What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Following on from a few posts Celeste Not Your Muse.

11 Likes

Now playing…

Dan Penn - Do Right Man

Dan Penn (Guitar, 12 String Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), Ava Aldridge (Vocals), David Briggs (ElectricPiano, Wurlitzer), Buzz Cason (Vocals), Bobby Emmons (Organ, Hammond Organ, Piano), Florence Flash (Drums, Finger Cymbals, Maracas, Triangle, Wood Block), Roger Hawkins (Bongos, Drums, Tambourine), David Hood (Bass), Wayne Jackson (Trumpet), Jimmy Johnson (Guitar, Electric Guitar), Lenny LeBlanc (Vocals), Delbert McClinton (Harmonica), Doug Moffet (Flute, Horn, Baritone Saxophone), Doug Moffett (Flute, Baritone Saxophone), Gary Nicholson (Guitar, Resonator Guitar), Spooner Oldham (Glockenspiel, Mellotron, Organ, Hammond Organ, Piano, Wurlitzer), Cindy Richardson (Vocals), Charles Rose (Trombone), George Soulé (Vocals), Harvey Thompson (Tenor Saxophone), Cindy Richardson Walker (Vocals), Carson Whitsett (Electric Piano, Wurlitzer and Reggie Young (Guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this afternoon with this very fine album from Dan Penn and he and the band are sounding sublime! One very fine album…

11 Likes

Now playing…

Stephan Micus - Listen to the Rain

Stephan Micus (Steel String Guitar, Suling, Tamboura, Spanish Guitar, Shakuhachi, Dilrubas, Spanish Guitars).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… moving towards the end of the day and reaching out and taking this album released thirty-eight years in 1993 from Stephan and he is sounding mighty fine! As the rain beats against the window and the sound of cars smashing puddles in the street the album fits the time, place and mood…

3 Likes

12 Likes

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

I know everyone posts this, but it is a damn fine record after all. I haven’t played it for way too long, but thought about it yesterday after catching up with Toyah and Robert’s Sunday Lunch. I then had it on my mind during all the awake moments of last night. Now playing at concert type volumes. What an absolute masterpiece!

24 Likes

Änglagård, Viljans Öga, bandcamp

This was released after their 20 year break up.
Progarchives gives it 4.25/5 which is a quite good score where is gets some excellent reviews.

2 Likes

A nice bit of 17th century viol music to start the day.

6 Likes

Jon and Vangelis. The friends of Mr. Cairo.
I bought this on original vinyl and later on cd and neither had decent sq. So third time lucky with this remastered cd. Some improvement.

11 Likes

Brave man searching on the title on the album cover! The full title is: Sex: too fast to live too young too die.
It’s a really interesting back story- the tracks are ones that were on the jukebox in Vivienne Westwood’s and Malcom mcLaren’s shop on the kings road in the 70’s

2 Likes

Bonny Light Horseman. The first album I bought as a direct recommendation from this thread.
Then it’s time for some shovelling. :snowman:

11 Likes

David Live

16 Likes

This should keep me busy for a couple of hours

Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends, Ladies And Gentlemen, Emerson Lake & Palmer.

11 Likes

Now playing-

5 6

3 Likes

@TheKevster
I would recommend starting with The Savoy and Dial Recordings.

Putting Charlie Parker in context with contemporarys of the era, try checking out this 4CD Properbox
R-4261333-1360582781-2213.jpeg

For later period I really enjoy Nows The Time on Verve.
R-8208239-1457178270-5497.jpeg

I’m no expert on Ornithology though
:+1:

4 Likes

I bought The Return based on hype and reviews, didnt get it at all, rather derivative, just left me wondering what all the fuss was about really :joy:

King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon

I followed the Court with this, their second album and I’m now playing Lizard. Neither, of course, come close to the first album, but they’re fine albums all the same.

9 Likes

Ronnie Baker Brooks - Times Have Changed
Southern soul, smooth funk and blues. One of my most played albums.

7 Likes

Deep Purple

Purpendicular

Edward

5 Likes

Prompted by discussion on The Jazz Thread.
Abdullah Ibrahim & Ekaya

Abdullah Ibrahim & Ekaya: Sotho Blue

MAY 1, 2011

BYMICHAEL J. WEST

Considering that South African pianist/composer Abdullah Ibrahim founded his Ekaya ensemble as an anti-apartheid vehicle, Sotho Blue-a straight-ahead re-examination of Ibrahim’s older pieces in a post-apartheid context-is long overdue. Twenty years after the segregation ended, the album’s dominant moods are still relief and quiet happiness. It’s a triumph, one of the best works of Ibrahim’s career.

There are no fast or loud tunes; joy and hope are carefully contained, perhaps the most glaring difference from the fiery protestations of yore. The focus is on slow ballads and low-key arrangements like the solo piano “Abide,” Ibrahim playing with a gospel touch and unmistakable sense of valedictory, and the sweet, happy “The Wedding,” with alto saxophonist Cleave Guyton leading a four-part horn arrangement (Keith Loftis on tenor, Jason Marshall on baritone, Andrae Murchison on trombone) that maintains the lightness of a bride’s steps down the aisle. Subdued performances do not beget subdued emotions, however: The beautiful “Nisa,” which Ibrahim gives an Ellingtonian orchestration, carries in its gentle horn riffs and high, delicate piano line yesterday’s tears, today’s bliss and tomorrow’s hope.

https://jazztimes.com/reviews/albums/abdullah-ibrahim-ekaya-sotho-blue/

:heart:

5 Likes

Rolling Stones - Blue & Lonesome

18 Likes