What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Yes Dave. I was surprised when I first heard it last year but it’s one that I keep returning to. Reminds me of John Fahey. Belter indeed

This from the official blurb over on Amazon:

“As a child, before Ben Harper was even playing music, he sat at the feet of folk luminaries like Rev Gary Davis, John Fahey, Ry Cooder and others in his grandparents Folk Music Center in Claremont, CA, soaking up their influence and passion for pure guitar music.”

Yes, indeed. :+1:

1 Like

One of my fave livew albums:

11 Likes

Carmen Gomes Inc. - Up Jumped the Devil.

Moving seamlessly into this album from the Ben Harper one above, this is an intimate, slightly jazzy, beautifully recorded, take on the songs of Robert Johnson.

Available from Bandcamp, and yes, another belter!

5 Likes

Being played on fairly heavy rotation on 6Music at moment but deservedly so. ‘Love and hate in a different time’ by Gabriels

4 Likes

On CD:-

Al Di Meola - Land of the Midnight Sun

7 Likes

The Rolling Stones -Emotional Rescue, yes, it’s rather spotty in places, but still a couple of decent tracks eg " Dance ".

8 Likes

Listening now, not bad at all.

1 Like

Two great jazz musicians playing together on this superb album.

6 Likes

Johannes Brahms - The Complete Sonatas for Piano and Violin / Viola. Elisabeth Westenholz, piano; Nils-Erik Sparf, violin / viola. BIS original DMM double LP (1982).

Johannes Brahms to start the day with an old but still excellent version of Brahms’ sonatas for violin and viola.

I purchased that album in 1983 after reading a review in Hi-Fi Answers in which John Michael Hughes praised both the strong and direct interpretation and the sound quality, adding that “if this fine set isn’t my chamber music pick of the year I’ll be very surprised.” I don’t know it it was, but I do know that it’s one of the best records in my collection.

The BIS DMM pressing sounds immaculate to this day. There’s copies available at Discogs for 18 euros or so.

Claude

9 Likes
4 Likes

14 Likes

Great new trio

2 Likes

A new acquisition – great performance, and a wonderful story behind this album.

14 Likes

I could be arguing in my spare time!
:grin:

1 Like

SACD on Reference Recordings

4 Likes

Recordings by a 19 y old lad from my home town. Not bad at all. Sounding better than some of Hans Zimmers earlier works.

Inspired by ‘in search of space’ post on the ‘71 topic, releasing my inner space cadet while swmbo is away. First band i saw live.

10 Likes

Tenor Sax player Zoot Sims, In a Sentimental Mood, about as mellow as it comes. Qobuz 44/16

5 Likes

Having enjoyed Strong Persuader. I thought I’d randomly dip into his other albums.

Liking this one as well methinks a more extensive investigation of Robert Cray coming soon.

Robert Cray - Nothin’ But Love

12 Likes