What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Ooo-err missus, titter ye not….

4 Likes

Lady Blackbird | Black Acid Soul | 2021
Because she has the best new voice I have heard for a while and it’s one of my favourite albums of the year getting yet another airing.

22 Likes

Well said Steve.

2 Likes

16 Likes

Time for a spot of Mambo!

Cal Tjaders Modern Mambo Quintet - Mambo With Tjader (OJC Fantasy LP)

Mrs Dread’s joining me on the Leatherette Love Seat havent got any Martini, Stella and a Hophead :grin:

Mambo with Tjader Review

by Rovi Staff

Mambo with Tjader was one of vibraphonist and composer Cal Tjader’s first major recordings. Fascinated with the rhythms and atmospheres of Latin music, Tjader was one of the first musicians to successfully fuse South American musical styles with straight-ahead jazz. In retrospect, the lush, laid-back, vibes-heavy groove of Tjader’s inventions anticipates the “lounge” music of the '50s and '60s – offering the sort of soft, swinging soundtrack appropriate for the consumption of dry martinis on leatherette love seats.

But Mambo with Tjader is valuable for more than mere kitsch factor. Over the course of the album’s 12 tracks, a rich tapestry of tropical percussion works through three rhythmic models – the mambo, the cha-cha, and the bolero. Overlaid with jazz structures and Tjader’s easygoing vibes playing, this set is a tasty cross-section of early Tropicalia. While the disc lacks the hot salsa that would characterize El Sonido Nuevo or the large-scale orchestrations of the composer’s collaborations with Lalo Schifrin, Mambo with Tjader is a vintage exploration of the fusion of jazz and Latin music.

Nice!
:grin:

3 Likes

Always an enjoyable listen

11 Likes

517+CA8G3YL.AC_SX425

4 Likes

Antonio Forcione - Acoustic Revenge

No chance of letting this one just wash over me. Properly engaged now!

11 Likes

She is proving rather popular. I hear her next project is a collaboration with Adele…

1 Like

Because it’s been mentioned by many I thought I’d take a chance on this ‘blind’. Only £13 on the river. Absolutely loving it!

8 Likes

Still haven’t got a clue why the year misprint when the album was recorded and released in 72’ :thinking:

Pure Pleasure vinyl reissue. Radical stuff. Oh, and THAT voice.

7 Likes

The Bluetones - Expecting to Fly.

3 Likes

Oohhh…maybe we should let @TheKevster know!

1 Like

:thinking:

I thought you liked Adele!

Notting Hillbillies. Qobuz. Uniti Nova.

11 Likes

Not sure if he likes Lady Blackbird either?

Going back in time, right back

15 Likes

The stellar Byrds!

12 Likes