What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Glen Campbell By The Time I Get To Phoenix

17 Likes

Hank Jones & Tommy Flanagan
I’m All Smiles
MPS label

20210204_102614

AllMusic Review by Ken Dryden

Although Tommy Flanagan tended to refer to two-piano dates as a gimmick, that’s hardly the case during this superb 1983 concert in Germany with Hank Jones. The two pianists have the kind of feel for one another’s playing that avoids the crash of egos and instead inspires the give and take necessary for each performance to reach its full potential. Immediately, the two veterans captivate their audience with a stunning aggressive improvisation upon Charlie Parker’s “Relaxin’ at Camarillo,” then immediately quiet them with a soft, lyrical interpretation of the gorgeous ballad “In a Sentimental Mood.” They’re clearly having a lot of fun during their upbeat waltz through the popular ballad “Someday My Prince Will Come.” The rest of the concert is every bit as fulfilling, with an inspired treatment of “Rockin’ in Rhythm” getting the nod as the highlight of a memorable evening.

:heart:

3 Likes

81WAllad8iL.AC_UY436_QL65

9 Likes

Old school blues and harmonica. Fab!

6 Likes

Radio 4 Extra | Round The Horne

11 Likes

Joining you with that one with 2019 remaster.

1 Like

Can’t beat a bit if Orrible Oo

1 Like

61vseNoV2yL.AC_UY436_QL65

10 Likes

The Truth According to Ruthie Foster
Listening to this great album you can hear why it won the Best Contemporary Blues Album 2009.

7 Likes

2 Likes

I love this record. It has the long version of Blondie’s Call Me and is generally disco-tastic.

4 Likes

Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow

I see this has just been remastered. I wonder how long I’ll be able to hold off before the inevitable. Mmm… I have the original vinyl version, but am currently playing the CD version ripped to NS01.

8 Likes

If you had told me at the time when this album came out It would become a favourite I wouldn’t have believed you. I was obsessed with Guitar bands at the time.

Michael McDonald’s solo album from 1982

8 Likes

91PLkdOFSBL.AC_UY436_QL65

Blondie - Autoamerican

17 Likes

Jonas Kaufmann - Wagner

This came fairly soon after Jon Anderson in my directory, so as I haven’t played this for a while… I wonder if he’s been involved in any complete recording of Die Walküre (as Siegmund) or Siegfried, preferably with this orchestra and conductor.

6 Likes

@Clive Can’t See a comparable orchestra / Conductor on CD / Vinyl

But he has done: Wagner*, Anja Kampe, Jonas Kaufmann, René Pape, Nina Stemme, Mariinsky Orchestra*, Valery Gergiev - Die Walküre ‎(4xSACD, Hybrid + Box)

More images

Wagner, Deborah Voigt, Eva-Maria Westbroek, Stephanie Blythe, Jonas Kaufmann, Bryn Terfel, Hans-Peter König, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, James Levine (2) – Die Walkure on DG video

One for yer ganderbag.

1 Like

Thanks, I’d forgotten that one. I actually listened to Gergiev’s version of Das Rheingold the other day, but didn’t have time for Die Walküre. I’ll try to listen to it at the weekend.

5 Likes

91xuleIZSSL.AC_UY436_QL65

7 Likes