What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

On CD:-

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Barn

12 Likes

Emily Remler - This Is Me

Emily’s last album, released posthumously. Very different to her earlier releases, which were predominantly bebop influenced (esp. Wes). I really like this album, which has a more contemporary flavour. Tremendous sound too.

2 Likes

No Dice. Debut Album ( I think). 1977 Vinyl.

Saw them live , I think, supporting Tom Robinson, at Malvern Winter Gardens. I thought they were a great Bluesy Rock Band.

unnamed (2)

5 Likes

My fave digital version of Wish You Were – the Acoustic Sounds SACD. Playing the stereo SACD layer via the analogue outputs of the trusty Oppo 205. My god, Gilmour’s guitar playing on this album is just brilliant – outside of Hendrix, nobody can touch him, especially for sheer feel. The synths ain’t too shabby either.

28 Likes

Now playing…

Enrico Rava - Edizione Speciale

Enrico Rava (Trumpet & Flugelhorn), Francesco Bearzatti (Tenor Saxophone), Francesco Diodati (Guitar), Giovanni Guidi (Piano), Gabriele Evangelista (Double Bass) and Enrico Morello (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (48/24)… lifting off this morning with Enrico’s ‘Endizione Speciale’ released this past October and he and his sextet is sounding sweet!

6 Likes

Hadn’t heard of this, will give it a listen, cheers.

2 Likes

Jazz Soul Seven Impressions of Curtis Mayfield / 2012 BFM / US CD / 3020624132

Excellent CD featuring instrumental versions of songs by Curtis Mayfield.

Russell Ferrante Piano
Bob Hurst Bass
Phil Upchurch Guitar
Master Henry Gibson Percussion
Ernie Watts Saxophone
Wallace Roney Trumpet
Terri Lyne Carrington Drums

2 Likes

LP - Columbia / Sony Music 2014 reissue : )

Angus Young – lead guitar
Malcolm Young – rhythm guitar, backing vocals
Brian Johnson – lead vocals
Cliff Williams – bass guitar, backing vocals
Phil Rudd – drums, percussion

Recorded at Studios: Record Plant, New York City & Ocean Way, Los Angeles 1994/95

<<>>

13 Likes

From the Vinyl Box Set #5 (compiled by Femi Kuti and Chris Martin), this classic from 1989.

10 Likes

I was going to say no not that Chris Martin but apparently it is - wonders will never cease.

1 Like

According to the book that comes with the box set, Eno, a big Fela fan and producer of one of Coldplay’s albums at the time, introduced the boys to Fela – and they fell in love wih his music. Sadly, it seems that the Afrobat titan’s influence has yet to percolatre into Coldplay’s music.

3 Likes

Marconi Union are a relatively new band on me but quite liking them. Listening to their latest album and waiting for the vinyl on Christmas Eve I believe.

Signals.

1 Like

1 Like

Two wonderful albums both recorded at the same set of sessions.

1 Like

Kate Rusby. Holly Head.
Lovely

10 Likes

This – Elvis At Stax – is my absolute favourite of all the Presley box sets. Disc 1, which is the one I’m listening to right now, funks so goddamn hard in places, George Clinton himself would be proud.

9 Likes

My own view: there’s one amazing song, Welcome Home, and so much of the rest is just quite familiar but ever so dull.

Tried it three or four times in full but only drawn to the 8min song above.

2 Likes

Not a bad tune all things considered

12 Likes

7 Likes

Sara K. Made in the shade. A nice soft start to a Wednesday morning down under. :relaxed:

2 Likes