CD on SoulNote

Steve Lacy - soprano sax
Steve Potts - alto & soprano sax
Irene Aebi - vocals, violin
Bobby Few - piano
Jean-Jacques Avenel - bass
Oliver Johnson - drums

2 Likes

One I’ve not listened to for a while,never off the t/t on its release.

10 Likes

Back in the day

3 Likes

On CD:-

Sam Cooke - Portrait of a Legend 1951 - 1964

17 Likes

Having had her Greatest Hits on vinyl years ago, I took a punt on:
image.

Only £15 from Amazon, good recordings, all her well known hits and some very good lesser known songs. Playing ‘Pearls’ as I type!

10 Likes

Sounding fresh and beautiful through my Mezzes.
His other albums are great too.

Thanks Timmo, to Amazon I go. The 5 Classic albums sets are really good in my experience.

1 Like

Sarah Jarosz - Build Me Up From Bones

7 Likes

Rostropovich - Shostakovich Symphony No. 14 - WAV CD rip
Thanks to @Clive and @PaulD for mentioning this box set, a bargain. Heartfelt performance of the 14th, Slava gets the orchestra to bring out the emotion of this doom-laden work, the soloists including Vishnevskaya dig deep.

6 Likes

John Lee Hooker. The healer. Not played this in ages. Wonderful late period blues from John and guests.

28 Likes

Probably getting myself mixed up, trying to think of the female vocalist brought me to Emilia Martensson with Kairos 4tet, I’m guessing this is a different “4tet”?
20210201_165715
:heart:

Yet another intriguing suggestion from the forum…

Unfortunately Hybris not available in Qobuz

Really enjoying this one, shades of Genesis ELP and Trans Siberian Orchestra

Änglagård - Buried Alive

2 Likes

2010 - Goldfrapp / Head First

20 Likes

Steve Winwood - Greatest Hits Live, superbly recorded for a live affair from different venues.

17 Likes

Yes, I think so. Although they look really interesting.

The associate of Madlib is Keiran Hebden who has made many albums under his own and other aliases, notably Four Tet. They are broadly speaking electronic in nature and cover differing styles within that genre. He’s also an inventive remixer and producer (Thom Yorke, Burial, Madlib et al).

Madlib’s Beat Konducta series you refer to in your earlier post is another worthwhile journey into sound worth exploring. He travels around the world of music and conjures up some amazing blends, hybrids & creations.

I enjoy your posts about lesser known (to me) reggae and associated styles. It’s all really interesting. Always good to go deeper into a field via somebody else’s more knowledgable choices.

Likewise Charles
Cheers
:heart:

Warpaint - Heads Up

3 Likes

Neu! 75 on vinyl. Their magnum opus.

9 Likes

Renaissance, after the days of Yardbird Keith Relf.

This album Ashes are Burning includes the great bass playing of Jon Camp and keyboards of John Tout with the unmistakable Annie Haslam (and not forgetting the brilliant Betty Thatcher).

Andy Powell of Wishbone contributed some great guitar work to the title track.

14 Likes