What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

This was a nice surprise album I got in the collection I bought earlier this year. Lovely voice.

2 Likes

Fabulous Acoustic Sounds version

7 Likes

Oleta Adam’s- Evolution (Fontana LP 1993)

The follow up to Circle Of One, more of the same really and when its Oleta Adam’s nowt wrong with that. Musicianship and production is perhaps a little bit more refined and less Pop on this one.

@Graeme
:heart:

5 Likes

15 Likes

1970 - Savoy Brown // Looking In
British Blues from Mr Simmonds and the boys…

13 Likes

Apparently tomorrow it’s the 25th anniversary of this “landmark” album and it’s being issued on vinyl for the first time, apparently - a new master too.

So I was sent a copy to review. Having just sat through it, I am completely at a loss as to the appeal of this lady: boring, bland and unimaginative covers of jazz and pop standards. Competently done, and beautifully recorded, but it’'s pretty tedious and actually quite offensive in its inoffensiveness. Along with Dire Straits, Melody Gardot and Diana Krall, the very epitome of hi-fi buff music, good for dems but not not actual enjoyment or emotional sustenance. I’m going to pass it on to someone who’ll appreciate it – me, I can’t stand it, it’s just terrible!

16 Likes

The Misfits - Walk Among Us.

3 Likes

Staying with Motown. Four Tops, Compilation. CD. Recordings sounding a bit old but amazing songs imho.

9 Likes

Stop sitting on the fence Kev, do you like this or not?

6 Likes

I’m undecided Nigel.

2 Likes

Anyway, after the trauma of Cassidy’s pureed musical slop, I need something with a bit more bite and spice – hopefully this CD I acquired today will do the job.

James Mainwaring is a saxophonist, composer and singer-songwriter based in Leeds.

James Mainwaring: saxophones, compositions, arrangements, lyrics, vocals, field recordings / granular synth, Fender Rhodes, piano, and flutes
Aby Vulliamy: viola, vocals
Michael Bardon: cello, double bass
Fergus Quill: double bass
Steve Hanley: drums
Chris Sharkey: electronics

1 Like

I once went out with a lady who was a promoter for the record company of EC. This was not long after her passing and to say that I was unimpressed with the dubious tapes and releases planned of material that EC had rejected, is an understatement. I suspect that a certain Miss Winehouse is similarly having her memory sullied.

2 Likes

This '80s cycle is still a good reference for Shostakovich’s Symphonies. If you don’t mind early digital recordings. And for a change these are CDs that are keeping a good value on the marketplace.

6 Likes

According to the sleeve note with the original CD iirc she wasnt particularly happy with her performance either due to a cold.

Maybe try her album with Chuck Brown :wink:

Btw if I’m not being too nosey, feel free to tell me to eff off, I’ve seen you mention getting review copies before and occasionally wondered which publications you write for?

:heart:

4 Likes

Now Playing…

Sean Rowe - The Darkness Dressed in Colored Lights

Sean Rowe (Vocals, Guitar), Shane Leonard (Drums, Percussion), Jeremy Boetcher (Bass), Ben Lester (Keyboards, Pedal Steel), Courtney Hartman (Vocals, Guitar), Chris Carey (Bass), John DeHaven (Brass Section), Jeff Nania (Brass Section), and Joel Yannuzzi (Brass Section).

Streaming on Qobuz (88.2/24)… kicking off this Thursday morning and taking Sean’s new album which was released on October 7th out for a spin. Which I have been enjoying and he and the band is sounding mighty sweet!

3 Likes

Snarky Puppy Ground Up / 2012 Art of Groove / German CD + DVD / MIG80162

4 Likes

Primal Scream - XTRMNTR.

6 Likes

so what’s the difference between this one and the 4xLP released a few years ago?

Oohhh….l’ll have to give that a whirl.

Thanks for the nod @seakayaker.

1 Like

David Bowie - Heroes. Released on the 14th October 1977! Playing here on an early UK pressing, but I also have an Italian pressing with a tan RCA label as well, and must get around to buying the recent remaster too - can never have too much Dame vinyl…

15 Likes