What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Edgar Broughton Band - Speak Down The Wires: The Recordings 1975-1982
A great reminder of seeing and being completely deafened by the band at the Croydon Greyhound in the ‘70’s, every time they played there.

6 Likes

Free - Highway.

11 Likes

Remember getting his autograph when they played at Dudley zoo 1970 or 71 . No I’m not joking .

1 Like

George Harrison. All things must pass.
Alphabetically chosen music motivation on the iPod.

12 Likes

I’v enever heard that recording - Hantaï and Savall must be quite a pairing. Enjoy!

Claude

Edited: Album ordered.

1 Like

Martin Gore’s latest album, sounds superb :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Mary Black - Without The Fanfare

12 Likes

What a super recommendation, Phil. Very enjoyable.

1 Like

Johannes Brahms, Violin Concerto. Vadim Repin, violin. Gewandhausorchester, Riccardo Chailly. DGG CD.

Poor Recording Spoils Everything.

I bought that CD after reading several enthusiastic reviews from sources I trust and for some reason it never became a favourite, I just never return to it. Paying more attention this morning I found out why - the sound is so flat and lacking in dynamism that there is no life whatsoever coming out of that album.

Very bad case of great musicianship and interpretation destroyed by poor sound quality. I suspect the recording was a SACD with CD as an afterthought. At any rate DGG at their worst.

I’ll return to Heifetz, Hahn or Ibragimova for the Brahms.

VadimRepinJohannesBrahms45577_f

Claude

2 Likes

Ronnie Wood - Slide On This.

8 Likes

Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

5 Likes

@Charles64
Finally got around to checking your recommendation for Madlib.
Searching Tidal I got Madvillain, after a couple of tracks had me reaching for the Mute button.
Then I found this…
Only a couple of tracks in but sounding good. Being a big JA music fan, interesting to hear the Dennis Alcapone samples on Theme De Crabtree

Madlib – Sound Ancestors

December 14, 2020

VINYL: MADLIB – SOUND ANCESTORS

Music by Madlib. Edited, Arranged and Mastered by Kieran Hebden.

Kieren Hebden AKA Four Tet:

A few months ago I completed work on an album with my friend Madlib that we’d been making for the last few years. He is always making loads of music in all sorts of styles and I was listening to some of his new beats and studio sessions when I had the idea that it would be great to hear some of these ideas made into a Madlib solo album. Not made into beats for vocalists to use but instead arranged into tracks that could all flow together in an album designed to be listened to start to finish. I put this concept to him when we were hanging out eating some nice food one day and we decided to work on this together with him sending me tracks, loops, ideas and experiments that I would arrange, edit, manipulate and combine. I was sent hundreds of pieces of music over a couple of years stretch and during that time I put together this album with all the parts that fitted with my vision.

Eothan Alapatt worked with us on the whole project guiding and advising and has now prepared the album for release. He’s had Bernie Grundman cut the vinyl and everything is in production and will be ready soon.

:heart:

1 Like

Great 2004 album from the Grand Slambovians .

1 Like

14 Likes

Hi Dread,

Yes, it’s the new one - I’m awaiting the vinyl in March - so I’ve also been streaming it. It’s a collaboration with Four Tet, who Madlib’s successfully worked with before, and I’d say it’s very good indeed.

As you say, there’s loads of interesting samples in there. I’m indebted to your deeper knowledge for the exact reference points here.

As for the Madvillainy stuff, yes, I can see how it’s a different kind of thing, much more hip hop/rap based.

I really think Madlib succeeds in leaping out of his defined genre and into that place (crossover?) where some truly great artists manage to reside.
Off the top of my head: Prince, Bobs Marley & Dylan, Miles Davis let’s say. . . where the genre they are most associated with isn’t a barrier to wide spread acceptance and appreciation.

Sound Ancestors has, to me, the potential, to take Madlib even further onto that hallowed ground.

1 Like

Prince - Musicology, certainly not his best, but some good music to be heard.

9 Likes

Ellie Brooks - The Very Best Of - WAV CD rip
I’ve had Pearl’s A singer as an ear worm for a couples of days, so playing this to get it over with. She’s a really fine interpreter of a song, jazz and blues inflections work really well, her hits and some pop/rock standards, all sung with power and passion. I’d only really expected to play the first few tracks, but it’s so good I played the whole album.

7 Likes

Bob Dylan. The basement tapes. Playing first disc of 6.

12 Likes

@Charles64
I have heard of 4Tet before on Giles Peterson I think but not really checked him out, I seem to recall hearing some fine music he produced with a female vocalist way back but my memory is likely to be foggy.
I already have Blue Note Revisited in my collection, never been too keen on that, didnt know that was Madlib. But I am enjoying this one
Madlib_ShadesOfBlue-500x500
And of course, as your by now probably aware of my love of JA music, I’m bound to check out Blunted In The Bomb Shelter mentioned in this bio from Blue Note records;
From the unlikely location of Oxnard, a beach town 40 miles north of Los Angeles, the multi-dimensional Madlib quickly rose to prominence as one of the most interesting figures in late-’90s hip-hop. With his childhood buddies in Lootpack, Madlib quickly made a name for himself as a rapper, producer, and DJ. In particular, his expansive style and deft touch for composition made him one of hip-hop’s most sought-after producers. An enthusiastic crate-digger with a deep reverence for jazz and soul, Madlib branched out into a number of ambitious, engaging solo projects. Along with DJ Romes and Wildchild, Madlib formed Lootpack in their hometown of Oxnard. The trio made its debut on Tha Alkaholiks’ 21 & Over in 1993. They continued doing work for Tha Alkaholiks and other artists before releasing their full-length Soundpieces: Da Antidote! six years later. The album earned solid reviews but went largely unnoticed. Madlib did not, however. After hooking up with Los Angeles DJ Peanut Butter Wolf, Madlib did a lot of production for Wolf’s Stones Throw label. In 1999 the label released Quasimoto’s astonishing The Unseen LP. Doubling as himself and his alter ego Quasimoto, Madlib handled vocals and production duties on the album, a huge critical success. Not resting on his laurels, Madlib followed The Unseen a year later with his Yesterdays New Quintet project. Madlib played all the instruments himself, infusing his exploration of jazz with both style and substance.

Another stylistic detour followed in late 2002, when he released Blunted in the Bomb Shelter Mix, a spin through the vaults of the classic dub/reggae label Trojan. While continuing on with a massive release schedule and workload, Madlib completed a remix/reinterpretation project for Blue Note, a collaboration with Jay Dee under the Jaylib alias, a collaboration with MF Doom, half the production of fellow Lootpack member Wildchild’s solo record, and many other remix and producer tasks — all in 2003. Never one to slow down, the next few years brought myriad new releases, including The Funky Side of Life from jazz band Sound Directions; Quasimoto’s The Further Adventures of Lord Quas; his own Beat Konducta, Vol. 1-2; and a collaboration with Talib Kweli, Liberation, which was made available as a free download on the Stones Throw website during the first week of 2007. The Bollywood-flavored Beat Konducta, Vol. 3-4: India would follow that same year with the Dilla tribute Beat Konducta, Vol. 5-6 following in 2009. At the beginning of 2010, Medicine Show No. 1: Before the Verdict kicked off what was planned to be a monthly 12-volume series. With only a few delays, the series wrapped up in 2012. ~ Martin Woodside
:heart:

3 Likes

Captive audience?

1 Like