What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Bob Marley. Uprising. Disc 10 of 11 from the excellent Complete box set and another that I already had a copy in my collection.

19 Likes

From the classic years of radio comedy.

1 Like

Michel Petrucciani / Ron McClure – Cold Blues

4 Likes

13 Likes

Mipso - Old Time Reverie
folk/bluegrass

2 Likes

51exUtNFvTL.AC_UY436_QL65

9 Likes

Pearl Jam

6 Likes

Bob Dylan. Trouble no more. Disc 2. Live

9 Likes

Mark Knopfler

Sailing To Philadelphia

Edward

17 Likes

61bfwj4fPBL.AC_UY436_QL65

24 Likes

Chilling to this on Tidal

20210204_173855

All About Jazz review

Two years on from its debut, Kairos Moment (Kairos, 2009), Kairos 4tet’s Statement Of Intent categorically proves that the critical applause granted to its first album was well-deserved. Statement Of Intent is full of energy, inventiveness and melody, demonstrating a maturing musical sensibility, and placing the band fairly and squarely in the top flight of the UK jazz scene.

Saxophonist/composer Adam Waldmann formed the band in 2008, soon after graduating from London’s Trinity College of Music. Waldmann’s writing, and his bands occasionally idiosyncratic but never self-indulgent approach to playing make for a vastly entertaining record. Pianist Ivo Neame, no mean saxophonist himself, has replaced Rob Barron, and delivers some delightful solos as well as fitting seamlessly alongside drummer Jon Scott and bassist Jasper Høiby in the outstanding rhythm section. Neame and Høiby are also two-thirds of Phronesis, another highly regarded UK-based band, so their partnership is based on an already fruitful relationship.

Most of these tunes are characterized by a quiet, reflective, beauty. “Simpler Times” has a gently rolling rhythm, over which Waldmann adds his warm, soft, tenor saxophone, and closes with Neame’s short but tender piano solo. The title track’s melody is a little wilder, but still immediately accessible, with a hint of Middle Eastern influence in Waldmann’s saxophone part and Høiby’s positive and confident solo. “Box Set Anti-Hero” is skittish and bouncy, with Scott’s lightly darting drums and Høiby’s pumping bass moving the tune along, “Me and You, 100o” mixes rhythmic variation with funky bass and drums.

“Maybe Next Year” and “The Calling” feature vocalist Emilia Mårtensson, who sang on one tune on Kairos Moment. Doubling up her contribution seems eminently sensible, for the young Swedish singer is blessed with a light, romantic and emotive voice that works perfectly with Waldmann’s melodies. Neame’s solo on “Maybe Next Year” is the perfect complement to Mårtensson’s fragile vocal.

Kairos 4tet’s Statement Of Intent emerges in a seemingly ever more crowded and creative British jazz scene. To say that the album is exceptional is, therefore, to praise it very highly. Statement Of Intent is exceptional.
:heart:

2 Likes

Probably my favourite of the later BMW albums, so many great tracks, Comin In From The Cold, Pimpers Paradise, Real Situation, Bad Card, Zion Train and of course the timeless Redemption Song. Never heard it on CD, my original LP still sounds superb. Hows the CD?
Nice Neville Garrick artwork too

2 Likes

The Chemical Brothers | Singles 93-03 | 2003
I just fancied some Chemicals as a bit of an antidote to the weather and general gloom! :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Lovely album and band. There was supposed to be a new one out last year. They bridge the tradition and the modern.

They were the last gig we went to at a granary arts centre outside Cambridge arse end of last Feb. Lady BC likes to swoon at Jesper Hoiby but was also very positive about the music.

1 Like

:joy::+1:

Indeed, and her Brahms is one of my favourite versions.

Claude

1 Like

This evenings instalment - Jet and Doc must save Lemmy but where is Mitch?

Radio 4 Extra - first broadcast in 1954 and set in the year 1971 - gripping stuff.

Lemmy is played by David Kossoff - Paul Kossoff’s father.

5 Likes

Latest CD from the great Japanese pianist:

Before he joined Hawkwind.

5 Likes

Travelling to the outer limits with Pipecock Jackson
Super Ape
20210204_183222

8 Likes