What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

2 Likes

It Isn’t Until It Is | 2021
Fink still on great form and another of my favourite albums this year, to my ear it seems to flow on quite naturally after Black Acid Soul

10 Likes

Elvis Presley, Golden Records Vol 1. Qobuz Mu-so Qb 2

9 Likes

Joining Kevster with a bit of organ flashing

The James Taylor Quartet - Get Organised

I’ve heard them variously labelled Mod Jazz, Soul Jazz, Acid Jazz, whatever it’s just good.

Fantastic group live too, I remember a few years or more ago seeing them at my local intimate Arts Centre. It was obvious from a large portion of the audience and the fact that the venue organisers had laid the place out with candlelit tables that they were expecting a more traditional “Jazz Quartet”.
I chuckled to Mrs Dread that someone has got the wrong idea here, there were puzzled looks to each other in the audience as JTQ launched into the first number, the tumbleweed blew around the tables, however JTQ soon had the old codgers (me included) on their feet, blowing the roof off the place with their own brand of “Acid” big band and Rock fused Jimmy Smith, Booker T influenced grooves…something else!

:heart:

2 Likes

If you haven’t sampled any of his other albums they are all very worth while all of a very high standard a really good artist. If you don’t know his previous work you can find him here, they are all excellent. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Not listened to her. I will get round to it at some point.

1 Like

My organ’s bigger than yours…

6 Likes

Now playing…

Lady Blackbird - Black Acid Soul

Lady Blackbird (Vocals), Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews (Trumpet), Jonathan Flaugher (Double Bass), Deron Johnson (Piano), Jimmy Paxson (Drums), Chris Seefried (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… opening up this Wednesday morning with Lady Blackbird’s ‘Black Acid Soul’ and the Lady with her talented band are sounding sublime! One sweet album…

21 Likes

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow, playing here on a minty 1970s RCA UK pressing, and sounding tremendous. Must try and get hold of a US copy with the different track listing (White Rabbit etc) - I do have that version on CD, but playing this on vinyl just feels so right!

16 Likes

Longpigs - The Sun Is Often Out.

2 Likes

Now repeat after me…

:heart:

4 Likes

8 Likes

1 Like

Cheers Steve, I sure will!

1 Like

25 Likes

Wham - Fantastic. Now sounds oh so very 80s, but George Michael’s songwriting ability evident on their debut. Still a fun listen though, and takes me right back to this record being played endlessly in the school common room.

4 Likes

The Lightning Seeds - Jollification.

9 Likes

I’ll see your Dr Lonnie and raise you a Big John P:

3 Likes

Now playing…

Boz Scaggs - Come on Home

Boz Scaggs (Guitar, Horn Arrangements, Vocals), Kitty Beethoven (Vocals), Anthony Blea (Violin), Ben Cauley (Trumpet), Otis Cooper (Vocals), Tom Coster (Accordion), Jim Cox (Hammond Organ, Piano), Ronnie Cuber (Horn, Horn Arrangements, Baritone Saxophone), Harry Duncan (Harmonica), Dave Ellis (Tenor Saxophone), Ricky Fataar (Drums, Percussion), Steve Freund (Guitar), Jack Hale (Trombone), Charles Hodges (Hammond Organ), James “Hutch” Hutchinson (Bass), Darryl Johnson (Bass), Jim Keltner (Drums), Vince Lars (Alto Saxophone), David Matthews (Hammond organ, Piano), Lonnie McMillan (Tenor Saxophone), James Mitchell (Baritone Saxophone), Willie Mitchell (Horn, Horn Arrangements), Bill Ortiz (Trumpet), Monte Owens (Vocals), Scott Plunkett (Hammond Organ, Piano), Brenda Rutledge (Trombone), Mark Scaggs (Percussion), Norbert Stachel (Horn, Horn Arrangements, Alto Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone), Rev. Ron Stallings (Tenor Saxophone), Fred Tackett (Guitar), Wayne Wallace (Trombone), “Ready” Freddie Washington (Bass) and Marty Wehner (Trombone|).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this morning with the Boz with a little blues and swing and he is sounding mighty sweet! Another very fine album from Boz!

17 Likes

According to Discogs it’s a French release. No idea how I got that. It must have been bought at my usual record shop in Strutton ground, Westminster.

It seems that the last one to sell on the 'Bay went for £115. :thinking:

1 Like