What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

A joyous Jorge Ben compilation, Samba Nova.

2 Likes

More Blues on internet radio …
Houston Blues Radio (Houston, USA)
Streaming URL https://streaming.live365.com/b76353_128mp3
The station is a cooperative effort between Aardvark Blues FM (station I played yesterday) and The Houston Blues Society. Good SQ.

4 Likes

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature

22 Likes

The original Tigerlily album was a work of art in my opinion. Paradise Is Here is a reworking of these great songs, still ofcourse with Natalie’s beautiful voice.
Beloved Wife is unreal.

18 Likes

The NDR Orchestra published a Maria Callas recital 1959 in Youtube: NDR Sinfonieorchester: Maria Callas singt Rossini und Verdi | NDR - YouTube . Absolutely fantastic.

1 Like

There’s A Riot Goin’ On - Sly & The Family Stone.

Every time I play this I feel like a veil is being lifted and a mist is descending at one and the same time.
I love the weird blend of lightness of touch applied with such a dark sense of foreboding.
I hear the seeds of King Of Limbs (and many other records here) embedded in these palimpsest grooves.

10 Likes

Simply Red - Simplified

11 Likes

Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 94 “Surprise”
Luigi Boccherini: Ouverture from Anacréon
Franz Schubert: Symphony No. 8 “Unfinished”
Franz Liszt: Les Préludes

Wiener Philharmoniker, Wilhelm Furtwängler. Part of a 21-CD EMI Classics box set, “Wilhelm Furtwängler - The Great EMI Recordings”.

Furtwängler is one of the best conductors of the XXth Century, and this CD collection comprises some of his most famous recordings - Schubert’s 8th and Haydn’s 94th are on the CD I’m listening to this morning. The Finale of Haydn’s 94th is lively full of optimism, and the timing and rhythm of the Wiener Philharmoniker, impressive.

Sound quality is remarkable for a 1951 recording.

Furtwangler - The Great EMI Recordings

Claude

4 Likes

Still working my way through recovered albums.
This one, why did I not listen to it more?
Why should anyone else? Definitely an antidote for the dull, grey day outside. Bright, sunny music.
A reminder of how much music we listen to owes to African instruments and traditions.
On the South Side (aka B side), I asked dearly beloved what she thought, track one took a
little while, connections to Graceland. Track two, half a dozen notes “Death In Paradise”
Hugh Masekela- Techno Bush

5 Likes

Kingsway Hall, London
May 1962
CD on Warner/EMI

9 Likes

Really enjoying this. A very good soul album

Atb
Kk

3 Likes

Lisa Simone - All Is Well

10 Likes

Some lovely playing on this.

2 Likes

American Epic. Beautifully presented 5cd set of original blues. Disc 1 covers the South east.
There is also a documentary where Jack White recreates the original recording techniques with modern artists and there is a 2cd. version of that as well as a book. Impressive project.

11 Likes

Just trumpet and piano, but enough to make it entertaining…

6 Likes

Listening to this while doing my end of day email sorting. Brilliant live album, classic Warner Bros. high quality sound and pressing. Bought 2nd hand a few years back for nothing at all.

16 Likes

Back to the NAS/local server …
Rory Block - Ain’t I A Woman (1992)

4 Likes

Steve Earle, El Corazon. First time on vinyl. Originally released on cd in 1997.

12 Likes

Leftfield | Leftism | 1995
I wanted to give this minor classic an airing, good electronic, dub and dance stuff.

17 Likes

I have just purchased digital hi res downloads directly from their website. They also sell vinyl. Thought you might be interested.