What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

On late 70’s vinyl:-

John Martyn - Sundays Child

11 Likes

Eric Clapton - Unplugged

20 Likes

Level 42 Level 42 / 2000 Polydor / Germany CD / 5438792

With the new film arriving it reminded me of the excellent Dune Tune so giving this a spin today!

6 Likes

16 Likes

Maurizo Pollini, Beethoven piano sonatas: op.106 hammerklavier op.111. Omg, I have this album and know this music but didn’t know what it’s called. Love it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

That album title is reminiscent of Vidna Obmana’s ambient releases

One of the best - a better cover shot and it would be up there for album of the year.

Shallow as I am I always judge a book by the cover and the album ‘art’ does her no favours for such a wonderful release.

1 Like

Maybe a bit early for this live performance of A Love Supreme but can’t wait. Superb playing by the expanded band really stretching out the pieces but not too much - as it should be, never the same twice. SQ seems pretty decent too Tidal streaming as my vinyl copy is winging its way from Presto.

Google Photos

12 Likes

10 Likes

Agreed,the cover is no indication of the musical content,a shame really,obviously such a talent.

Michael Franks Passionfruit / 1987 Warner / US CD / 9239622

There recently was a mention of the track Amazon from this on another thread which has prompted a spin of this today. That is one of my all time favourite Michael Franks songs along with When Sly Calls and the brilliantly crafted Rainy Night in Tokyo.

1 Like

If that’s what’s floating your boat today…

3 Likes

My Morning Jacket latest album streaming on Muso.

It’s really good I’m enjoying it.

3 Likes

Shelby Lynne, I can’t imagine. :relaxed:

10 Likes

Rumer - Live from Lafayette

11 Likes

I don’t think there’s any re issues tbh , just the full fat versions for Streaming. The Wall for example is the same 2011 remaster I’ve been listening to but now in 24/96 . After listening last night I feel that this particular album was really squeezed into 16/44 as much as I enjoyed it previously.

On CD:-

Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia Di Un Minuto

4 Likes

16 x LP - Phillips 1969 : /

<<>>

playing Symphony no.3 in D minor

Jo Juda - violin
Klaas Kos - cornet
Hans Maassen - trombone

Women’s Chorus of the Netherlands
Boys’ Chorus of St. Willibrord’s Church
Chorus Master - Toon Vranken

Orchestre du Concertgebouw d’Amsterdam

Conductor - Bernard Haitink ( R.I.P. )

Bernard Haitink 1929 - 2021

7 Likes

Sad news of a very well respected man.

1 Like

Martin Taylor - The Spirit Of Django (Linn LP 1994)

Been hopelessly trying to have a sort out of records that have gradually collected around the room and need filing.

Came across this Linn LP, not listened to in quite a while, Martin Taylor as it says on the tin envoking the spirit of Django Reinhardt, superb playing and sound.

Spirit of Django Review

by Alex Henderson

In the 1990s, jazz tribute albums could be incredibly predictable, with young tenor saxophonists paying tribute to John Coltrane by emulating his tone and playing his best-known songs exactly like he played them, or young trumpeters saluting Miles Davis by trying to sound like a carbon copy of him on yet another version of “So What” or “Solar.” Spirit of Django is Martin Taylor’s tribute to fellow guitarist Django Reinhardt, and thankfully, this is one tribute album that’s interesting and unpredictable instead of cliché-ridden. Though Taylor’s love of Reinhardt’s legacy is evident throughout the album, the guitarist never sounds like an outright clone. His individuality comes through on Reinhardt pieces (including “Nuages” and “Minor Swing”), as well as Fats Waller’s “Honeysuckle Rose” and the standards “Night and Day” and “Lady Be Good.” To his credit, Taylor makes some unlikely choices. Pat Metheny’s “James,” for example, isn’t something you’d expect to hear on a Reinhardt tribute, yet Taylor’s interpretation fits in perfectly. This excellent CD is highly recommended to admirers of both Taylor and Reinhardt.

:heart:

11 Likes