What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks.

13 Likes

Steely Dan The Royal Scam / 2008 Geffen / Japan SHM CD / Paper Sleeve Edition / UICY93519

After re-watching that video I couldn’t resist…

14 Likes

Reb Fountain, iris. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Nick Lowe - Labour of Lust.

10 Likes

He’s right in that Adele appeals to all sorts of people, but one can only assume that most of those people are deaf, philistine or both. Adele may be hugely popular, and fawned over by middlebrow commentators, but the fact remains that her music is bloody awful: whiney, overly-emoted, tacky, samey and generally tuneless and dirgey.

I don’t know what I find most objectionable about Adele - is it her foghorn caterwauling? Her potty-mouth posing? The utter beigeness of her music?

It is terrible “music”, a bit like Coldplay on antidepressants. But we’re all going to have to put up with an awful lot of it for the next few months, as I believe she has a new album out soon, and there are plenty of people willing to shill for her.

10 Likes

I was obviously pulling my punches! :joy:

1 Like

Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell.

13 Likes

Donald Fagen - Sunken Condos

17 Likes

Why? She’s much better than Adele…

13 Likes

@TheKevster My post was to provide a balanced response to @Dreadatthecontrols using :roll_eyes: - and as stated, her work will never be on my playlists.

Sorry to hear that you don’t like her as much as Ese… (I think)!

1 Like

I like most people, and things, more than I like Adele, to be fair Geoff.

14 Likes

Bonnie Tyler - Faster Than the Speed of Night.

1 Like

I just think that attacking people who do like her is a bit of a ‘schoolboy error’, and if others get something out of her music then there is nothing wrong in that.

You have proven your fine taste in music numerous times, so no doubts in that here :+1:

1 Like

Jarrod Lawson Be The Change / 2020 Dome / US CD / DOMECD349

Back to the good stuff with this excellent soul/jazz recording from last year.

3 Likes

Paul Simon - Graceland

28 Likes

As long as it’s not Eva Cassidy :joy:

Just had a thought, when Uncle Sam was torturing terrorist suspects using isolation and sleep deprivation techniques like blasting them with deafening death metal, I reckon if they used Eva Cassidy or Adele instead suspects would have fessed up in a minute flat!

2 Likes

Another singer-songwriter who’s better than Adele:

14 Likes

Nothing wrong with a bit of honest, scurrilous, satirical humour to shake things up either in my view. Come on, let’s not take ourselves too seriously otherwise it all gets a bit dull and bland dont you think?
:heart:

1 Like

A-ha - Hunting High and Low.

6 Likes