What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Shelby Lynne, restless. Promise next one will be something else. It just sounds so good. :relieved:

7 Likes

Kings Of Convenience Quiet Is The New Loud / 2001 Source / EU CD / 724352907229

5 Likes

Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

Released in 1975, but this is the first time I’ve ever listened to it! Better late than never, I suppose.

6 Likes

Junior Murvin - Bad Man Posse ( Dread At The Controls DATC LP)

Superb album from Junior Murvin ( Police & Thieves) produced by Mikey Dread. Lyrically still very relevant with its warning to youths and gang culture - you have the bad man posse, you have the good man possee, you have the rootsman posse, you have the rastaman posse, which one you want to be in son, make your choice, so many lost their lives innocently, due to the wrong possee…
Recorded at Aquarius Studio in JA with the brilliant Roots Radics band, presented Dub Plate style (vocal followed by dub) in the uniquely idiosyncratic sonic signature of DATC.

A note on the sleeve edited at John Hassell Studios Barnes reminds of one of Reggae’s many seemingly unlikely stories.
The elderly John Hassell and his wife who had a lacquer cutting suite in the front room of a terraced house in Barnes and who became the place to go for many legendary Sound System operators including Dennis Bovell and Lloyd Coxsone to get their Dub Plates cut (see link below)

:heart:

6 Likes

Progtastic and a fine close dry recording.

G

7 Likes

Casiopea Live / 2002 Village / Japan CD / VRCL2234

1 Like

On vinyl… :notes: :+1:t3: :sunglasses:

1 Like

On mid 70’s vinyl:-

51SUWsbmnHL._AC_1

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin 1

23 Likes

Angel Olsen - Aisles

4 Likes

On vinyl… :+1:t3: :notes: :grin:

12 Likes

Primal Scream - Demodelica.

First listen to this one.

Demoes and ramblings along the way to Screamadelica, it gives an insight into the way things developed into a classic album.

If you’re a fan of 51MqVMoJoyL.AC then this one is a must have.

5 Likes

The Beatles - Let It Be
Disc 1

19 Likes

Such a great band.

G

12 Likes

Mikey Dread - World War III (DATC LP 1980)

Mikey Dread made so many great records (as an artist, dub mixer and producer of other artists) all with his own distinctive sonic signature ( up until S.W.A.L.K after which he went a bit off the boil), I have most of them but WWW III has to be his magnum opus, recorded around the time he was collaborating with The Clash and came out iirc the same year as Sandinista, Mikey pays special thanks to them and Mickey Gallagher on the sleeve.
It sounded like nothing else at the time and still does, WWW III is quite symphonic in how it plays as a complete album and concept with original purpose built backing from The Roots Radics Band.
The first time I ever heard the album, I and some friends had indulged in some particularly potent “temple balls”, it blew me away and also completely freaked me out.
The bonkers tape rewind at the start of the album, cranked up to speaker busting volume was always guaranteed to turn heads at a party…wtf was that!
Break Down The Walls is still fantastically relevant in post B word britain, Trump, racism etc
No more racial struggles, no more cultural war, coz only a cultural revolution can prove what we are fighting for Mikey toasts on World War III

Brilliant dub, strong messages but above all it’s just a great album and probably would have to be one of my desert island selections.

Dread At The Controls - Master Showcase (DATC LP 1980)

Brilliant companion to the above
8 versions and remixes of the bonkers Jumping Master riddim…

ok take it forward from the top…cuz this one is the originaaaal styyyyle!

So sadly Mikey succumbed to a Brain Tumour in the late 2000’s
:heart:

5 Likes

17 Likes

Santana - Blessings and Miracles

9 Likes

Sounding delicious in 24bit.

G

19 Likes

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia, on Tonefloat vinyl… :notes: :+1:t3: :grin:

12 Likes

Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin III / 2003 Atlantic / Japan CD / Paper Sleeve Edition / WPCR11613

The greatest thing you ever can do, now
Is trade a smile with someone who’s blue now

21 Likes

6 Likes