What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Sophie Hutchings, echoes in the valley. Thank you @seakayaker. Very tranquil very beautiful. Really like the names of the tunes, too. Gives a guide to the picture each track paints. :relaxed:

4 Likes

Mahler symphony no. 2 ‘resurrection’
Otto Klemperer. Great recordings of the century

7 Likes

Recently discovered band.
This album is particularly lovely.
@davidng we seem to like similar music, particularly female vocalists, Birdy and Natalie Merchant for example.
You may like this.

4 Likes

Black Peaches,Fire In The Hole,fabulous musicianship.

Now playing

Amy Speace with The Orphan Brigade - There Used To Be Horses Here

Amy Speace (Vocals), Dean Marold (Bass), Paul Nelson (Cello), Kirstin Wilkinson (Viola), Johnny Duke (Electric Guitar), David Angell (Violin), David Davidson (Violin), Garrison Starr (Vocals), Ben Glover (Vocals, Acoustic Guitar), Neilson Hubbard (Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Drums, Percussion), Josh Britt (Vocals, Mandolin, Mandola), Danny Mitchell (Strings, Piano, Horn), and Will Kimbrough (Guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on through the noon hour with Amy Speace and The Orphan Brigade and they are sounding sublime! …one sweet album…

4 Likes

Azam Ali - Phantoms
Thanks for the reminder, @SneakyPete

1 Like

Katie Melua - 2019 Live in Concert

Because following this thread is always worthwhile.

7 Likes

Mark Knopfler, Golden Heart. Qobuz. Mu-So Qb 2.

19 Likes

Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark

6 Likes

51y1QazSL+L.SS500
Sting - 57th & 9th.

9 Likes

Hem, departure and farewell. Thank you so much for this @Neilb1906! Usually I usually do a bit of morning chores while listening to music. Not this one. Chewing over the lyrics and soaked in the strings instruments and harmony. Feels a little tender thinking about the someone I know whom I only recently learnt has left.

Really intrigued by the description of the album talking about this being their first album after seven years and the band had a tumultuous time. “Certain relations were strained to the breaking point and a period of separation was necessary. Thankfully, time… heal wounds.” Qobuz doesn’t let me copy and paste link here for everyone, sorry.

Not finished yet. I am on track 12 - Last Call but expect the last song to be consistently beautiful - So long. :relaxed:

Edit: Liking this so much, I am playing it again as I catch up on chores and forum posts.

5 Likes

Phil Woods - Musique du Bois

Just playing Steely Dan’s Katy Lied and noticed that Phil Woods contributed sax.

For me this is his best album with the knock out track - The Last Page.

2 Likes

It’s been a while since opera singer Elizabeth Zharoff aka The Charismatic Voice has done one of her brilliant analyses of a Nightwish song.

She returns to them with Romanticide from the 2013 Wacken Set.

Unlike a lot of ‘reactors’ Elizabeth is a woman who CAN sing and I (and others @davidng ) find her in depth insights into how the vocalist(s) / composer / musicians are doing their jobs fascinating.

A new way for @Alley_Cat and @IanRobertM to enjoy Nightwish / Floor?

2 Likes

Now playing…

Natalie Merchant - Paradise is There: The New Tigerlily Recordings

Natalie Merchant (Vocals), Jesse Murphy (Acoustic Bass, Electric Bass), Gabriel Gordon (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Vocals), Stanley Moore (Cello), Allison Miller (Drums, Percussion), Uri Sharlin (Piano, Accordion), Sharel Cassity (Tenor Saxophone), Marandi Hostetter (Viola) and Scot Moore (Violin).

Streaming on Qobuz (48/24)… continuing on this afternoon with Natalie and the talented & fabulous group of musicians she has assembled to accompany her and they are sounding mighty sweet! Such a wonderful album, love it…

20 Likes

I still can’t stop telling others about her. Was at an opera shoot on the weekend and was telling some why they move their arms the way they do, expression, etc to help with holding or reaching notes. :joy:

1 Like

David Bromberg - Demon in Disguise

6 Likes

After a conversation on another thread decided to give Edenbridge a go today whilst continuing my current building project.

Edenbridge - The Great Momentum

I also tried

Edenbridge - The Chronicles of Eden Part 2

Both pleasing to the ear and worth following up st some point.

3 Likes

Norah Jones - Feels Like Home.

24 Likes

Regarding Terry Reid well worth checking out the albums The River & Seed Of Memory.

2 Likes

Haven’t played this for awhile, Dylan Roughand Rowdy Ways.

And a pinch and a punch for the first of the month, just think only 24 shopping days till Christmas.

20 Likes