice taking centre stage.

I always use this album, a bog standard CD rip I might add, to test any changes I have made to my system. It is so revealing of the most subtle of improvements in kit and set up. I’ve recently ripped out a cheap automation jack cable between my ND555 and 552, and boy I can hear what that has done to the reproduction of this album. More layers, more delicate tones and a tighter deep bass with notes instead of sounds.

16 Likes

If you like this, listen to his Live In London or Live in Dublin lp’s (or stream).
Best I have ever heard him. Truly moving.

3 Likes

Isn’t it just? Wonderful stuff.

7 Likes

ZZ Top | Tejas | 1976
Wanting more from the 'Tops and because I just particularly lurve the final track Asleep in the Desert.

9 Likes

On CD. I don’t like Snarky Puppy but this solo effort by their keys man is superb – one of my favourite jazz records of last year.

6 Likes

Ken Boothe - Inna De Yard (Wagram/Chapter Two LP)

One of Jamaica’s finest soulful voices, the undeniably great Ken Boothe.

His recent Inna De Yard Session recorded acoustically in guitarist Earl Chinna Smith’s open air home and studio in the hills above Kingston.
Even if you dont usually like JA music/Reggae you may find yourself enjoying this…

7 Likes

Also for Bowie fans and in prep for his 75th Birthday Celebrations I got this sent to me. If you click Bowie 75 in the first sentence it will take you to the Bowie 75 website.

In advance of David Bowie’s 75th birthday on Jan. 8, 2022, his estate is getting a head start on Bowie 75, a year-long celebration marking this milestone, with the early launch of two experiential pop-up shops and events in New York City and London, opening Oct. 25, 2021 and running through the end of January 2022.

The London Bowie 75 pop-up, located at 14 Heddon Street, the exact spot where the cover of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars was photographed, will honor the 1972 release and one of Bowie’s most essential albums, while the New York spot, at 150 Wooster, will pay homage to Bowie’s final album, Blackstar, in his adopted city, where the 2016 album was recorded and produced and released on Bowie’s 69th birthday, just two days before he passed away.

Each pop-up will give visitors an immersive experience into the sound and many personae of Bowie with audio and HD video screening rooms, in partnership with 360 Reality Audio, where fans can see and hear snapshots of Bowie’s career, including previously unseen behind-the-scenes rare footage from the Heathen and Reality eras (2002 and 2003, respectively), and more in immersive audio provided by Sony spatial sound technology.

Limited edition releases of exclusive Bowie apparel and collectibles, LPs and CDs will also be available for purchase, in addition to fine art photography, including gallery installations spanning Bowie’s many iconic phases.

Special guest appearances will be revealed at both locations, and visitors will also have access to facsimile Bowie costumes and other set pieces for social media shares

12 Likes

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral.

4 Likes

Average White Band | 1974
Their eponymous sophomore album and what a fine Scottish band they were.

11 Likes