What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
The Studio Albums 1978-1991 cd box set

23 Likes

Hi @Dreadatthecontrols I am not a listener to Adele but I do watch some of Rick Beato’s videos as he seems a really nice guy and I find he provides good insight to the recording process and music. He recently did a great interview with Pat Metheny.

Here is his take on Adele’s latest release, in which I think he makes some very valid points whether you are a fan or not.

4 Likes

Very similar to a line on Prefab Sprout’s ‘I trawl the megahertz’:

Lord - you gave me nothing and then you took it all away

1 Like

Abba - Super Trouper.

5 Likes

Thanks, Geoff. I have bookmarked the PM interview for listening later.

1 Like

Ronny Jordan the quiet revolution / 1993 Island / France CD / CID80095182542

4 Likes

Miles Davis - ESP

Such a brilliant period from Miles’s career. Although I have the original, I’m actually playing the 65-68 Complete Columbia Studio Recordings set. This leaps around a bit across the albums from this quintet, but it actually flows really well. A brilliant period delivering some exceptionally beautiful music.

15 Likes

Do I detect a bit of sarcasm. :grin:

She does have a great voice and Mrs Pete is a bit of a fan.

1 Like

Seasick Steve - I Started Out With Nothin’ And I Still Got Most Of It Left (Bronzerat LP 2008)

Prompted by @NigelB

:heart:

19 Likes

Helloween especially KOTSK 1 & 2 are amongst some on my favourite metal bands.

Many of the LP’s I bought were purchased for the artwork even before I knew the band and their music.
I may be wrong, but Fantasy and Rock music (in all its various flavours) seem to go hand in hand when it comes to album art.
Rodney Mathews and his work with many bands especially Magnum is a particular favourite

2 Likes

Strawbs. Grave new world.
I was playing String driven thing and spotted this. Not played for a while. Prog with bit of sitar. Great combination.

13 Likes

Donna Summers, the dance collection. Can’t believe I feel love came out in 1977. It still sounds so amazing. :blush::notes:

8 Likes

Squeeze - Cool for Cats.

13 Likes

Home alone, volumes up, coffee’s on.

6 Likes

Broken Record podcast, Rick Rubin interviews Ringo Starr…

5 Likes

To be honest it was tongue in cheek, not sarcastic.
For me I do like her debut album, theres a certain naivety to it that I like, 21 is OK but then all that repetitive faux heartbreak songs and Diva’ism (dunno if that’s a proper word) became tiresome.
Mrs Dread similarly was quite a fan but thinks shes lost the quality in her voice since having an operation, not Adeles fault obviously but it’s how it is. To be fair we’ve not heard the new one yet, it doesn’t really interest me but will give it a hearing, you never know could end up being the best album I’ve ever heard!
Just my view, each to their own. Theres no doubt plenty here who cant stand all that orrible reggie music I play! :joy:

1 Like

Thanks Geoff not come across Rick Beato before will have a look later
Cheers
:heart:

1 Like

Nancy Sinatra, boots. :blush:

8 Likes

The Besnard Lakes - The Besnard Lakes Are The Last Of The Great Thunderstorm Warnings. I’ve played this album (released at the start of this year) a few times recently and it’s really grown on me. A Canadian band I’d never heard of before, but checking online it seems they’ve been around for quite some time.

2 Likes

Rick Beato also has a series of videos call What Makes This Song Great? which now has a 100+ different songs. As a musician, songwriter, audio engineer and record producer he knows his stuff!

Here is Steely Dan Kid Charlemagne.

9 Likes